Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headstone Inscription

Options
  • 20-03-2023 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

How much is a headstone inscription. Is it priced per letter. I can't get a conclusive answer on google.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

We're not creating a new forum for the sake of this. Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I don't know but perhaps you could call a couple of places and see what they say?

I'll be helping my mother sort this out in a few months time myself, but too early right now. Is it 12 months after, to let the soil settle?

Edit. I came across the below online, from an Irish website.

By and large, the more inscriptions you need engraved on your grave stone the more the headstone prices will increase. However, the type of font you choose for the lettering does not usually affect the headstone cost. In a similar fashion, etched sacred images in stonegravestone crosses, or personalized images also increase headstone prices. On the positive side, a beautifully etched image alongside elegantly engraved fonts can greatly enhance the look of a headstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

Could I ask an additional question?

I don't want to start a new thread.

My dad died years ago and my mum in the past year. I will have to write the inscription. I'll be fine with the main body of text, I just don't know how to start it. Is it standard to do "Reunited with his loving wife" or something similar? I don't want to mess it up :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I am sorry for your loss.

There's no standard wording, as such. That sounds like a lovely phrase to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

A friend of mine is looking for a headstone for her father right now. Her mother is still alive so not much help you there but one thing they are doing is looking at other graves in the cemetary for ideas as to the wording if thats any good to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

I'll be fine with most of it, it's literally just whether to do it as a completely separate piece of text or to join them. Might go for a wander around the graveyards where I live. I'm 130 miles away from home so can't check the local ones.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Having a chat with the person who will be doing the inscription might be useful, in terms of knowing what will fit in the space, telling them what you have in mind, and asking for their advice too.

Advertisement