Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colonoscopy on Fri.

Options
  • 26-03-2024 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy on a Fri. It is taking place in The Hermitage. St. James are conducting the procedure, using the facilities at the clinic

I am a little worried about the fasting period before the procedure, occasionally I have felt dizzy when I've not eaten for some time.

So maybe someone can advise me on one aspect:

• Given I am not checking in for my appointment until 2pm on Fri. afternoon, will it be possible for me to take some nourishment on the night before? 

I have helpfully been advised by the initial phone call to me from St. James that it is ok to fast from the night before.

So I wish only to double check here, asking how others have handled the fasting?

• 'Particularly when the procedure is not taking place first thing in the morning, but later in the day?

Any advice anyone has will be a comfort to me, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ted222

The whole idea is to flush out your system so the more time you allow for this the better.

As I recall, I fasted from about 6.00pm the night before. I didn’t feel hungry at all. Just….. cleansed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

You should have gotten a written leaflet with specific instructions abut fasting etc.

If you don't fast for the required time, the procedure could be a complete waste if time.

Ring James's to clarify.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You would need to ask the place doing it, but the standard suggestion is to start taking the prep around 18 hours before the appointment which would still exclude evening solid foods.

Have you picked up the prep yet? It will have detailed instructions and may have an afternoon appointment specific section

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It's been a while since I had my last one but from recollection, you will not be allowed to eat the night before at all. When I had it, there was a full 24hr flush as such before hand but I know that the prep has changed in most places to be 12-18 hour one. The whole idea is that your system is empty so they can see it properly so eating something the night before would defeat the purpose.

I think considering the questions your asking, you need to get the prep asap from the chemist and read the instructions on it be comfortable with it. Then, if necessary, ring St. James's to get you specific advise. That way you'll know exactly what you need to do.

Most people would be similar in that not eating for a long period would drop their blood sugars. I am the same but I was able to manage ok with it for 1 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The prep is made up to include essential salts so is ok for everyone exceot some medical issues which you will see in the leaflet.

If you don't fast from normal food for the time instructed you won't get a proper clear out. And you may have to have it done again.

Its not pleasant but most people are fine and can cope with it.

If you have any medical issues eg diabetes, or feel you just can't take it, or other queries you should contact the unit doing the scope so they can advise you.

Make sure you drink all the water they say to and have your prep made up in a jug with another jug of fluids and stay near the loo especially in the first few hours.

Its Good Friday so you won't be missing much if any consolation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

I went strictly by the instructions for my Colonoscopy. Didn't eat anything after 5pm. Was thouroughly cleansed.

I feel for you having to take the prep. It's an awful experience. Make sure and have lashings of Sudocreme on stand by. Best of luck with the procedure on Friday. I'd hate to have to go through that again 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

the fasting is not a problem , just follow the instructions , and don't stray too far from the toilet , some of the more modern preps are easier to take ie , smaller amount of prep followed by water , if you are given this one MAKE SURE to take enough water , really important , the prep is the worst part , the colonoscopy is a breeze nowadays not like the old day when you were given no sedation , (make sure they give you sedation ) ,

best of luck with the scope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Last one I had the leaflet said to even eat lightly and mainly white foods if I remember correctly for the couple of days beforehand as well. I know it's a pain not eating normally but the less inside when you start the prep the quicker and easier it is in my opinion. Luckily not eating for a while doesn't affect so I usually start the fast very early on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 InOrbit

Thanks all, appreciate the info.!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Personally think Vaseline is better in this instance! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

Advertisement