Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you did a FAS course in the early 2000s, what is the equivalent FETAC level?

Options
  • 07-10-2022 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I know this is a long shot. My brother did a 1 year FAS course in toolmaking in 2001. He went straight into a job and has no idea what he did with whatever cert he got. Now he needs to know know what qualification he got. Is there any way to find out?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lindy123

This was an accidental duplicate post - which I deleted :)

Couldn't figure out how to delete the whole comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lindy123

A lot of issues here, so I will try to be brief. In 2001, NCVA became FETAC, and in 2012 FETAC became QQI. If your brother definitely got a Cert, then it was most likely accredited by either NCVA or FETAC, but you will now have to check with QQI. (Details later).

If checking with QQI is too difficult, you could locate your nearest ETB and contact the Adult Education section, who issue the certs for courses they run for adults. If there is a helpful staff member there, they could make the necessary calls for you. It is hard to know what level it is. Definitely not an apprenticeship (Level 6) as it was only a short course. Also the levels changed in 2001: NCVA Level 3 became FETAC/QQI Level 5.

The official way is to follow the instructions below, pasted from the QQI website (sorry, I can't post links).

Lost Certificates Further Education (Levels 1 - 6)

"If you have lost your Further Education and Training certificate awarded by NCVA / FETAC / QQI (1994 – present), we can offer you a Record of Awards which is a full statement of all your FET certificates and components and their grades."

HOWEVER, the advice is different if your brother did a Craft Certificate, as he needs to email appship@solas.ie 

"NB: Learners who have completed an Apprenticeship/Craft Certificate with FÁS prior to June 2001 should not follow the above process. Instead, they should send their requests to SOLAS, the body now responsible for Irish Apprenticeship training, at the following email address appship@solas.ie and they will advise further."

Good luck to your brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

There is a service within QQI that recognises qualification. There is a facility on the website to put in a query - upload a picture of the cert and they will advise its equivalency. Not all courses in FAS were NCVA/FETAC there were non accredited training and City & Guilds etc going back to the early `'00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fogfurn

It’s QQI level 6 now

Advertisement