Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pump Quotes

Options
  • 31-10-2023 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭

Mods can decide if naming installers is allowed.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

We'll stick by the convention and go with no names.

PM's for installers, the volume won't be as high as solar. If it gets out of hand, will need to be evaluated.

Unfortunately there's no "rule of thumb" regarding pricing currently. There's a lot that can be done in a heatpump install. Some may be able to just drop it in, some would need to change radiators, some will need a new DHW tank, (as the heating coil may not be able to transfer enough heat fast enough to prevent short cycling)

Grant/no grant and the process of actually getting it and obtaining the technical assessment and heat loss to be able to get the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭con747

Put a note on the thread title like the Solar Quotes thread saying no naming installers?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Just to get things started. Have been looking at replacing the boiler with a heat pump over the last couple months and getting prices so here are a few:-

Thermia ITecEco 8kW with Thermia 180l cylinder, supply and fit, €10,950 ex. Vat. Replacing 6 rads €2295 ex. Vat.

Midea 10kW with 300l cylinder, supply only, €5635 ex. Vat.

Hitachi 11kW with 220l cylinder, supply only, €7575 ex. Vat.

15no. new rads €5082 ex Vat.

Hitachi 11kW with 220l cylinder, 13 radiators, supply and fit, €11029 ex. Vat.

These are all before grant which we would be eligible for.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Thermia ITecEco 8kW with Thermia 180l cylinder, supply only, €6,825 ex. Vat.

UFH (193m2 bungalow), supply only, €3,675 ex. Vat

New build, not eligible for grant.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Viessmann Vitocal 222-a monobloc 8kW heat pump and indoor unit. Replace 12 radiators with Alu equivalent.

Supply only €15,900 inc. Vat.

Looking at the heat output for the new radiators we don't seem to be gaining anything over the existing.

Without radiators Supply only is about €8900 inc. Vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

What's supply only on this part? 'UFH (193m2 bungalow), supply only, €3,675 ex. Vat'. That all the heating stuff you'd need to DIY UFH once the space was ready? It excludes the prep and concrete pour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 phil_space

Not a quote, but it might be a useful yardstick for those getting them.... I had a 10 kWh Viessmann 151-A installed in May. Cost of installation plus booster pump plus 1 additional 'over-sized' aluminium rad €18.7k inc. vat. What I hadn't considered at the time was an additional 1k+ for electrics, so close to €20k overall. So check whether any quote you get includes all electrical connections/weather compensation setup etc. Grant at 6.5k brought overall cost down to 13.5k. Very expensive, but Viessmann's a premium unit and we intend to stay in the house for good. COP for October was 4.2. Obviously, Winter will tell the whole story but very happy so far.

that's for kit only, the plumber installed it for €1k. you can DIY the laying of the pipework but for the rest i'd recommend a plumber.

to get a contractor in to lay the 75mm concrete screed cost 5k. the concrete itself cost just under 2k (€130/m2 ....its daylight robbery at the moment). a few rolls of plastic to put under the UFH pipes cost a couple of hundred.

UFH kit = €4.5k incl. VAT (that's everything...pipe, fittings, clips, manifolds, thermostats etc etc.)

75mm concrete screed (labour & materials) = €7k incl. VAT

plumber (2 days) = €1k incl. VAT

total = €12.5k incl. VAT

it took two days to lay the pipe and connect the manifolds (i helped him with the pipework). i'm still waiting on him to come back to plumb the ASHP and cylinder.

NOTE: One cost that's missing is the electrician. he ran the first fix cabling for the thermostats and wired up the manifolds. that took a day.

i hope the above helps, let me know if you've any further queries.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Wow, appreciate the detail. So 12.5 (inc vat) for ufh setup but excluding the sparks. And excluding the heat pump.

correct. the heat pump looks straightforward as far as installation goes.

to give you an idea of timescales...

the unit is located next to the back door leading from the utility. the pipework from cylinder to the unit is less than 6 metres in length (about 2 metres from unit to where the flow and return enter/exit the house), it took the plumber 15 minutes to run the flow and return pipe through a dedicated wavin to the unit - it is yet to be connected at either end. the electrician ran a cable from the mcb in the utility through another 110mm wavin pipe - which was put in at foundation level at the start of construction - and runs from utility to the unit (no more than a 4m run of cable). the electrician has fitted an isolation switch next to the unit and now has to come back to connect the cable. then drive an earth rod into the ground beside the unit.

i reckon it'll take him a couple of hours max to do the above and wiring the cylinder is a doddle. from start to finish i estimate the electrician will have spent no more than 2 days wiring the unit and cylinder - first and second fix including second fixing the 7 thermostats. the plumber has spent a day so far plumbing the cylinder and hot and colds. all he has to do now is connect the pipework to the unit and to the cylinder.

note: the 6.8k ex. VAT for the unit and cylinder includes commissioning by the supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

I Posted this yesterday being unaware of this Discussion:

"With a €6,500 Grant and my Solar PV generating decided to look into air to water heat pump system.

Got my first price for an install: €13,655 and any additional piping or radiators would be extra

As far as I can make out a Heat Pump and Cylinder would cost less than €6,000

Strong parallel with the Solar PV rip-off"

Having read the above I think I will forget all about it; I could be Ninety Plus before return on investment.

Though my principal concern is to protect our environment

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭conor_mc

General question, what are the considerations on heat pump payback? Take example above, net cost after grant of 7,150. You need some form of heating, so some offset of boiler replacement cost against that figure assuming existing boiler is near end of life - no idea how much for a replacement boiler, 2-3k? So you’re only trying to get payback on 4-5k over the heat pump lifetime. Any other considerations? Would you put a price on the additional comfort overall?

I am finding quotes for pump and cylinder have ranged from about 6-12.5k ex. vat and if I can get a payback figure of 5-6k after grant and install I think I'll be doing ok. Not all heat pumps are equal so that has to be taken into account when pricing.

Our oil boiler is reaching replacement time and I don't think I would see much change out of 3k. I don't want to put in another oil boiler for environmental reasons as much as anything else and I'd would like to get it out of the utility room.

I'm due a visit from an installer in the next couple of weeks and hoping to get a truer picture of what the cost and work is going to involve.

I have toyed with the idea of going diy but I'm not sure there is the saving there to justify it plus some manufacturers are strict enough about having a registered installer if a warranty claim ever arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alan McG

So how did you get on with the installer?

Who did you go for & what was the quote? Were you happy with it?

Can I also ask who you got your previous midea quote from (PM me if you need to) I'd be interested in maybe getting them to quote me. All I can find is the supplier Pipelife.

Haven't had the installer visit yet, few personal issues have arisen in the last couple of weeks so I have to re-schedule.

The Midea quote I got from Pipelife, they are the agents as far as I am aware. They did also quote for the Hitachi unit as well.

Advertisement