Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cider. What might happen next.

Options
  • 06-10-2023 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

After making cider two weeks ago I had a bottle of apple juice sitting in the fridge that id forgotten about. Fermentation vessel was full so didn’t have place for it.

Was about to throw it out yesterday when I decided as an experiment shake it up, put an airlock on it and put it in the hot press.

Today low and behold it’s bubbling away nicely and forming a nice little crust on top.

My question is what is likely to happen ? .Will it produce vinegar or something else and is it gone off after sitting in the fridge for two weeks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You can only answer that question by tasting it.

The hot press isn't a great place for fermentation, incidentally. Yeast behaves better at room temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Thanks Beernut . Yeah I know the hot press is not the best place for it and it’s only there to get the temperature up from about 8 degrees to about 18 to kick off.

What im curious about is that most online information says that you can’t store apple juice in the fridge successfully for any more than a few days.

In any event it’s only an experiment with two litres so not enough for a party or indeed not enough to thin a few gallons of paint depending on the results. 😋

I actually tasted it when I was thinking of dumping it and it tasted fine.

If it tastes fine, drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You know it's probably 0.0% alcohol yeah?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Well no alcohol now but if any wild yeast survived the time in the fridge will it not feast on the sugar in the juice and produce alcohol. Tasted the juice and it’s still very sweet.

Definitely something happening. Bubbling away nicely and crust appearing on top of the vessel.🤔

If it's fermenting, there'll be alcohol.

Will keep you posted on this experiment. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Traditional cider uses the wild yeasts, it’s quite likely some were left over from the pasteurisation.

The downside is that it can take a looooong time for them to ferment out all the sugars, test it in 6 weeks and see if there’s any sugar left. Wild yeasts should ferment out pretty much everything so you’ll likely be left with quite a dry cider.

• Advertisement

Well finally tested today and very happy with the results. Nice sparkling cider with good alcohol content and lovely dry taste ( based on one bottle ) . So the experiment proved that you can store fresh apple juice in a fridge for up to two weeks before fermenting and it will turn out well. Cheers 🍻

Advertisement