Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC Premier League 2024

Options
  • 03-01-2024 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

The as yet unsponsored Premier League lineup is to be announced tomorrow (Jan 4th). No word on format or anything but I presume it will be the same as last year. I guess 7 players will be named plus then the Masters champion, or some PDC/Sky pick if that person is already in.

My 8 picks:

• Humphries
    • van Gerwen
    • Price
    • Smith
    • Aspinall
    • Cross
    • Chisnall
    • Dobey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Gotta assume Littler will get offered a place. Think I read he said he doesn’t want one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Could be wrong but would be surprised if Wright is not in. Not in good form sure, but 2 time WC, last time only 2 years ago. And he puts bums on seats i would say - more so than Dobey & Chisnall for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Replace Chizzy with Wright and that'll be it I'd say, assuming Littler says no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I left Littler out as he's said he didn't fancy it yet. If he is coming in, I'd swap out Chisnall from my original selection

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Wright should be no where near the Premier League. He's in terrible form and it could be the end of him if he's in it getting hammered every week. I think he needs time off to sort out his throw.

• Advertisement

Players have been getting into the PL for years when they don’t necessarily deserve it or are not playing very well.

Barney is one that comes to mind. Definitely got in 2 years when he was in poor form, poor attitude and if memory serves, barely in the top 16 cause he sold tickets moreso than someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭CONSI

well looks like dublin is pretty much sold out already

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭acceletor

If anyone has a couple of tickets together they cant use shout me.(sorry if this is not allowed mods)

Thanks

Edit : for Dublin

Looks like the same format again this year going by the press release announcing the sponsor

Each of the 16 league nights features a mini-event where the eight players compete down to a winner, with the top four from the final league table progressing to the season-ending Play-Offs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Humphries

Smith

Price

MVG

Wright

Asp

Cross

Littler

Surprised Wright made the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

How did Dobey not get picked?

Wright inclusion reminds me of Barney pre first retirement

Wayne doesn't usually get it right but here we go...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭CONSI

Chizzy will feel hard done by as will johnny clayton, at 9/10 in the order of merit, but suppose PDC feel Littler is a bigger draw. One think I will say though is I feel sorry for Humphries as his win seems to have been forgotten about in all the Littler coverage....Littler did amazingly but ultimately lost and the champion is getting almost zero coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭US3

Definitely would have swapped Wright for Dobey. It's mad that people were getting sick of seeing the same 10 players playing every week so they reduced it to 8 and make them play 3 times a night. Absolutely no intrest in this tournament apart from to see how littler gets on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As usual, I probably won't watch a single second of this until finals night.

I hope Littler's management has him prepared for the constant travel and media obligations as well as trying to play proper ranking darts. Personally I think it's a bad decision for him to do the premier league and I hope it doesn't ruin him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Yea, there's a few weeks ahead which are going to have a Player's Championship Monday Tuesday, Euro Tour qualifier Wednesday, and Premier League Thursday; not to mention the weeks with the UK Open or Euro Tours themselves being the day immediately after the Prem.

It's definitely probably a bit much for a young man who is in his first year on the professional tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

As someone who knows nothing about darts bar watching sometimes on tv. Does he take the money and what else comes with it from sponsors etc as who knows what can happen. Easy to cash in now while your value is high. It’s a situation having good advisors than ones who are in for a quick buck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

They couldn't leave him out after the publicity he has brought.

I can only think of the Taylor-Barney final and Rob Cross that has brought such a frenzy of UK if not Global Media. People will want to watch how it goes for him.

With Taylor's retirement and the winding down of Barney its been lacking a bit of sparkle so its been a great promotional story.

Of course with sky its overdone but it works.

Other than him reaching the knockouts it could end badly for him.

He might just be lucky in that Wright is on a downward spiral and Aspinall looks spent also.

I completely get it from Sky and the PDC's point of view. They would be mad not to pick him as long as he was willing to do it.

I'm just thinking from Littler's point of view. He will only have just turned 17 and it's a huge amount of commitments for a kid. I hope it goes well for him.

It’s his career, he had already left school for it . All other sports at that age have the same commitment , more travel in some actually. It’s unlikely but he could well be at his peak, he needs to strike while the iron is hot just in case. I hope it goes well for him too. Seems like a nice lad.

I feel Littler is making hay himself. His stock is sky high and he's trying to cash in. Let's face it, he's dead right. He doesn't need to play all the players championships or euro tours either and would be wise to skip chunks of them. Just do enough to ensure a place in the end of year finals. He'll probably be added to the world series exhibition stuff too.

He's starting from zero on the Pro/Euro Tour order of merit so he will have to play in as many as he can in the early stages of the season. If he does very well then he might be in a position to skip some later in the year but there's no guarantee of this. He needs to make the top 16 of a rolling one year order of merit to try qualify for the Matchplay and Grand Prix.

This is why I think the packed schedule of the premier League could go against him. We'll have to wait and see.

It could be too much too soon but if there's 60k minimum up for grabs you'd be foolish not to take it.

If he performs well or adequate he'll make a few world series events on the back if it and the prize money expands further.

I would be wary for the young lad too but they couldn't leave him out.

PDC have always looked to a 1 million prize for the world champion. Like it or not the publicity that Littler has brought is the type of thing that could make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,774 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Littler seems to be in all the posters now

He's on the Euro tour one now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

1m for a world champion is too much. Matchroom will always talk up tournaments etc, that's their role as promotors. However, they have to know that there is only so much sponsors will or can pay.

Currently, most tournaments are sponsored by gambling companies. Inreasing regulation on betting and it's advertising, will limit their budget for sponsoships, or perhaps like happened with tobacco, prevent it.

Matchroom may need to look elsewhere to keep the big money in darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't think a ban on gambling company sponsorship is likely short-term, more of a medium-term thing. Albeit it's a Guardian cause-celebre and they hold some sway over the likely Labour government. I'd say any complete ban is still 5 years away so too far to worry about (there'll doubtless be some other regulations brought in before any ban).

Crucially sport survived the ban on tobacco sponsorship - in turn finding alcohol, on-line poker sites, pay-day loans, dodgy car-financing, crypto, betting companies etc. History suggests there'll always be some vaguely dodgy industry for whom sport is the perfect sponsorship vehicle.

• Advertisement

They were bracing themselves for a ban when William Hill finished up with the Worlds and went with Cazoo.

It looks like a ban on betting companies might not go through yet so they went back to one for now.

It is interesting how Matchroom seem to have all their eggs in one basket when it comes to sponsorship.

Cazoo didn't really work out so would be interesting what would happen if regulation were to come in.

Advertisement