Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny

Options
  • 24-03-2024 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Raheny seems like it is a fantastic area with a long list of positives for anyone who lives there. Could you point out any negatives to living in Raheny that any potential purchasers of houses should be aware of? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭tomfoolery60

The price of the houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I don't know of any negatives. Though I don't live in the area itself, I have friends who do and they've never mentioned any issues. The description "Raheny" covers a fairly wide area, of course, so proximity to services and amenities will vary a bit, depending on actual location.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,842 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm not from there but been there a bunch of times

Traffic on the Dublin/Howth roads would probably be the main drawback

A lot of the estates have cars parked on the roads so bit of a pain to drive around

Also you've got a lot of people learning to drive in the area, so patience is a requirement

If buying you'll most likely be getting an older house with the associated baggage in terms of wear and tear and poor insulation

Other than that it's a lovely area

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

Thanks for the responses. If traffic into town is the worst the area has to deal with then it sounds pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,842 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Actually there might be one issue, the place probably gets swamped in summer with people walking from the dart to the beach

Personally if I was considering an area I'd try to scope it out myself as much as possible. Take the dart or bus there, wander around, go into some of the shops and pubs and generally try to get a feeling for how the place is

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

As others have said it's a grand area.

I vaguely remember going back 20 years now problems with the water pipes in some of the older houses, I think they may have been lead pipes. I'm sure it's rectified at this stage but something to be mindful of.....plus I could be misremembering.

Like others have said, traffic can be an issue at rush hour but there are buslanes. The dart is there but raheny is massive so may not be worthwhile especially as trains are nearly always full by raheny at peak times (though admittedly since covid and WFH that may be changed)

As another poster mentioned there's a driving test centre there so you'll have lots of learners driving the route.

There's good primary and secondary schools in the area.

SuperValu is the supermarket, not the cheapest but there's a Dunnes, Tesco ALDI and Lidl in the neighbouring areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This doesn't happen in the summer. It can happen the odd time in Portmarnock. However, summer can be busy with traffic due to the park and the beach but it's not something that would put me off the area. The Supervalu is an overpriced convenience shop with a difficult to access (with a trolley) carpark behind it. Very few people would do their weekly shop there. The village offers various restaurants, a bakery, butcher, an obscene amount of chemists, takeaways etc...

It's a great area. Personally, I feel the closer to the park the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Dublin City rather than the North County.

Both my folks grew up in Raheny so was there regularly until relatively recently. Also lived there by myself for a few months during Covid.

It's a typical older inner suburb that's currently undergoing a fairly comprehensive generational change.

Missing some of the facilities of newer settlements (nearest large supermarket for example that's not price inflated is Donaghmede, Northside or Clare Hall) but you trade that for excellent transport connections, very nicely sized houses in general, and a quiet and safe area. Not to mention great proximity to the city centre.

No issues with beaches being swamped as there are no beaches, Dollymount is nearby but the regular summer influx of wasters that plagues certain other areas wouldn't really afect that as much.

Would recommend - but you'll need deep pockets. Bought a good bit further out, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

Grand place - lived there a long time - where I was wasn't the nearest to walk to eg. a decent shop - depends on where in Raheny - its big - but once driving or cycling, very close to some great facilities like parks, the sea etc.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There is a large (& mostly empty) beach. The Bull Island nature reserve is part of Raheny & is accessible from Raheny via the causeway where there's 5k of beach with a resident seal colony along with the salt marshes & the dune system. All walkable from some parts of Raheny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement