Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games for Beavers/Scouts

Options
  • 06-02-2024 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭

just wondering what people use to entertain the beaver groups, or other groups.

I guess we are similar as most groups and try games, with a mix then of skills etc. So wondering if anyone has any favorites they like to play and the kids like?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ship sea shore is a requirement every week. If we didn't do it we'd be lynched

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

😂

So similar to our group, we are looking at others

One of the leaders came up with X and O game a few weeks ago which worked well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Snatch the rasher (or knecker)

Kim's Game

Simon Says

Lighthouse Game

Land Sea Air

Crossed or Uncrossed

Shoes (can be a bit smelly)

Dice

(30 years service as Cub and Scout Leader so probably have a few more) 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lie down for 60 seconds. Who ever stands up closest to 60 seconds wins. Helps calm things down aswell if they are particularly boisterous

Bulldog is always popular although 1 person always ends up crying.

We do snatch the bacon and Simon says aswell but never heard of any of the others that Rory mentioned 🤣

All of these games work great for points if you have a "Six" of the year competition.

I'd always do one of these when we couldn't get outdoors, throw in some footdrill (not done nearly enough anymore unfortunetely) and you've a good bit of your meeting sorted.

Feel free to pick my brain for more ideas etc.

No longer involved, I've passed the baton onto my young lad, but I was a Cub Leader, Scout Leader, Venturer Leader, Wood Bead Holder, Member of the County Wicklow Training Team and Programme Commissioner for Cubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Thanks, I am just looking for idea's for different games. At the moment we are inside in the hall so it's just games we can use, Ship, sea shore is of course a favourite but we are trying to mix it up

Im just a new beaver leader this year but we are trying to pull together a list for long term as new kids come etc

Like the idea of Dice, games like that involving lots of movement is the plan. When you have 25 small kids they get very excited at the start so a game calms everything down :-)

A good one to calm things down is the minute game.

All the cubs/beavers sit with their finger on their lips and have to sit until they think a minute has passed, then they stand up.

Do it for a couple of go's and you'll get 5 mins of peace and quiet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Only new to this Beaver stuff, but one that has been popular with my gang is Knights or Sausages. One beaver faces the wall , away from everyone. The rest have a few seconds to either lie down (sausages) or stand tall (knights)The caller calls out either Knights or sausages. The ones who guessed correctly stay in, the rest are out. Repeat until you are left with one winner

Gonna play that tomorrow 🤪 It is similar to our heads and tails game where they put their hands on their heads or bum and we flip a coin. Lots of last second switches and cheating goes on 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

You will see some half squats at the start, but pretty hard to spring up or down fast enough with this version!

• Advertisement
Advertisement