Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to add cooler unit to this

Options
  • 11-03-2024 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi , Would anyone know is there a self contained unit out there that could be mounted on this to cool it and deal with the moisture etc . It's all insulated and picked it up handy .

Imm planning on using it for deer .

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TheEngineer1

I have a busted fridge at the moment that I'm struggling to get parts for, a mounted unit could be the way to go if you have any info thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭renandstimpy

I chatted to a lad there that used to work for a refrigeration crowd and he reckoned to me that if I freezed water in plastic milk bottles and left them in the bottom of the insulated box and alternated them when they melt with other ones that are frozen ( like the fishing trawlers) that would work . I'm going to try that as I have a chest freezer at home and it is only to hang them before they are butchered. He was of the opinion that it would drop the temperature in the insulated box.

Inaugural use .. have others frozen to replace as they thaw .

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭keith s

Practical, quick + cheap solution by the looks of it.

If it works for what you need that's a great win!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭JP22

Maybe mad idea but, get a few bags of cheap ice from Aldi/Lidl and stack in the back, with the bottles they should last some time.

• Advertisement

I've a chest freezer and have loads of bottles frozen so can add them as needs be and no water mess .. but yes if I had no freezer that would defo be ad option 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 45 2023recruit

I called them today and there looking 450 euro for one of those. At 300 they ok but at 450 I think it's a bit of a push we'll more than I'm willing to pay for one anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

What's the origin, purpose, use etc of the original container you got? Looks like a better job than the bottle fridge I'm using.

They have a lidl sticker on them . I asked the lad I bought it off and he said lidl were using them to transport frozen food in trolleys they could wheel into them . They then could transport all the food by ordinary lorries instead of fridge trailers. I figured they must be fairly well insulated.

I checked it on Tuesday evening last and the bottles I put in on the Friday (5 Days ) were still half frozen and it was reading 5 degrees .. i could bring it cooler I reckon if I added more bottles but the deer was being taken out to be butchered anyhow. I'm happy enough with it anyhow , low cost and nothing to go wrong .. to get a door to seal like this one if i was making one would be impossible without an awful lot more expense

All I'm going to do is add 4 swivel castors to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm not sure where that lad that you were talking to learned his science, but the cold source needs to be at the top of the fridge and not the bottom,otherwise you'll need to distribute the cold by using a fan...

By having the bottles at the bottom, the cold will just pool there and the rest of the box will be at room temperature. The cold air will quickly flow out the door when you open it. Hope it helps.

• Advertisement

Yes I'm planning on adding a small dc fan .. I wont be opening the door only to put in and take out .. The reading of 5 degrees i got was at the top of it .. I'm not trying to sell them just what works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I just don't want you thinking that it's optimal for storing meat, but maybe it's fine for aging. That's all. 👍️

Nope , ill only be using for hanging , used to have a butcher that would let me hang but now he wont . I,ve a chest freezer for storing once it is butchered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

DRY ICE would be a better option for the top of your cooler box. Save yourself all the bother of wiring in fans and making holes in the box and stuff.

Cold air sinks, warm air rises.You need to have your frozen water containers as high as possible.Build a small mesh rack or shelf to fit between the two slats and put your bottles there. Dry Ice will last longer in a sealed box,so maybe give it a try? Just wear insulated gloves when handling that stuff.it can give you a nasty frost burn real quick.

https://dryice.ie/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Rescueme0007

I have a "drinks chiller" for hanging my deer, it's double door so reasonably large and works fine 0-5C perfect, I can get three carcasses in (Sika & Fallow). I do a couple of things to help it out. I bring three 3L ex-milk containers frozen solid in a cool box in the car when stalking. Once I have an animal gralloched, I get it back to the car and insert at least one of the frozen containers into the body cavity to cool the beast as quickly as possible. When putting it into the chiller I leave the frozen container in the body cavity and add two more on the top shelf of the chiller. I rotate out semi defrosted containers and replace with fully frozen ones while the carcass is in the chiller. It ensures the meat is as cool as possible (but not frozen) and reduces the work the chiller needs to do, thus reducing the cost. Very like your system. I'm just wondering should I experiment with just running the chiller for the first ten hours or so and then just using the frozen blocks. Food for thought. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭alex90

The freezer used for freezing the blocks is working harder to freeze them surely?

Advertisement