Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil service bereavement leave for funeral abroad

Options
  • 25-03-2024 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

has anyone had any experience being allowed to take bereavement leave in the CS to attend a relatives funeral abroad ?

my partner’s (we are getting married this year) sister in law passed away last week in the UK and we are still waiting on the details for the funeral (things can take weeks in the UK)

The circular specifies that leave can be taken for the death of an immediate relative of a cohabitating partner (sister in law is included) but also specifies that the leave is meant to be taken at the time of the bereavement.

Has anyone any experience of this ?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I wouldn't think you could use bereavement leave for your girlfriend's brother's wife to be honest (at the moment this is what she is, and I mean that with the greatest respect at this time)... The different country thing would be a misnomer. If eligible it would be eligible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Speak to your manager. Explain the situation. I would expect 5 days to be allowed-maximum permitted in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

That is incorrect based on the post, time for the ignore button

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

It’s literally there in the OP that they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Yeh... That's what I said at the end of the post.. If it's eligible... It's eligible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

As far as i know unless you’re married or related you’re nit entitled to bereavement leave. Check the circular. I had this issue some years ago. I took a personal day.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

I am now married and would be entitled to 5 days. Check the circular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think this is incorrect. I know my sister challenged it about 8 years ago when a member of her partner's family died. If you're cohabiting with your partner, they recognise it the same way as if you're married.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ted222

It certainly looks like you qualify but as you’ve alluded to, bereavement in its literal sense occurs at the time of death and not several weeks later.

It’s open to interpretation so you really need to check the position with your HR unit or Peoplepoint for a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

From the circular, (01/2017) it does look as if you are covered.

However, I would repeat the advice to double check with your manager and the NSSO for clarity on the timing.

A few years ago I was shocked to be refused bereavement leave for the day of my nephew's funeral, as nephews / nieces are not considered immediate family.

• Advertisement
Advertisement