Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird religious group around town.

Options
  • 25-01-2021 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭

Anyone noticed this bunch intermittently around the City centre in the last year or so? All appear to be Irish, male, mostly in their 20s and 30s. Very vocal, shouting about Jesus etc, carrying banners, flags and wearing hi-vis vests with bliblical quotes etc. Most of them, and I have to careful how I phrase it, B]MOD: still phrased it wrong[/B. Was on the 202 bus today and two of them got on, neither wearing masks. From what I could overhear from their conversation, and it wasn't hard to hear them as one fella was practically shouting, was the usual tinfoil hat lunacy about the New World Order, microchips and a bizarre allegation about Michael Martin which I wont repeat here.

Who are this crowd? Anyone else encounter them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Haven't seen them in Cork, but it sounds a bit like that crowd 'Hope on the Streets' in Belfast. Banners, flegs, hi-viz vests and always amplified.

They tend to attract a very odd bunch, including the fella who got planted on his head outside the McDonalds after he tried to fight the bouncer.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Saw 2 of them roaring and shouting on Paul street one day 2months ago, the were a really strange bunch. They looked to be Irish lads about college age or a bit more. They were definitely freaking few people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sounds like the new and more weird version of the old good new caravan lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's great when the lunatics wear hi-viz. You can ignore them from miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Saw 2 of them roaring and shouting on Paul street one day 2months ago, the were a really strange bunch. They looked to be Irish lads about college age or a bit more. They were definitely freaking few people out.

Yeah that sounds like them. At first glance they could be students, albeit scruffier than average. They seem to be from Cork. The first time I came across them was almost a year ago when two of them were coming down Barrack St carrying a huge sign saying something about Jesus. The two of them were kind of bantering between themselves and now and then one fella would roar out JESUS IS OUR SAVIOUR! And stuff like that.

I thought they were students having a prank till I saw them later with a larger group on Grand Parade. Theres a couple of middle aged guys who I suspect are the "brains" behind them, I get the impression they're running things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

Most of them, and I have to careful how I phrase it, appear to be on the spectrum or have learning difficulties.

Are you a psychologist? Did you get time to analyse and assess each person there in depth? If not you'd want to keep your opinions to yourself regarding judging autistic people and using "on the spectrum" as an insult.

sok2005 wrote: »
    Are you a psychologist? Did you get time to analyse and assess each person there in depth? If not you'd want to keep your opinions to yourself regarding judging autistic people and using "on the spectrum" as an insult.

Get off your high horse. It's a statement, not an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

You are correct in your assertion as I know one of the lads personally and he is definitely on the spectrum. Has gone all religious in the last 12 months and even all of his FB posts are Jesus related..

It's an insult when you compare an autistic person to a bunch of people you called weirdos and lunatics.

You obviously have no idea about the subject so either educate yourself or use other words to express yourself.

Stick to the thread topic.

Perish the thought that someone would jump in on your prejudicial soapbox.

I wouldn't have went near this ridiculous thread if you hadn't mentioned autism.

A simply apology and edit of your original post will suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Most of them, and I have to careful how I phrase it, appear to be on the spectrum or have learning difficulties.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-18-orders-what-they-do-now-1.773491
    Rosminians

The Institute of Charity, known as the Rosminians, was praised by the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse for its acceptance of responsibility for what happened in its schools.

The order was founded in Italy in 1828 and came to Ireland after it was invited to run a new reformatory school in Upton, Co Cork in 1860. It opened a number of other houses in the following years, many of which have since closed. The order has about 30 members in Ireland, with 300 worldwide.

The Upton reformatory school closed in 1966 and later reopened as a centre for adults with mental disabilities. The order has handed the school to the State, but it continues to have a pastoral role there.

It also ran St Joseph’s Industrial School in Ferryhouse, Clonmel, Co Tipperary. The order also transferred ownership of the property to the State, but retains a pastoral presence there.

The order is probably best known today for the Rosminian House of Prayer in Glencomeragh. It has scaled back on its involvement in education for the visually impaired in Drumcondra, Dublin, but it is represented on the board of St Joseph’s School for the Visually Impaired.

Its members run parishes in Clonmel, Co Tipperary and Faughart, Co Louth and also serve as missionaries, most notably in east Africa.
    Daughters of Charity

The Irish province of the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul has almost 30 houses around the State and in Kenya.

It came to Ireland from France, in 1855 and operated industrial schools, orphanages, centres for people with an intellectual disability, a hospital and a mother and baby home during the period investigated by the commission.

It is still involved involved in education from pre-school upwards as well as services for people with intellectual disability and services for older people.

The order runs St Vincent’s Trust, a community education service in the north inner city. This includes a nursery, a high support school and adult education.

The order has a presence in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Belfast, Drogheda and in Carnew, Co Wicklow.
    Brothers of Charity

The Brothers of Charity ran two schools for children with learning disabilities, Our Lady of Good Counsel, Lota in Cork and Holy Family School in Renmore, Co Galway, during the period investigated by the commission.

The Brothers of Charity Services was founded in Belgium in 1807 by Canon Peter Triest. The brothers opened their first services in Ireland in 1883 to provide for mental health needs. Today the congregation is the largest provider of services for people with an intellectual disability in the State, with facilities in the west and south of the country.
    Bolded the parts that may refer to people on the spectrum.

I'd wonder if a (new?) priest made a club that targets a certain part of their community, and this is what you see? Apart from the non-mask wearing, it may be a good thing that they have a club to be part of. Although I despise religious organisations, what you see may be innocent enough, but I doubt it.

Please find below a link that might help.

https://escholarship.org/uc/item/6zh3j3pr

It's a scholarly article and the findings were that persons with autistic spectrum condition were much more likely than those in the neurotypical comparison group to identify as atheist or agnostic, and, if religious, were more likely to construct their own religious belief system. Nonbelief was also higher in those who were attracted to systemizing activities, as measured by the Systemizing Quotient.

Again, calling an over zealous religious group autistic without any evidence is factually incorrect in this instance.

costacorta wrote: »
    You are correct in your assertion as I know one of the lads personally and he is definitely on the spectrum. Has gone all religious in the last 12 months and even all of his FB posts are Jesus related..

Wonder who's behind them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Anyone noticed this bunch intermittently around the City centre in the last year or so? All appear to be Irish, male, mostly in their 20s and 30s. Very vocal, shouting about Jesus etc, carrying banners, flags and wearing hi-vis vests with bliblical quotes etc. Most of them, and I have to careful how I phrase it, appear to be on the spectrum or have learning difficulties. Was on the 202 bus today and two of them got on, neither wearing masks. From what I could overhear from their conversation, and it wasn't hard to hear them as one fella was practically shouting, was the usual tinfoil hat lunacy about the New World Order, microchips and a bizarre allegation about Michael Martin which I wont repeat here.

Who are this crowd? Anyone else encounter them?

Local FG

endacl wrote: »
    It's great when the lunatics wear hi-viz. You can ignore them from miles away.

Love it

Haven't seen them in Cork, but it sounds a bit like that crowd 'Hope on the Streets' in Belfast. Banners, flegs, hi-viz vests and always amplified.

They tend to attract a very odd bunch, including the fella who got planted on his head outside the McDonalds after he tried to fight the bouncer.

Is this the video? Seems to be Waterford or the South East though preacher lad is a Nordie. Most of the videos feature another complete headbanger who when hes not harassing people on the street spends his time trying to board buses and enter shops without a mask then films the inevitable confrontations.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

sok2005 wrote: »
    Perish the thought that someone would jump in on your prejudicial soapbox.

I wouldn't have went near this ridiculous thread if you hadn't mentioned autism.

A simply apology and edit of your original post will suffice.

Adjust the internet to suit my sensitivities! IMMEDIATELY!!!

:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Referring to anyone as 'on the spectrum' while also referring to them as 'weird' and then later as 'like students albeit scruffier' is undoubtedly an insult to anyone suffering with autism.
    Attacking anyone who points this out to you by insulting them just compounds how wrong you are.
    Keep it civil please, that applies to all here not just the OP

Gaspode wrote: »
    Referring to anyone as 'on the spectrum' while also referring to them as 'weird' and then later as 'lie students albeit scruffier. is undoubtedly an insult to anyone suffering with autism.
    Attacking anyone who points this out to you by insulting them just compounds how wrong you are.
    Keep it civil please, that applies to all here not just the OP

My grand nephew is 3 year old autistic boy and tbh yes using the autistic description is hurtful and wrong to use in that context, I'm not over sensitive but putting my self in my nieces shoes and know fur definite shed feel a bit sad to hear it bandied about

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

Wonder who's behind them?

Religion ? The guy I know is claiming to be Born again. All about JESUS now on FB and had to block him as couldn’t be listening to that ****e .

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-18-orders-what-they-do-now-1.773491

Bolded the parts that may refer to people on the spectrum.

I'd wonder if a (new?) priest made a club that targets a certain part of their community, and this is what you see? Apart from the non-mask wearing, it may be a good thing that they have a club to be part of. Although I despise religious organisations, what you see may be innocent enough, but I doubt it.

Probably not. I'm no longer a practising RC but I don't recall that kind of street preaching ever being a thing with the Catholic church, not in Ireland anyway. It's something I'd associate with the American Bible Belt and some of the Protestant churches in the North.

Probably not. I'm no longer a practising RC but I don't recall that kind of street preaching ever being a thing with the Catholic church, not in Ireland anyway. It's something I'd associate with the American Bible Belt and some of the Protestant churches in the North.

I'm a practising RC and this is not a Catholic effort more an like evangelist jobbie

One of these fellas outside Bishop Lucey Park atm shouting into a megaphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Those preacher nutjobs have always been on Patricks Street every Saturday preaching for years.

Nobody cares and just walks past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/street-preacher-fails-to-halt-trial-over-singing-and-referencing-jesus-1.4395703
    A man who was arrested for breach of an anti-social behaviour order by speaking and singing about Jesus through a loudspeaker in public has failed to halt his trial due to be held on November 2nd.

Stephen Tallon, King Street, Wexford, was arrested by a garda who heard him “singing and referencing Jesus” in the Bull Ring area, Wexford town, on the morning of October 7th last.

Mr Tallon had in August been made subject of a District Court order prohibiting him from “engaging in public speaking and recording” anywhere within the environs of Wexford town including the Bull Ring area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIOkknfLRDY

One of these fellas outside Bishop Lucey Park atm shouting into a megaphone.

Give him a hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭cantalach

There’s another religious group around town with some truly wacky beliefs. A lot of followers meet up once a week and “eat God”.

I was going to say “you couldn’t make it up!” but as L. Ron Hubbard showed, you actually could.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cantalach wrote: »
    There’s another religious group around town with some truly wacky beliefs. A lot of followers meet up once a week and “eat God”.

I was going to say “you couldn’t make it up!” but as L. Ron Hubbard showed, you actually could.

That's the weird vampire cult I heard something about.
    I believe that they aren't "sexy vampires", though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There was a young fella with a megaphone and a Jesus hoodie outside BT yesterday and another lad handing out leaflets.
    Despite the megaphone, I genuinely didn't catch a single word he was trying to say as I walked passed him.
    Really wasting his own time.

• Advertisement

That spot where the corner of Bishop Lucey Park meets Tuckey St seems to be becoming a speakers corner for cranks. On Saturdays you either have the same bunch of five or six anti vax Covid deniers with badly painted signs or shouty evangelical Christians with megaphones.

Advertisement