Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the waters and the wild

Options
  • 01-10-2017 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

A new log for a new training cycle... another spin on the merry-go-round, a clean slate with the usual expectations, goals and dreams providing focus for the (more important) journey, and hopefully better results from better training and racing.

Immediate goals over the winter are pool-related, I'm looking to PB in several gala's leading up to the LC Masters Champs next March, where the aim is to earn some bling. Our Masters group in Arklow has gotten bigger and faster this year, and will provide the necessary impetus to improve alongside peers and betters. My own backyard project is finally completed and operational, and offers a lot of scope for extra swimming and technique work without travelling too far. Learning and applying better technique will be crucial to getting faster in the pool.

As regards Tri, I have no major goals on the horizon, instead will work on bike and run with a view to generally competing better next year. I had most fun racing a couple of season's back, just entering and racing as many as I could without any specific target, and that will be the template. Bike will include the turbo sufferfests that bring so much bang-for-buck, and running will hopefully include a lot of "wild" hill runs that are life-affirming. I'm never happier training than when in the waves or the hills (hence the title), and happiness is important to drive you on.

Every other iteration of these logs I've mentioned that I need to lose weight, cut back on booze, and do more S&C work. This start is no different, except I'm putting my money where my mouth is for the past while- weight isn't too bad (89kg), I've been on the wagon for 3 weeks now (left a party early yesterday lest I be tempted!), and we have a secondhand multigym out the back.

All that remains is to get the training in and enjoy the process!

Sun 2 hours easy turbo
    I hadn't my rain gear sorted, and it was a wet misty morning. Rather than wake everyone, I got the spin done on the turbo instead, with 4*30s bursts toward the end, just to remind what work feels like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Mon 5.95k run in 30 mins; 30 mins S&C; Masters swim
    Run:
    20 mins easy
    10 mins progression to 8/10 perceived effort

A nice cold autumnal day, I got in this trail run along the middle flanks of Annagh hill. The first 20 mins were handy enough, then the pinch started as I upped the effort. The last two mins were uphill, into a wind, and I was gasping for air. Probably too hard, I should have dialled it back a bit when the breathing went.

S&C
    I bought a second hand multi gym and its now in the garden room. The plan is to make S&C a part of the daily routine, both to get faster in the pool, and to prevent injury/improve form.

Swim:
    400 easy
    20*50 free snorkel as (25k MAX, 25 free easy, 15s)
    10*75 free snorkel as (25 fist easy, 25 swim pace, 25k MAX, 15s)
    300 free pace (every 3rd length kick MAX)

You know when coaches say "kick from the hip"? I never knew what that was until tonight. First time ever I could feel where the power was coming from. The snorkel made a huge difference as breathing wasn't an issue, so all the kicks were good and strong. I pulled the imaginary string from core to outstretched hands and that made a difference too. This is what it means to have a good body position from a high butt and working legs.
    With regard to the kick- I think the Fastlane work has improved my legs in this regard. If I want to get any faster in the water I need to put a lot of work into my kick, so there will be more of this over the winter.

Tue AM 45min S&C, 15min easy jog; PM 15min S&C, 60min progression run

I tried a few new (to me) dynamic stretches this morning and they helped open up my hips and lower back. This can only be a good thing, and something I intend making a part of the daily routine. A gentle run afterwards demonstrated the benefits, I was a lot looser.

This evening's stretches were done on Courtown beach at full tide, facing the sea. Very Zen ;) straight onto the run, 20 mins easy (5:30/km pace). 20 mins moderate (5:05 pace), 20 mins steady (4:40 pace). Necessity brought me on a tour of the sodium-lit housing estates around Courtown. Ye god's, first time on an urban run in a while. It's only when I am forced into doing such things that I realize how blessed I am to live in my rural utopia. I think a headtorch will be required from here on, there is a gorgeous forest that I could use instead for these kids-at-swimming runs.

Wed 15min S&C; 60min turbo, 10 min S&C; 30min easy Fastlane
    Turbo:
    10 mins easy spinning
    10 mins as 4* 2.30 with initial 6 sec hard, seated)
    30 mins as 10 *(1 min PE 7-8, 2 min recovery)
    10 mins easy to finish

First time working hard on the turbo for a while, I probably did the min hard a bit too hard (av about 330W each), they felt harder as they went on. Still, its good to be sweating on the turbo again, a long winter of this ahead!

The stretching seems to make a difference to my day-to-day already, I feel better around the neck and back area in general.

Thurs 15min S&C, 30 min run, 10min S&C; Masters swim

Run:
    20 min easy
    10 min build to 8/10PE
    The first 20 mins were fine, then just building the effort gradually. I finished feeling strong, my form and breathing were under much more control than on Monday's similar run, with similar HR at the end.

Masters swim:
    400 warm up
    6*75 as (25k, 50drill, 15s)
    Main- based on 200free PB, obtain average 50m (my PB is 2:40, so base 50=40s)
    4*50 in (base+2s) off 1:30
    2mins rest
    4*50 in (base+1s) off 1:30
    2mins rest
    4*50 in (base) off 1:30
    2mins rest
    4*50 in (base-1s) off 1:30
    2mins rest
    warm down alternate lengths BE3,5,7

The 400 warm up was 6:11- I though I was building the WU, but looking at garmin numbers I see I started off faster. Go figure.

The 50's were all a bit faster than prescribed, I guess because my 200PB is weak. Fastest were coming in 35/36 without huge effort. All touch-turns, I'm unsure if I should just start to tumble and be done with it.

Fri 45 mins weights, 15 min easy run; 30min Fastlane

I'm only pushing light weights at the moment (benching 25-30kg), but that will increase as it goes on. Already there is a noticeable difference from the S&C work; poise when swimming and running is better.

• Advertisement

Sat 15k run: 45mins easy, 30 mins build to 7/8PE; 60mins S&C; 30mins easy Fastlane

Felt a little winded started off the run (was in a rush to meet someone) but soon got into chatting pace. We picked it up nicely on the way back, still chatting for all but the last km or so (4:10 pace at that stage) which pinched a little but a couple of gears left in the legs had they been needed.

Sun 2 hours turbo (158W)

Easy spinning for 20 mins, then alternating aero and sit-up position for 5, 10, 15, then 20mins. My aero position seemed more comfortable than usual.

So a decent first week back on the horse. The aim is to keep up this enthusiasm for training and S&C over the next few weeks, when it will hopefully be habit.

Mon 30mins S&C; 30 mins run; 2,750m Masters swim

Run: 20mins EZ, 10min build to 8/10PE
    Stretches before and after. The forest is at its best this time of year, I enjoyed the 20 min easy among the trees. The 10 min build started to pinch on the last two minutes, but nothing as bad as last week and I tried to "breathe from the stomach" throughout.

Swim:
    200 WU
    6*50 as (25k, 25swim, 10s)
    800free pace 1:35/100m
    60s
    500free pace 1:31/100m
    50s
    350free pace 1:28/100m
    40s
    200free pace 1:26/100m
    60s
    200 easy
    4*50 as (25k, 25swim, 10s)

I was in a fast lane tonight, main set was 800,600,400,200 but I had to cut a bit from the 600 and 400 just to stay on track. To be honest I wasn't feeling the love, my form was tired and although I started with tumbles this soon reverted to slow, sloppy, "grab-the-wall" touch turns. Something I'm really going to have to work on, perhaps I should have slowed my pace a little and maintained better form/turns.

Who am I kidding, there's no "perhaps" about it... ;)

Tue AM 45min S&C, 15min easy run; PM 15min S&C, 60min run

"Places your younger self never thought you'd end up"... Lidl carpark with flashing armbands and lycra, doing inchworm stretches in the dark. Still, these stretches did feed into moments of good form on the run, so well worth it.

20min easy
    20min mod, build to...
    20min 7/8PE
    There's a nice long sidewalk from Gorey to Courtown, that is well lit at night. I ran it out and back twice, building towards the meat of the session, 20 mins steady that would pinch a little. The first few minutes were noticeable for the effort required, an effort that didn't seem to tally with the HR or pace (160's and 4:45/km). However, I plugged away and determined to hold decent running form as the pace quickened. There were moments- short moments!- where the form was good, the running felt disembodied from any pain or stress inherent. This is the type of form that is the goal, and its refreshing to sense glimpses of it now. The S&C work is paying off.

Wed 15min S&C; 60 min turbo, 10 min S&C.

Turbo:
    10 min EZ
    10 min as 4*(150s, 6s sprint to start, remainder easy)
    10*(90s 270W, 90s easy)
    10 min EZ

The aim was to keep cadence above 80 throughout, of course I didn't have cadence displayed and the average turned out to be 72. In my defence I have the oval rings so they will lower the cadence somewhat- but I'm not sure if that will stand up to scrutiny ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I believe oval chain rings increase cadence ;) You'd be mashing without them :)

Thurs 15min S&C, 30min progression run; Masters swim

Run: 20min easy, 10min build to 8/10PE
    I did this on the cinder track in Arklow, right before swimming (needs must). The first 20 mins were very easy, and it was easy to up the pace as I circled the track, before finishing with a kick over the last 300 that would have left Coe and Ovett in the wake of a gold for little old Ireland. Well, it was dark, I can dream ;)

Swim: 2,750m
    10*75 as (25fly, 25back, 25free, 15s)
    Main (all 75% effort, tumble turn and streamline):
    2*400 (in 6:25), 1 min rest
    3*200 (in 3:15), 45s rest
    4*100 (in 1:30), 30s rest
    8*25 alt BE3,5,3,7,3,9,3,11

Kept the form good on these, pulling in the belly seemed to help streamline. Tumbles were ok but work is needed on th edolphin kick off wall.

Fri 45min S&C, 15min jog; 30min Fastlane

Multigym reps today, still using light enough weights but will start to slowly build them up from here. The jog was very easy, and the Fastlane just a stretch exercise in streamline, not much effort to it beyond holding up the stomach.

I'm using a Garmin 910 with HR strap- every run I do starts off 155+ even if I'm going easy, and after 6-8mins drops straight down to 130's (which would be correct for the effort involved). I'm a tecnophobe- anyone any ideas why it might do this? Different routes, very easy pace throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Have you tried washing it?? I have an older strap that used to go a bit wonky if I didn't.

And I got the fenix 3 working, was simple, just needed to plug it into Garmin connect. Had the GPS before I left the front garden in work.

joey100 wrote: »
    Have you tried washing it?? I have an older strap that used to go a bit wonky if I didn't.

And I got the fenix 3 working, was simple, just needed to plug it into Garmin connect. Had the GPS before I left the front garden in work.

I find that happens a bit with Garmins. When it needs a software update it doesn't pick up satellites as fast. Same for the straps. They need to be washed every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

salt from sweat is playing havoc with the contacts of the HR strap.....Garmin recommend to wipe/rinse them after each use and wash tehm with soap every 4/5 uses.

I normally wash mine in the shower after each use....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I do find that in colder weather my heart rate at the start of a run is higher than in the warmer weather. Makes sense - your body is trying to pump warm central blood around to your extremities.

Sat 1:15 run as 45min easy, 30 min build to 7/8PE

Thanks lads, some good suggestions there. I tried washing the strap connections, and set off on todays longish run. The first 45 mins were very easy, 6min/km pace, and it read HR at 158+ for the first 90s, then read nothing for the next 6:30, then 160 for a min, before dropping straight down to 130's. It read everything fine from there, in that the HR was where I'd expect it to be given the effort. The band wasn't moving around, the pace/cadence/elevation were steady for the first 45mins, it was warm out so I don't think my body was adjusting to cold... I think I'll try pairing the 910 with a polar HR strap I have and see if that makes a difference. If not, the 910 has served me well for 5 years and perhaps time for an upgrade :)

Otherwise, this run was grand (albeit a tight chest starting off, lingering from last Thursday's pool session. I think I might need to find another pool). I kept everything nice and easy for the first while, pacing is key and easy should mean easy. For the last 30mins I upped the effort gradually and the HR climbed steadily from 140's to 170 at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If you haven't been washing the strap, then it's probably fooked. Polar straps are much cheaper and much better; just cut off the rubber ring around the terminals.

Sun 2:00 easy turbo

I tried to keep the cadence over 80, but couldn't do so. Even in the highest gear my power went too high at 80rpm. In the end I averaged 76rpm, at a relatively high 181W. I might swap the PM off oval rings to see what difference.

Afternoon was spent doing turn judge in the NAC. I had a good chat there with the guy doing timekeeper, an ex-swimmer from the Gary O'Toole era. He's now doing IM racing, but most of our chat wasn't about wetsuit swimming. Core and legs, core and legs. If I want to get faster in the pool I need to work on core and legs. Its not so much the power that comes from legs in front crawl, but the aid to rotation, position, streamline. I've got a good stroke, the problem is it breaks down too soon for my liking. Thats a pacing issue all right, but one that is also fixed by working on core and legs.

• Advertisement

Mon 30 min S&C; 60 min Fastlane

The storm hit our area with a vengeance, thankfully no damage done but the pool was closed so no Masters session, and there are trees all round my running routes so it would have been a bit foolhardy to risk the 30 min run. Added to that our electricity was off for most of the day- we chopped wood, lit candle, and cooked off the stove, very romantic and I had my first glass of wine in 5 weeks to add to the occasion... and then the f@$%ing power came back on:mad::D

No hassle, I managed to get in 60 minutes in the Fastlane after dinner, various paces, holding the stomach high and taught. It seemed like a useful way to spend the hour.

Tue 45min S&C, 15min jog; 60 min run

Run: 20min easy, 20min build to 5/6PE, 20min build to 7/8PE

The kids weren't swimming tonight (no power in Courtown pool) so I managed to get out with some of the Tri lads for a run. I did 20min very easy myself first, them ran out along the Togher trail. Its a great time of year with the foliage, and doubly magical with the dusk light. We picked it up a bit on the way back until I was just past my conversational limit (didn't stop the other lad chatting though ;) ). Nice run

Wed 30min Fastlane; 15min S&C; 60 mins turbo, 10min S&C

I was awake very early and went straight down to the pool, a good 30 mins of freestyle focusing on working from the core. Dare I say it- there's a pattern becoming evident of what to do to hold good streamline, something I'll have to try out in the real pool tomorrow.

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    10min as 4*(2:30 with first 6s sprinting)
    10*3min as (2min build 240W-280W, 1min easy)
    10min EZ

I managed to get the cadence up over 80 for this one- just a matter of pushing less on the pedals I guess. The higher cadence meant I could control the power easier, and each of the reps built nice and steady to their goal.

Oh yeah I think I fixed the HR strap- licked it before putting on. Makes sense, I sweat after a few minutes so I guess it was reading when wetter!

Thurs 15min S&C, 30min run; Masters swim

The run was 20min easy, 10 min build to 8/10PE, done on a wild and windy cinder track in Arklow. Straight away afterwards I hit the pool- not an ideal arrangement, and I could feel the heavy legs when we did kick drills. The remainder of the hours was a variety of drills, mainly to do with high elbow and catch. One drill was an exaggerated catch just under the surface of the water, with the elbow way up above the head. I guess there's a method to this madness!

Fri 45min S&C, 30min easy run, 30min Fastlane easy

You're getting great use of the fastlane. Are the kids using it regularly?

They are using it (not as often as I'd like mind!), but the wifey is using it frequently so all is good in the world ;) A couple of months in and its been more useful and successful than I'd anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Are you keeping the water in it heated Kurt? Just curious about the up keep of it really, what's involved in keeping the water clean and do you have to replace the water at all?

Same water, a chlorine capsule slowly dissolves in its floating container. You check the water each week with a kit (my chorine was a little high last week). In general it uses much less chlorine than a public pool (at least, I don't smell of chlorine afterwards!).

Heating is done using an air source heat pump. I appears to be very efficient and the pool holds the water temperature well. I put on the heater Mon evening, didn't use it on Tue, took the cover off Wed morning and the water was still comfortably warm.

• Advertisement

Sat 1:15 run (45min EZ, 30min build to 7/8PE)

A very windy day down here in Wicklow, so much that I decided against driving the kids to swimming at dark'o'clock this morning. This meant I missed my morning run slot, instead went to tidy up the desk and ended up doing work most of the day. At 4pm I'd had enough, watched Junior doing a few drills in the Fastlane instead. He's got huge talent for sprints- 29sec flat for 50free last week, despite stalling on the blocks, coming up too early from his dive, an atrocious side hand entry, a wonk turn, and no kick... a lot to learn, but I can learn a lot from him too. He has a brilliant rotation, that must be 80% responsible for his swim.

Anyway, after that I got out for my run. I decided on my Hillbrook loop, despite the high winds on the high road. Setting out I had the wind behind me, but it got more fun as I began to climb and turn direction. Into a gale, a good exercise in holding running form. For the last half hour I picked things up, and was running well against the last of the evenings light. A solid effort up the final hill for home had me panting and glad to have this run in the bag.

Advertisement