Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for Redesign of Garden to make it pet and family friendly

Options
  • 20-12-2023 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi,

Just got a quote to redesign a garden (25ft X 25ft) approx.

New design will be 5ft X 23 ft Dog run. Rest will be Indian Sandstone.

Quote was €9,500.

Does that sound reasonable?

Jos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hi Jos. It sounds ok. We had our front garden done with brick pavers about 2 years ago for 6k and it was around 45sqm.

What i'd say is don't focus on price too much. Make sure you have seen previous work. If it's done poorly it will be really noticeable.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jos_kel

Thanks Gusser09,

You're right better to get it done right. Saw that they have 26k likes on facebook and showcased their work.

That said I'm guesstimating 60sqm (including dog run which in theory shouldn't be as expensive as paving). They are also going to do side entrances (we have a detached house).

So doing a pro rata with your price (45sqm => 6k), our job is 60sqm if not less should be 8k. We were quoted €9.5k.

Perhaps overthinking which I'm inclined to do :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree with Gusser, check their work and make sure you are very clear about what you want and what they will do. Its a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question as so much depends on the site, machinery needed, details for finishing, type of gates/doors on the house sides, where you are located etc, so its difficult to exactly compare. If you are entirely happy with what they are offering and what you can see that they have previously done then go with it rather than fretting about exact amounts of money.

One little trick, choose a few random photos on their website and do a reverse search on them, they should all come up as exclusive pics rather than appearing on other websites.

Yes makes sense. Thanks Looksee.

BTW what is a reverse search. Do you mean search for the name of the image in google e.g. "GardenPic1.jpg"

Ah, tech has snook up on me. Up till about last week you just left clicked on an image and selected something like 'search with Google' from the drop-down and it gave you all the possible places to find the image. Now apparently you need something called 'Lens' which I haven't sorted yet. Why do they keep fixing things that don't need fixing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

I'm a landscaper, Indian sandstone will need a lot of looking after. It looks great initially but quickly looks dirty and will eventually get black lichen spots all over it. Regular power washing and sealing will prevent some of this. Also grout will start to break up after a few years. These days porcelain is the go to material, bit more expensive though.

Hi

Following on from original post.

Job is almost done and am satisfied with it.

However, after removing some small trees and bushes it’s become apparent that the fence between us and the neighbours is imbalanced.

The posts are their side.

Garden designer has quoted €850 to put in 6 6ft posts to align the fence so that section at least doesn’t tilt into the dog run.

Does that price sound reasonable?

In the future we might consider doing all the fence so that it’s all on our property rather than it being a single common fence.

Never even noticed this as an issue before when the trees 🌲 were there

Sounds like a lot, unless there are complications that we do not know about. Even then it would be a lot. Surely can't be more than a days work? Is he under the impression he is putting in panels as well?

He said they have to cut tile again as they’ve already laid slabs. Although 5 of the 6 don’t involve that as dog run has sand.

Before I get back to him. If you were to hazard a guess. He has a few lads with him. He’s finishing a few other bits and pieces on Thursday and said all will be done in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Any chance of a photo of the finished job? I'd love to see what 10k will do nowadays

• Advertisement

It was 8.9k

📸 Watch this live video on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/share/v/D8oonc2Lp5n7K7L2/?mibextid=KsPBc6

He’s just confirmed it’s €850 for 6 posts (no panels).

Get the feeling he’s not interested in the job unless I make it worth their while.

Might just leave it and get someone else do the extra work

Thanks and congrats. I'd be very pleased with that work.

Glad to hear that. Wasn’t sure how it measured up in terms of bang for the buck

Fence just alignment and then a lick of paint and it’ll look great. Redesign has revealed lots of years wear and damp of what the trees were hiding on the fence

Sometimes it's worth the extra few quid because there is some woeful chancers out there.

Just to round things off.

Any recommendations on painting/treating that fence?

Thinking some sort of dark green/gray as low maintenance and hide some of the weathering of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Your garden job looks great! We went with the cuprinol ducks back forest green. We painted our fences 2.5 years ago and they still look great. Would give a nice contrast to your garden. Woodland green in same brand could be another option.

Hi,

Our fence is currently yellow-cream.

Was going to go as dark as possible, Urban Slate, Dark Gray.

Is it better to use Cuprinol Ducksback or Cuprinol Shades is wood is already painted? Or does it matter?

A dark grey will be nice. If it's already painted, I'd say the Shades is the better option, and there are more colour choices. Ducksback is better on raw/unpainted wood. Probably need at least 3 coats for longevity, happy painting :)

• Advertisement

Hi,

https://fb.watch/r5rZ_lWv2C/?

Just got garden redesigned (See video above) and planning on painting the fence Urban Slate grey (Shades).

Was going to paint the back wall and shed the same low maintenance colour.

But thinking it might make garden look too dull if everything’s grey.

Should I paint the back wall and even possibly the shed a bright colour.

A low maintenance bright colour if such a thing exists.

It depends on what effect you are looking for. If you paint the wall and fence grey it will 'disappear'; a bright colour will be cheerful but will bring the edges of the area in, making it look closer. You do have the big area of paving creating space though. Grey will soak up light, which would not be so good for plants growing on the wall/fence. If you are keeping it simple I would suggest painting it grey and painting the shed a brighter but still somewhat neutral colour like a blue. Stand a few large pots of plants/bulbs/small shrubs around the edges. You will need shade tolerant plants in some areas.

That's a nice blank canvas you have :)

If it were me, I'd just freshen up the back wall with it's current colour, do the fencing the urban slate, as you wanted, then do the shed a nice colour like a rusty red or bright blue. This would give the garden a bit of contrast.

The beach blue or forget me not is nice the chart below and would contrast the dark grey. If I had your garden, I'd be going all out and throwing in some sweet sundae paint somewhere but pink isn't for everyone!

Thanks a lot. Bit a novice with colours. Not sure the colour of the back wall. Guessing Country Cream would do the job even if it’s not an exact match. Can give it 2 coats?

Does Garden Shades work on both wood and concrete?

Yes that could work, or the natural stone colour if you want something less creamy.

Yes it works on both, 2 coats should do it.

Thanks or would Pale Jasmine be too white and higher maintenance

One final question as you’ve been so helpful. Do you think it would be a good idea to paint the sleepers around the flower bed or leave looking natural?

I think anything light will need a touch up every 2-3 years realistically. I think it's too white for a garden wall personally.

Ah just giving my opinion :) I'm no expert really, we have a fairly wild garden here, 2.3 acres but the fences and gates look decent with the paint job and it's a long term enjoyable project.

I think the sleepers will depend on what flowers and plants you're putting in there. Id leave it for now, focus on the rest, get your plants in then see what colours need to be balanced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement