Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand new drafty window

Options
  • 24-11-2023 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum.

So before I start, I wanna just say thanks, for you reading/replying to my thread.

So basically I got new windows installed about 6 months ago.

They seemed grand but the weather wasn't too bad so I couldn't tell as much. However now I can.

The windows are double glazed upvc.

So I put the heating on, pulled the blinds, closed the curtains and was sitting in my sitting room watching the TV. However, my legs felt a little chilly.

Just to see, I put my hand to the lower corner of the curtain (where the curtain sits against the floor and wall) and low and behold a good draft.

To give you an idea of the strength of the draft, I put a flame to the floor...the flame was perfectly vertical and no flickering... I then moved it to the lower corner of the curtain where the draft is.....while the flame didn't extinguish...it went completely sideways and started to flicker a little.

So my question is...is this normal?

I'm thinking if these are new windows, there should be zero draft, zero cold air...nothing. Would I be right here?

I forgot to say that the sitting room, where the front window is bay.

I heard that this type of setup can offer certain characteristics regarding drafts, etc.

So, do ya think I should get back onto the installers and mention this problem?

Thanks again.

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Hi. You should definitely get on to the supplier of your windows, something is deffo not right there. Can you say who supplied and fitted them?

I am in the replacement door and window industry for 35 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

I would prefer not to say. All I can say is that they're a well known window company.

Thanks for your reply BTW. Will get onto them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Reputable companies would sort this under warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is there trickle vents ? If not then they've most likely not sealed under the window board properly . It will leak air and be quite windy during winds. Not good. They'll probably have to lift the window board for a proper check.

• Advertisement

Ah they will look at them. They are a reputable company.

There are no trickle vents.

There is a normal air vent in the wall of the room anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I also have a bay window fitted with double-glazing. It's very drafty. The main problem is the warm air from the room hitting off the cold ceiling in the bay and then the cold windows and flowing downwards, you'd get a cold neck if you're sitting under it or cold legs if you're a bit away.

So if it's not what listermint says and if there aren't gaps or leaks then I'd be willing to bet that it's just the reverse convection off the colder glass panes. Why you noticed it now and not previously would then be the other question.

OK, thanks.

I did notice this before. This (and other issues with the windows around the house) prompted me to get new windows installed.

I hope this issue is resolved as the sitting room is uncomfortable when you've a draft at your legs all the time.

Agreed.

What width and height are the windows, can I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Modern double glazing is mostly all A-rated. Cold air convection doesn't happen with them. Argon gas in between glass, warm edge spacer bars, low e interior glass all make up an a-rated glass unit.

• Advertisement

I've a bay too. Ripped down the ceiling and stuffed it with rock wool. Don't delay this job well worth it.

I did, still poxy-cold because of the framing of the roof and (slightly less) drafty downlighters.

You have to swap them out for sealed units. Do that ASAP.. airflow is a worse problem than lack of insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

I'll hazard a guess Munster Joinery... I lived in a brand new timber framed house. Windows were Munster Joinery, drafts and Leaks when the rain is falling during windy stormy weather. Keep an eye on them if I were you. One of ours if you leaned on the frame and gently pushed you could see the window had a bit of movement in them. Pure shyte they were.

Thanks so much all for the comments. I'm a complete amateur at the whole window things so 'sealed units', 'roof framing', 'downlighters'?...I've no idea what these terms mean. Sorry.

In response to the last 2 replies, it's not munster joinery (as I heard they weren't great) and the window measures about 5 ft high x 8ft wide and then the two side windows in the bay are about 1 ft x 8ft each.

There are 4 window openings in the main window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Susanf1

Hi, Im Wondering if youve any update on this? Did you go back to window company? Ive just installed new windows last Monday 29/1/24 - double glaze with laminate to deaden traffic from the road as Im noise sensitive and noticed straightaway that there was no improvement in the sound then by the openings (I put in two openings the old fashioned top small one in order to let in less noise than opening 1 whole side opening window ) I could feel cold and there is a draft coming in on them . When they put in the windows Day 1 and Day 2 there was very little wind, it picked up Day 3 and I really noticed the draughts then. Any advice appreciated, Im bitterly disappointed. I informed the company and they said they will come back to look at them . Thanks

Hi Susan, did the company initially recommend triple glazing for noise reduction or what is this laminate which they installed? Is the window a bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Susanf1

Hi there, yes recommended by the company, they are 3 standard windows, not bay

I put in two openings the old fashioned top small one in order to let in less noise than opening 1 whole side opening window

So these are casement windows with a top-hung opener when in the past you didn't have that top-hung opener, right?

If you're feeling drafts from the new windows then this is a clear defect and it should be resolved by the company. Drafts would allow noise in so these need to be resolved. But in general triple-glazing is a better option than double glazing for noise reduction... but the frame area (the bulk of the frame within the window) is also critical to ensuring noise doesn't travel in, and by increasing the amount of frame area (by adding a top-hung opener) you increased that frame-area slightly. So you have a trade-off there in terms of what you wanted (a top-hung window) versus better noise deadening overall.

Anyway focus on the drafts and I'm hoping that the noise should take care of itself, otherwise you might need to talk to the installer about moving to a triple-glazed solution. They might be willing to compromise and install triple on one window to see how it goes, but in my opinion they should have advised you initially in this respect.

Advertisement