Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone got a Merc W124 90A Bosch alternator lying around?

Options
  • 27-03-2024 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

It's a long shot, but maybe some kind soul around Dublin has a working Merc W124 alternator, or at just he regulator lying around that I could buy for reasonable money, or borrow for a deposit until my replacement comes in? Need the car on the road Saturday morning, and the alternator decided today now is a good time to pump our 17V and slow-cook the battery.

Alternator is a Bosch 14V/90A, part number 0 123 335 002 (OEM: A0091540202) - 48mm, 6-rib belt pulley

It was used only with the M104 engine (2.8, 3.0 and 3.2 petrol)

Looks like this on the back:

The regulator is either a Bosch 1 197 311 211 or a Hella 5DR 004 242-061 (OEM: A0021548506)

Looks like this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Worth calling into an auto electrician. If you're sure it's just the regulator, then I'd reckon they'd sell you that alone, if, of course, they have it in stock. Maybe even a motor factor might be worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

From the part number it looks like it's originally a W123 part so include them in your search.

Have you tried Rory's Mercedes or Ned Kelly in Kilkenny

I also have this recorded in my parts sourcing list - "ad in donedeal All parts available Call 087 4647 111 has 123 parts" pretty sure 124 as well.

You're sure it's not this?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Mercedes-W124/16-ELEC-Over_Voltage_Relay_Replacement/16-ELEC-Over_Voltage_Relay_Replacement.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Appreciate the pointers. Checked the "usual suspects" already. Need to check with Otto still, but they have the regulator listed as out of stock online anyway. Was betting on Kilcock Car Dismantlers but no luck. Nothing that would fit or could've been cannibalised. It's not the end of the world, as got another car to fall back on to ferry some visitors around. It will be the most re-scheduled NCT of the century though ;)

The "0 123…" is a Bosch part number, not MB.
    It's exclusive to the M104.98x and M104.94x engines. Would have been found in W124, R129 etc.

And yes, absolutely certain it's not the overvoltage protection relay. Actually, it did its job and protected all the sensitive stuff. This has all the hallmark symptoms of a fried regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Oh, I assumed the 123 indicated a W123 part, it usually does and I know my 123 has 116 and 126 parts in it, so there is a lot of carry over between models.

If you can't find locally, this post may be of help. I probably have added to this list since, let me know if you want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭JP 1800

Try Almax Auto electric in Walkinstown, they have looked after me many times. I got an alternator for classics such as Volvo, Triumph and Rovers sorted with those guys. They can check the unit for you while you wait.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip on Almax. They're closed today, but looks like a good place to get my old unit refurbed for the parts stash once the replacement arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I have a 70A unit here if you're in Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Possibly too late for you but AES in Glasnevin would be worth a shout. They've had regulators I've been stuck for before !

Thanks w124man and welder. I've made alternative transport arrangements, and things worked out in the end. Got replacements in the post already. No longer a burning issue.

Advertisement