Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crow Reboot Alive.....Again

Options
  • 11-08-2016 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

The Crow reboot has to be one of most longest serving projects currently in development hell which has been hindered by everything from directors and actors dropping out (say hello Bradley Cooper, Luke Evans and Jack Houston) to studios declaring bankruptcy.

But it's seemingly alive again, with an actor circling that is in no way cut from the same physical cloth as the previous actors attached:

http://www.slashfilm.com/jason-momoa-the-crow/

I remember O'Barr saying that this would be a much truer version of his story than the original film but truth be told it has to be. The 1994 film was very much of its time and in no way could be replicated. The Robocop remake comes to mind as an example.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Interesting choice of actor. Nothing listed on IMDB yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Another unnecessary remake to add to the pile of unnecessary remakes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

This is an awwwwful idea! The Robocop comparison is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    The Crow reboot has to be one of most longest serving projects currently in development hell which has been hindered by everything from directors and actors dropping out (say hello Bradley Cooper, Luke Evans and Jack Houston) to studios declaring bankruptcy.

But it's seemingly alive again, with an actor circling that is in no way cut from the same physical cloth as the previous actors attached:

http://www.slashfilm.com/jason-momoa-the-crow/

I remember O'Barr saying that this would be a much truer version of his story than the original film but truth be told it has to be. The 1994 film was very much of its time and in no way could be replicated. The Robocop remake comes to mind as an example.

Horrible casting. I've been delighted every time a reboot attempt has fallen appart because every attempt so far has proposed casting somebody as Draven that's a horrible choice, thus proving that whoever was behind it had zero clue about what they were doing.
    I'm also baffled by O'Barrs comments, the original movie couldn't have been more faithful to the original comic. The only way a reboot could be more faithful would be if it dropped the slightly entended final showdown with Top Dollar, perhaps he needs the Hollywood cash.
    Alex Proyas film has rightly attained cult status, it's entirely of it's time as it is entirely of that particular goth subculture that it sprang from. In that regard it's lightning in a bottle and any attempt to get it to strike twice would fail. There is no need of a reboot and no need of a sequel (which was unquestionably proved by the subsequent sequels).
    FFS Hollywood, have a lash at something original for a change and stop trying to wring a few more bucks out of an audience by f'ing the corpses of the classic properties you own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

When I was like 10 I saw the Crow: City of Angels and thought it was the cult classic original. Was a bit disappointed but I remember it looking cool as f*ck.

Looking at some images on google right now, it actually looks pretty interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Well the news just keeps getting worse and worse for the Crow.
    Sony FFS, the serial reboot botchers of Spiderman, Ghostbusters and Robocop.... no more needs to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Given a release date of Oct. 11, 2019.
    Sony’s “The Crow” will be released in theaters on Oct. 11, 2019, the studio announced Friday. A remake of the 1994 classic directed by Alex Proyas, the new “Crow” is expected to star Jason Momoa with Corin Hardy as director.

The reboot is aiming to be a more faithful adaption of James O’Barr’s original 1989 comic book of the same name and has been in development at Relativity Media with various directors and actors for nearly a decade. It’s been in limbo since the company went bankrupt and at one point, Jack Huston was attached for the lead role.

The original film grossed $50.7 million at the domestic box office, becoming a cult hit with Brandon Lee as a rock musician brought back from the dead to avenge the rape and murder of his girlfriend. Lee died during the production of the film, when he was shot with a defective blank days before the “The Crow” wrapped. Miramax released “The Crow” and the 1996 sequel “The Crow: City Of Angels.”

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/the-crow-release-date-2019-jason-momoa-1202715956/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Assuming this will be as successful as the Conan reboot...

‘The Crow’ Reboot With Bill Skarsgård & FKA Twigs Flies To Lionsgate In Eight-Figure Domestic Deal – Toronto

Lionsgate has just tied up an eight-figure deal for domestic rights to The Crow reboot, we can reveal.

Bill Skarsgård (It), singer-songwriter FKA twigs (Honeyboy) and Danny Huston (Succession) lead Rupert Sanders’ (Snow White and the Huntsman) reimagining of the 1994 cult classic that memorably starred Brandon Lee in his last film role.

In the original revenge thriller, a man who is brutally murdered comes back to life as an undead avenger of his and his fiancée’s deaths. Both movies are based on the graphic novel of the gothic character created, written and illustrated by James O’Barr.

CAA Media Finance handled the deal for the film’s domestic rights. John Biondo oversaw on behalf of Lionsgate, with the pact finalized late Wednesday night as the TIFF festival and market gets underway. The movie is expected to release next year.

The script for the reboot comes from Oscar nominee Zach Baylin (King Richard) and Will Schneider. Also starring are Laura Birn (Foundation), Sami Bouajila (A Son), and Jordan Bolger (The Woman King).

The Crow is produced by Victor Hadida (Resident Evil), Molly Hassell (Terminal), John Jencks (Honest Thief), the late Samuel Hadida (True Romance), and the late Edward R. Pressman (The Crow). Production companies are Davis Films, Hassell Free Productions, Electric Shadow Company, and Pressman Film, which is now led by Sam Pressman. Ashland Hill was among international financiers.

The $50M-budgeted film was shot on location in Prague and Munich. International sales are handled by FilmNation, which already has closed a raft of deals.

“We appreciate what the Crow character and original movie mean to legions of fans and believe this new film will offer audiences an authentic and visceral reinterpretation of its emotional power and mythology,” said Lionsgate’s EVP Acquisitions and Co-Productions, Charlotte Koh, who will oversee for the indie-major. “To work with a creative team led by Rupert’s unparalleled visual style and storytelling and with a producing team who have made some of the most popular and impactful films of the last several decades is a true privilege.”

Added the producers in a joint statement: “The original film left an indelible mark on our culture that lives on. We are thrilled to bring a new adaptation for today’s audiences that respects this legacy. Rupert has masterfully brought new dimensions to create a contemporary universe for this timeless saga of undying love, and we can’t wait to share this vision with film audiences.”.........

A release date of June 7th 2024 has been announced

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Due to Brandon Lee's untimely death on set in 1994 the movie had to scrap a fairly important character "Skull Cowboy" because dialogue scenes hadn't between Draven and Cowboy had not been filmed and they couldn't substitute it in a meaningful way with the technology at the time. The shots of Skull Cowboy that had been filmed can be found on YouTube, grainy and unfinished. His inclusion would have definitely put a different slant on the movie as he is a demon from the afterlife that gave Draven his powers and takes them from him when his mission is complete - if this movie is meant to be more faithful to the comic then I wonder if he's being included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Original was great on release accompanied by a decent soundtrack. Aged/dated badly, so I don’t mind them butchering it. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I believe I read a reliable plot leak there a few months ago and from what I can recall, they are going with a hyper realistic and not as powerful version of the character. Unfortunately this image would be in line with that.

I have to say whoever conceived Draven as a modern day social media junkie rapper really earned their paycheck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Must actually watch the original sometime; came out at the wrong time in my life to be interested, yet looking back it appears so achingly alt-1990s I wonder if I'd derive any enjoyment out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Didn't realise it Sanders was directing. I guess the film will at least look incredible, if nothing else.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Both the film and the original comic are worth reading if you approach them with the right mindset - while it is in some ways achingly 90s (in a none-more-grunge/goth sort of way) but nonetheless it is a stylish affair, and interesting in a similar way to the first Blade fion for what a non-camp comic adaptation looked like when the most recent superhero hit was Batman '89.

If you do opt for both, I would watch the film first and then read the comic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I watched the original again recently. I thought it didn't age too badly at all. Enjoyed it far more than some more recent movies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Damnit, there it goes, into my letterboxd watchlist. It doesn't gett smaller 🤭

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The original is getting a 4k blu ray release in a few months. It was my favourite film as a teenager so I will definitely be picking it up. I do remember the FX didn't look great in some bits when I made the leap from my worn out VHS copy to DVD so the 4K might ruin it altogether 😂

Due a re-watch as I haven't seen it in well over a decade I would say, have probably grown out of it a bit I'm sure at this stage and the last time I watched it it had already aged a good bit but it's an undeniably stylish film with a great central performance from Lee.

Don't know what to make of the new one, pretty indifferent to it. At least it's not a Jason Mamoa vehicle anymore (no issues with him but just couldn't see him in the role). I've liked Bill Skarsgard in everything I've seen him in so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They think they can do better than the Edward Furlong/David Boreanaz sequel? No way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Are any of the sequels actually any good? I loved the original Crow movie as a youngster. And appreciated the soundtrack more as I got older.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched them all. I remember liking one but don't know which one. But I tend to be easily pleased at times and not exactly one of the people who would be calling any tarnishing of the original's legacy "sacrilege". 😃 So don't take my word for it.

Never watched the tv series so don't know what that was like.

First trailer arrived for the remake:

A stench of Jared Leto's Joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

The one movie I really weally ideally wanted them to stay away from..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ooof, that does not look very good. I admire the idea of trying to actually give more focus to the relationship between Eric & Shelly before everything goes wrong (whether the film's chronology is linear or not), because that is one respect where the '94 film is somewhat weak (though it is an understandable choice when attempting to cut down the amount of material in the comic to something that can work as a film).

But the action looks pretty poor (some of the CGI looks rubbish but that's par for the course at this stage) and, at least based on what they've shown, overly focused on Eric being willing to soak up damage. Whereas this was previously used quite cleverly and sparingly for effect, here the most interesting thing was the dialogue exchange "I killed you"/"Yeah. You did." without actual violence happening, because it at least suggests that Eric's soon-to-be victim has realised that there's Something Spooky Going On and is unnerved by it.

I was always more "somewhat curious" about this than "actually keen to watch it" but this trailer has bumped that curiosity down at least a notch or two, and it'll take at least one trusted review for me to consider watching this (particularly at the cinema).

Advertisement