Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to have good wifi abroad in a motorhome/camper van?

Options
  • 26-10-2020 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I was looking through the various offerings online for mobile broadband gadgets suitable for good reception while travelling abroad in my motorhome.

I'm happy enough to have a solid 15 Mbit/s like we have at home. What I do think might be an issue has to do with having an externally mounted areial vs a dongle thingy or a spare phone as a hotspot.

Anyone here in the know about such options?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

What's your budget? I use the setup below when I'm based in an area with no fixed broadband options and it would work really well for a camper van.

4G Router NETGEAR Nighthawk MR1100 Mobile Hotspot 4G Router
    4G Antenna Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 Cross Polarised 4G Omni LTE Antenna
    Adapter to connect themConnector TS9 Male to SMA Female Adapter Cable

Total cost would be about 400 Euro for the above excluding a SIM

Using a device that can be attached an antenna is usually a game-changer signal strength-wise. The antenna above has 4 suction cups for attaching it to a window but it can also be pole mounted.

If your looking for something low cost you can use the cheaper dongle provided by Vodafone (it's a rebranded Huawei) or hot spot your phone and see what happens signal wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

I got fixed up for about €180, for a mobile wifi with built in external antenna connectors, and a €70 log periodic directional. Happy days my upload speed is as fast as the download.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

apologies for jumping onto an old thread, but was wondering how that setup worked for you? I'm looking at something similar for my campervan. Do you get a good enough signal with the antenna on the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Shoog

I simply hotspot off my phone, if you have roaming and all you can eat data then it's more than adequate. Can stream HD media with no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

OK, that works some of the time, but as I'm inside a metal box, I was hoping for a stronger signal. I was planning to work from the van as well (laptop/zoom, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Shoog

What about just getting a mobile phone signal booster. Running another SIM based device is going to incur costs and not necessarily improve performance by much. If your in a poor signal area then there's not a hell of a lot you can do to boost it beyond what a basic phone signal booster will achieve since the receiver is working in the microwave range.

The metal box bit thing is a bit of a red herring since you have windows to place the phone next to.

if someone can demonstrate a significant improvement in performance then I am all for it, to me the thing that a dedicated system brings to the table is the convenience of a home WIFI setup - at a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Likely the cheapest option would be to get a dedicated mobile hot spot and stick it to the window with reusbable tape.

for something not so cheap:

If you are security and privacy paranoid, there is an organisation that is based in Switzeralnd called Calyx that does privacy focused mobile hot spots: https://calyxinstitute.org/hotspot-models

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Advertisement