Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye Test for Internet Purchase

Options
  • 08-04-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking for the name of a Dublin-based optician who will happily perform an eye test, at a reasonable price, in the full knowledge that I'm going to purchase my glasses online. Some of the larger retailers seem to actively discourage their employees from providing such a service, i.e. withholding the PD.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

To answer my own query...

I went to Stein opticians on Camden Row. The optician was very pleasant, professional, and helpful. Prior to the start of the examination I explained to her my intention to purchase a pair of glasses, for running use, on the internet. She thanked me for my honesty. In total it cost €35 and lasted approximately 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

she used to be my optician for years - she's top-notch

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AmyRight

I am thinking to buy glasses in the same way...but I am kind of confused because all the complaints concerning online eye care products purchases. http://www.pissedconsumer.com/browse-reviews/medical-equipment.html
    Hello,

I'm looking for the name of a Dublin-based optician who will happily perform an eye test, at a reasonable price, in the full knowledge that I'm going to purchase my glasses online. Some of the larger retailers seem to actively discourage their employees from providing such a service, i.e. withholding the PD.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭metaxaaa

AmyRight wrote: »
    I am thinking to buy glasses in the same way...but I am kind of confused because all the complaints concerning online eye care products purchases. http://www.pissedconsumer.com/browse-reviews/medical-equipment.html

National optometry centre in dublin city centre is free eye test

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

If you are referring to the one next to DIT Kevin St, as I think you are, then that free test is performed by students under supervision and lasts longer than a normal test. If you want a qualified professional from the lab there is a 2-3 week waiting list and costs €45.

I ordered a pair of sports glasses from zenni optical for $49 and am now awaiting delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Interesting. I want to buy sunglasses online, I just lost my last pair in the past few weeks & I don't feel like spending so much again. Found a designer pair i like for 100 euros less online than in a franchise here but my prescription doesn't give the PD. I didn't realise it was deliberately withheld. Can they really do that? I have paid for the test so why are they allowed to withhold part of the prescription?
    I google pd just to find out what it is and I came across steps to measure pd.
    Is it something that could be accurately done at home do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Mary28 wrote: »
    Interesting. I want to buy sunglasses online, I just lost my last pair in the past few weeks & I don't feel like spending so much again. Found a designer pair i like for 100 euros less online than in a franchise here but my prescription doesn't give the PD. I didn't realise it was deliberately withheld. Can they really do that? I have paid for the test so why are they allowed to withhold part of the prescription?
    I google pd just to find out what it is and I came across steps to measure pd.
    Is it something that could be accurately done at home do you think?

It's not part of your prescription and it wasn't withheld.

Hi risetome. Can you explain that a bit more?
    I didn't know what it even was to be honest but it's mentioned in the online prescription entry form but its not on the prescription they gave me when i got my eyes tested.
    Is it something I can just ask for then? Why wasn't it included on the prescription they gave me?

Mary28 wrote: »
    Hi risetome. Can you explain that a bit more?
    I didn't know what it even was to be honest but it's mentioned in the online prescription entry form but its not on the prescription they gave me when i got my eyes tested.
    Is it something I can just ask for then? Why wasn't it included on the prescription they gave me?

Pupil distance is a measurement recorded by a dispensing optician when you are being fitted with new glasses after an eyetest. If you didn't buy new glasses or get new lenses into your own frame it is not a measurement that needs to be recorded or provided as part of a written prescription.

You paid for and recieved an eye exam, the particulars of which you were given.

Ah ok. That must be why they give steps for it online then. Sorry that wasn't clear and someone above said it was withheld.
    I wouldn't buy normal glasses online but I think I'll risk sunglasses as I don't wear them so much thanks to our lovely climate.
    Thanks for the replies and for explaining that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Under Irish Optician law. The Optician is only required to give the left and right sphere, cyl, axis and add (if applicable). You have to ask for a PD and then it's down to the individual Optician if you get it or not.

Anyway the PD is easy to measure. Place a mm ruler on your nose get a close up photo taken. Don't stare at the camera when the photo is been taken, look at a point beyond the camera to prevent convergence of your pupils. Read your PD off the picture simples eh. It's usually about 60 - 64 for normal size head

Thanks endplate I'll try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

endplate wrote: »
    Under Irish Optician law. The Optician is only required to give the left and right sphere, cyl, axis and add (if applicable). You have to ask for a PD and then it's down to the individual Optician if you get it or not.

Under Section 4 of the Data Protection Acts, 1988 and 2003, you have a right to obtain a copy, clearly explained, of any information relating to you kept on computer or in a structured manual filing system or intended for such a system by any entity or organisation. All you need to do is write to the organisation or entity concerned and ask for it under the Data Protection Acts.

Squiggle wrote: »
    Under Section 4 of the Data Protection Acts, 1988 and 2003, you have a right to obtain a copy, clearly explained, of any information relating to you kept on computer or in a structured manual filing system or intended for such a system by any entity or organisation. All you need to do is write to the organisation or entity concerned and ask for it under the Data Protection Acts.

Under which the organisation can charge a fee for providing your medical records which is why opticians can and do legally charge a professional fee for measuring and providing your pupil distance.

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Under which the organisation can charge a fee for providing your medical records which is why opticians can and do legally charge a professional fee for measuring and providing your pupil distance.

Further to that is if the pd measurement is recorded as part of the eye exam, as it does form part of the details necessary to provide a prescription it is normally recorded at the time of dispense which is the point at which the patient has purchased glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

RiseToMe wrote: »

The maximum fee that can be charged if a request is made for personal records under the Data protection Act is €6.35 and the information must be provided within 40 days.

Squiggle wrote: »
    The maximum fee that can be charged if a request is made for personal records under the Data protection Act is €6.35 and the information must be provided within 40 days.

A fee none the less.

Whereas by paying the professional fee to have your Pd taken, usually 10 euro, you have it there and then. Especially considering that your sight tests records may not have your Pd noted as it does not form part of the eye exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LucyCoffee

Thank you for your contribution.

Advertisement