Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your X plane 12 download experience like?

Options
  • 01-03-2024 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Darth Randomer

Bought the cd key back in October before the price jumped.

Have now just to download most of the scenery. Everything else like the planes and flight Sim engine are done.

My rig is an Alienware i9 with NVIDIA Rx 4090 GPU.

My own experience: Apparently there is only one server and you cannot select an alternative server.

The download is frankly dogsh|t and keeps on breaking down. Have tried different internet too

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Z80CPU

Apologies for the delay...I hope that you have already been able to D/L the remaining scenery in the meantime. It's off that you should mention it, but I was assisting someone in the states who(from your description) was having a somewhat similar issue(though he needed a partial reinstall). I made the suggestion that he try downloading it at during the late evening(US time)/overnight as I had heard there is less traffic on the European (Aerosoft(I think)) servers. I wish I could verify this for a fact, butas I have the DVD version, any updating I do is the downloading of the updates when they are released

Post edited by Skyknight on

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Hey Z80CPU

That's Awesome. Really glad to hear you got the rest of the scenery down B). meant to' ask, were you D/L over wifi or was it via cable (cat5/6/7)? It might also depend on other factors such as attenuation etc. Yeah ...you, me and the rest of the XP community :D. we're all wait in with baited breath XP can be fairly resource intensive alright...(12 even more than 11) you been able to try AutoOrtho at all? I'm not sure what the performance on an Alienware i9 would be like though. I'm kinda fortunate in that I have a 'robust' system at the moment (the HD's were from my older system that died just over a year ago).. I have a feeling that XP was partially to blame for the demise of my i7-4790K 🤔... Also Great to great to here that you have rudder pedals as well, and Thustmaster tend top be a pretty decent make alright 😎

Post edited by Skyknight on

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

one month later ( say this in the tone of the narrator of these wojak cartoons on youtube )

…. And wtf has become of this vaunted venerated 12.1 update ? The one where landings generate sparks and added water effects. Well it got a blaze of publicity from X Plane dev and now notification about it has been quietly removed from the X Plane official website.

But there are vociferous types like me on fb and other places. These go unanswered with an ominous silence from the powers that be. Curious and curiouser.

And over on YouTube, X Plane Official has deleted ALL references to the 12.1 update

Making it vapourware.

Post edited by z80CPU on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

feck skynight, you ARE a masochist.

Yeah, downloaded all scenery successfully. Orthography quality is meh though. Waiting for this 12.1 update which will update a lot of features, like getting rid of the minecraft life clouds and incorporate sparking when you land the plane and the nacelles hit the runway.

bought my controls too like thrusmaster rudder pedals etc.

Advertisement