Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer within ETB

Options
  • 17-01-2023 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I’m struggling to source any information about the process of transferring to another school within the same etb. I’ve contacted HR but have received no response as of yet. If anyone had experience/ answers to some of my questions I’d be grateful 🙂

Are you obliged to accept a transfer to a school that might be your 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice?

Do you retain your cid position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

My ETB sent out a transfer application just in the last week. From what I remember (two staff transferred out at the end of the last school year), you put down the area/towns you are willing to be transferred to, and then you may or may not get an offer depending on whether there is a need for your subjects in one of your chosen schools or not. It's up to you whether you put a school/area on the list. Like the CAO, only put down areas you actually want to go to. The form would come from HR.

You do retain your CID as your contract is with the ETB, not the school, you don't change employer, just your centre of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

If someone was to transfer within an ETB, I don't imagine they keep their post in the new school?

No, posts are attached to a school not an individual

Thought as much, thanks for that.

It's a real bummer in terms of wishing to move schools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

While you don't keep your post, it's worth noting that any previous post holding will stand in good stead when applying for a new post at the new school. Every school has its own politics and cliques though. Make sure your move is worth the risk.

Stay Free

Hi all, quick query related to the above that someone may be able to help me with.

It is becoming more and more attractive for me to request a transfer within my ETB. I have an AP1, and of course, losing this extra responsinilty and finances that come with it is an important consideration.

I am not finance or Math-orientated at all so just wondering does anyone know a quick, approximate formula to see how much money net I would be down each month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Its roughly 800 before tax a month, it's impossible to accurately give a post tax amount as everyone's circumstances would differ but I'd assume you are loosing a little over half to tax, usc, and pensions.

It's worth thinking of it per week, slightly less than 100eu, you could easily make it in grinds for a lot less hassle, it wouldn't keep me in a school if I wanted to leave, life is too short and, as the above poster said, you'd be in a good position in the new school to apply for any posts that come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

AP1 is pensionable salary so if anywhere near retirement ( under a decade ?)that needs to be SERIOUSLY considered also eg five figure lump sum loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

And apart from the lump sum loss it will also be worth nearly 5k in your annual pension if you joined before 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Frankieor86

Hi all,

I have applied for an internal transfer with the ETB. My commute is crazy so, I decided to try and find something closer. A job, in my subject, has become available in one of the schools that I selected on the transfer form. I rang the etb and they seemed confused and told me that I will have to apply for the job as normal and interview for it too 🤷🏻‍♀️ I thought that I would automatically get this job with a transfer. They told me that it only means my CID is safe should I get the job. Is this right? I don't mind interviewing, I just hate being in limbo and waiting to find out

My ETB used to try and pull that stunt with teachers in my school looking for transfer, told them they would have to apply like anyone else and would lose their CID. I'd say get your union on to it. You might not get the job as someone else could also have applied for transfer, but if the job is there and matches your subjects, they should not be giving you the run around.

Thanks so much! I felt like the ETB didn't really know. They got so confused when I rang them. I'll get onto my union tomorrow.

Thanks

Some principals don't like taking teachers on transfer because they have no say over who they are getting and the teacher is CID/permanent, unlike hiring through interview. So my guess is that some ETBs try and give applicants the run around to fob them off rather than allow them to transfer.

I can understand that. I don't blame them either. I know that my principal would recommend me in a heartbeat. I adore my school, but my commute is killer. I have emailed my union and I'm awaiting a call back 🤞I really appreciate your response because I couldn't find any information online

I contacted my union and I was told that this is outside their remit. I would have to apply, interview and wait. The position of successful applicants are then subject to internal transfer being retrospectively applied.

Well at least that is something. Realistically your ETB should be filling positions with internal transfer and then hiring for any remaining vacancies, but it seems that this area is a wild west. At least they were able to give you some information

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PopeyeJackson

Frustratingly our ETB is instructing that anyone who has failed the transfer route but applies for a desired school within the scheme must resign their current post and, if successful, return to a year one contract (even if on CID).

Advertisement