Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4, Cula4, TG4 +1

Options
  • 21-03-2022 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭

So TG4 are going ahead with the launch of a full children's service under Cula4 and a broadcast launch of their +1 services, they also have a +2 service on their player.

But it looks like they are making efforts not to launch on Saorview. TG4HD still unavailable on their service.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Interesting! Any information on when they're launching these channels and what platforms they'll appear on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Hopefully they put the Cula 4 channel on Saorview and I’d like the +2 rather than the +1. It would be a good opportunity to go HD with the main channel also.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

Agree on TG4 going HD. Long overdue. Blurovision for rugby & GAA is hard to put up with. Its forcing saorview viewers (with access to broadband who don't have subscription TV service) to stream for better picture. Live stream wasn't working last Saturday night. I wonder is this due to demand overloading servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I see there that the survey link from NUI Galway has closed now. What type of questions were asked about Culá 4 & the commencement of TG4+1?

• Advertisement

Do you think TG4+1/Cula4 would be a good addition?

Do you use Saorview?

From what I can remember, they survey was a general audience survey.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Culá4 would be a good move to the increase the level of Irish among for young kids who find it a struggle to speak it.

I do use Saorview to access TG4. I don't watch it too often because the picture quality when watching older movies on it tends to be very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I really hate the +1 idea when a channel isn't in HD already, with online services they can catch up online, people want quality picture first in deciding what channel to watch, TG4 on Saorview is similar to a dodgy web stream of a football match. They must take their audience as being backward idiotic fools watching on 14 inch portables they bought in 1995 with their Christmas savings.

TG4 Player is outstanding though, I will give them that, near zero glitches, puts RTE Player in the halpenny house.

Cula4 got a rebrand today.

https://www.cula4.com/en/watch/

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Think they had that logo all the way back to 1999, when the TG4 rebrand took place. (They were “Culabula” in the TnaG era).

• Advertisement

potentially, would like to see them update Spórt logo also , culabula pre-tg4, not sure when the rebranded, may have been with the TG4 rebrand in 1999.

They have dropped the Cula 4 na nOg for pre-schoolers.

Old v New

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭political analyst

In the Sindo's Business supplement, under the headline 'Virgin and TG4 to set up new TV channels (See also the VM thread), Samantha McCaughren wrote that TG4 is planning to launch Cúla4 on Saorview in the middle of next year. A spokeswoman said it'll have a similar function to RTÉ Jr and a full schedule for children up to 12 years old and will become TG4+1 in the evenings. TG4's plans are being assessed by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts etc.

Don’t be holding breath on it launching any day now then.

It will be interesting to see how fast it will happen, guessing the minister isn't going ask for the publics opinions, though she could easily.

______

Yesterday

Will any of these new TG4 and Virgin channels appear on Sky?

Sky have said that they voluntarily provide Irish channels on their service. I suspect that they will but I assume both will need to talk to sky. RTÉ2 +1 is on Sky and I don't think it is available on VM.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

These new TG4 channels are a while away, I should think. Certainly not at the point where carriage deals are being agreed.

Mid-2023 I suspect they are hoping the department come back to them at that point.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

Yes TG4 plus 1 will be on saorview soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I'm not a fan of +1 channels on Saorview. TG4 have excellent streaming options which are a good alternative. I'd much rather see the limited Saorview bandwidth used for something new.

That's the issue though - Saorview as a platform just sits there and exists. It doesn't seek or encourage new broadcasters to join the platform to enhance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Most annoying thing for me re Saorview is every time I add a new channel and have to do a retune I end up with all these empty placeholders on the mux which transmits the new channel. I then have to delete all these placeholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Looking at digitalbitrate.com, it doesn't look like there's much capacity left. Maybe enough on Mux 2 for one more sub-SD channel. They could also replace the test channel on Mux 1 of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

So absolutely no chance of TG4 HD ever launching on the platform 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Unless a third multiplex is brought into operation. 😉

They should ad the +2 service rather then the +1

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Master Anorak

Do TG4 have enough kids content to fill a kids channel? I guess they could dust off some old Bouli tapes. Are they still milking Afric, almost 20 years since it was filmed?

I heard they are doing a new drama, they have an announcement tomorrow AFAIK for children's TV.

Bouli and Superted all pre-date TG4/TnaG, not sure if Bouli ever aired on the channel. They dub a huge amount of US shows (for the last 20 years they have aired 3 schedules for children, Cula 4 Na nOg from 7 to 9, and then Cula 4 from 9 to 12 and then from 2 to 5 or so), but also have their own animations and programmes and like you say you can cycle through them, though perhaps not as much as they have with Afric. Also since the 1990s kids TV have had far more repeats and the same schedule on a daily basis.

Though the bigger question might be are kids all that interest in scheduled TV. Irish language and even Irish content has a uphill battle to attract kids away from YouTube.

______

Yesterday

Dunno if Bouli ever aired on TG4, but contrary to some popular belief it’s not Irish in origin and was originally produced for what is now France 2. The English dub was knocking about at the same time as the Irish one (but the latter had a bit of a cult status here in the 1990s).

They don’t own the show and couldn’t just “dust it down”.

• Advertisement

No it never did, not even in its initial years on the air. I think it is remembered because of the opening titles and kids of that era coming in from school to hear it on THE DEN. "Fear Sneachta Ban sin e bouli 's a cairde Bouli Bouli"

______

Yesterday

Advertisement