Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probate waiting time 2023

Options
  • 26-08-2023 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone had any recent experience with the probate office? We went sale agreed in March having been told that probate had been submitted (it hadn’t). It was resubmitted some time in May but we haven’t heard anything since. When we went to sign contracts in late June, we were told by our solicitor that he had an application that took 12 months to be granted!!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

A relative of mine passed away last November, probate was granted in mid-April. This was processed in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3 briochebunny

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jellies

We are also sale agreed on a property in probate which was submitted in May. We were told to expect 16 weeks which means it “should” come out by end of September. No guarantees so fingers crossed I guess. Probate office seems like it operates in the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hannahmcvey

Any update on your probate? Ours was submitted end of May and still no sign. Query was raised end of October and was dealt with immediately. Solicitor keeps saying any day now and it’s been over 6 months 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

took about 3 months in dublin for me this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

I just learned that the house I went sale agreed on was, in fact, a probate sale and probate hasn’t been lodged yet.

As this is all new to me, could you please let me know who should I contact regarding updates etc? Is it my solicitor? The EA?

I rang my solicitor on Fri, he got in touch with the vendor’s solicitor but I haven’t heard anything back.

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gandar79

In my experience you will not get a quick response from the vendor's solicitor, more like weeks than days.

I suggest a two pronged approach - ask your solicitor to request an update from the vendor's solicitor (as you have done) and also hassle the estate agent as they have a direct line to the vendor and their solicitor takes instructions from only the vendor.

I strongly advise that you do some research into buying a house in Probate - we are almost out the other side of it but still not quite!

If the application for Probate has not been lodged it could be months before that happens - depending on the size of the estate and any complexities with the will and beneficiaries.

When the application is lodged with the Probate office it could still a very long time until it is granted (for example in Dublin Probate Office it is currently approx. 20 weeks from date of application).

I'm not advising you against a Probate purchase (we went ahead) but just to go into it with your eyes wide open.

Things I would be asking your solicitor to ask the vendor's solicitor at this stage are:

1. When do they expect to submit the probate application?
    2. will the solicitor being doing the application or the executor (Solicitor applications are processed quicker)?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

Thanks. So EA came back to me a while back, confirming the probate was lodged on the 5th Mar. I'm not 100% whether it's solicitor who applied or the vendor themselves. EA said initially, that it was vendor's solicitor who forgot to lodge it so I'm guessing it's the solicitor?

I have received my loan offer today, so literally ready to go just no house to buy.

Could you share more about buying in probate, from your experience? I will be chatting to my solicitor next week, but would love to hear how did it go for you, why you decided to go with probate sale, pros and cons? Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

How did you get on?

Funny part is most people are bidding like mad on these probate houses who most of the time require massive amount of work yet this mess about on the probate not reflected in the purchase price.

Living the life

Advertisement