Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co parent question on CA

Options
  • 13-03-2024 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Just a query to co parenting parents around things like childrens allowance.

Is this shared between parents in a 50/50 Co parenting scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

OP: the children allowance if for the child to support the child. Who actually gets the payment will depend on the arrangements made to support the child. Usally i think it should go to the parent who the child resides with more, ie from what hourse does the child go to school every day.

have a think about the principle of it. " Parents, whether married or not, must support their dependent children, and spouses or civil partners must support each other according to their financial ability." citizens info there.

There are three main ways that you can come to a maintenance arrangement:

A voluntary maintenance agreement - agreed by the parents

A voluntary maintenance agreement using mediation or legal help - help the parenta agree

A maintenance order - ordered by the courts and binding on the parents.

if you agree a voluntary arrangement you ge the chance to decide where the payment goes. But again it will depend on each parents financial ability - so one size does not fit all. Its very specific to the circumstances, the living arrangements, parents jobs & salary, savings, is there a home, car etc.

hope that helps. My advice couples ar enot usually better off after a split. but makre sure the child is cushioned from the breakup as much as possible - and thats both parents responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Anyone here have had an amicable case where it's been split? It's something I'm looking for at the moment, but don't want to fight a loosing battle.

It's should be straight forward if the custody is 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

Might be easier to agree that whoever is in receipt of CA covers the cost of school uniform, books, all shoes, clothes etc and ordinary medical expenses for the child?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Are you asking whether the Dept of Social Protection will split the Children's Allowance and pay half to one parent, half to the other? My understanding is no, they won't. This would double the overhead cost of processing the payment, and one of the DSPs goals is to maximise the efficiency of the system.

There's nothing to stop the parents agreeing that whichever of them gets the allowance will remit half of it to the other parent, or will take responsiblity for certain expenses, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

That's something I had considered if we can't agree on a split.

• Advertisement
Advertisement