Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookclub Clonsilla/Ongar Area

Options
  • 17-01-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody know of any bookclubs in the Clonsilla/Ongar area?

Thanks,

Caroline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

A little outside of the areas you asked for, but there is a book club in Blanchardstown Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Great thanks Pat

Right so I can't seem to find a bookclub in the area (I heard the Blanch Lib one is a bit highbrow, just not really what I'm looking for)so I'm thinking I might just organise my own. The only thing is my house is very small and as this is also an attempt to escape from my 3 children one night every couple of weeks so I'm wondering is it ok to arrange to meet in a coffee shop/cafe in the evening times? Would I need to ask them in advance or can a group(hopefully) of people just arrive, buy coffee or whatever and sit and chat about a book?!

Is there any other interest? It'd be the Clonsilla/Blanch/Ongar area.

If not i'll go on my own, escape the kids and read a book :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

As far as I know, various different groups meet up in the Starbucks near the library so they are open to having groups in. Also you might be able to book a meeting room in the library for it if you wanted instead, I don't think there is any charge for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭myNewName

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Right so I can't seem to find a bookclub in the area (I heard the Blanch Lib one is a bit highbrow, just not really what I'm looking for)so I'm thinking I might just organise my own. The only thing is my house is very small and as this is also an attempt to escape from my 3 children one night every couple of weeks so I'm wondering is it ok to arrange to meet in a coffee shop/cafe in the evening times? Would I need to ask them in advance or can a group(hopefully) of people just arrive, buy coffee or whatever and sit and chat about a book?!

Is there any other interest? It'd be the Clonsilla/Blanch/Ongar area.

If not i'll go on my own, escape the kids and read a book :D

Hey Saggycaggy, did you ever find/set up a book club? Would love to join one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

I would be interested in this too :)

myNewName wrote: »
    Hey Saggycaggy, did you ever find/set up a book club? Would love to join one

Hi there,

No i did no more-was worried no one would show up:p
    If there's a bit of interest here it'd be great to pursue it-is somewhere near or around Blanchardstown Shopping centre convenient?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Hi there,

If there's a bit of interest here it'd be great to pursue it-is somewhere near or around Blanchardstown Shopping centre convenient?

I said you find a decent number of people interested, as the Blanchardstown Library one is a tad High Brow and obscure.

Hi there,

Haha :)
    Anywhere around Blanchardstown would suit me, I'm sure there's a Starbucks with a few seats going to spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I'd love to be involved too

• Advertisement

Great stuff-so far we have
    Myself
    myNewname
    dmm82
    Pat Dunne I think?
    gabsdot40

That's a good start:D

I thought the Starbucks was open until 10pm in the Centre but I think it's only 9pm. Would a proposed meet up time of 7pm some day suit?
    I've never even been to a book club before so I'm unsure as to how the first one gets going etc. If we agree a once a month meeting and take turns suggesting a book to read?

Any other ideas? :) Thanks!

Great stuff-so far we have
    Myself
    myNewname
    dmm82
    Pat Dunne I think?
    gabsdot40

That's a good start:D

I thought the Starbucks was open until 10pm in the Centre but I think it's only 9pm. Would a proposed meet up time of 7pm some day suit?
    I've never even been to a book club before so I'm unsure as to how the first one gets going etc. If we agree a once a month meeting and take turns suggesting a book to read?

Any other ideas? :) Thanks!

Also never been to one so that sounds like a plan!!
    Starbucks is the only one I can think of too. One by the leisureplex?

Funny I was thinking of the one beside the cinema and the one over by Captain Americas and forgot about that one but yeah that's probably the best one:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I could potentially be interested too. Only, I probably couldn't commit to a book a month as I've my own massive to-read pile already. But if it was about sitting around with a coffee discussing books we've enjoyed and hearing recommendations, then I'd be up for that.

Funny I was thinking of the one beside the cinema and the one over by Captain Americas and forgot about that one but yeah that's probably the best one:)

Oh I had forgotten about that one!
    quickbeam wrote: »
    I could potentially be interested too. Only, I probably couldn't commit to a book a month as I've my own massive to-read pile already. But if it was about sitting around with a coffee discussing books we've enjoyed and hearing recommendations, then I'd be up for that.

That sounds ideal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Never done this before but sounds interesting.

Sign me up.

OK so how about we arrange a meet up and discuss what books we like etc and then agree on a book to read for the next meeting?

Disclosure :I've been useless at reading lately but hoping this will kick my ass into making me read more!

Does some evening next week suit people ? (I'll have to check with my husband incase he's in the office late but whatever day suits most people)

I’m easy on which day.

Also easy on whichever day.

Will we aim for Thursday?
    I'll do my best to be there for 7pm,that suit everyone?
    The Starbucks beside the Leisureplex?

• Advertisement

Yeah, fine with me. How do we know each other?

Tomorrow, right? Not next Thursday?

Thursdays are the only day I can't do :( but if it suits everyone else then stick with what suits the majority.

Sorry - I meant next Thursday as in Thursday 4th July.
    I can do Tuesday (2nd July) if that's better for everyone?
    I can't do Wednesday!

Tuesday good for me.

Tuesday is good for me too.

Great, let's go with Tuesday at 7pm. A meet up to discuss what books we're into etc and introduce ourselves :)
    What's our secret code to recognise each other? :P bring a book??

Still on for tonight?

Yeah I am. I'll message here if I'll be late (I'll be waiting until my husband gets in but hopefully he'll be home in time!)

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    Still on for tonight?

I'm so embarrassed I completely forgot. Does next Tuesday suit?

Advertisement