Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student accomodation

Options
  • 30-08-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi all new to this site so please bare with me.Just wondering does anyone have any experience staying at, or know anyone who may have stayed at Gate Lodge opposite A.I.T. Athlone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TimeClock18

A friend of mine lived there last year, Very cold, damp, drafty!

I didn't really like it and she moved out before Christmas.

Only 2 rooms which meant if you got a "Bad" house mate you'd be stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 looneytoones

cheers timeclock:)18.Looks like plenty of extra blankets and hoodies 4 winter. Hears hoping its not like jan 2010, or i,ll be heading back to parents nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 justaguy1

I signed accommodation contract with Cloudview management in September and gave them the whole first semester rent upfront as required. Also I paid them the deposit for the whole year (semester 1 + 2) . Afterwards, when Lock-down started and when AIT told everyone to do remote classes, I didn't go to Athlone. I just stayed at home and did my classes remotely. In total I was in the room for 6 nights. For the second semester, I told them that I won't need their room so I went to Athlone and gave them the key to the room. I paid them around 3000 euro for the first semester + deposit for the two semesters. Upon delivering the keys I asked for a reimbursement of my rent (since I was there only 6 nights during the first semester), and my deposit for the second semester since I was not going to be there during the second semester. They replied that they won't give me back any money, even my deposit for the second semester because in their contract there is a clause saying that if you leave the room during the contract, you won't get any money back. Apparently they don't understand that we have a pandemic and these are special circumstances. No you can judge for yourselves if you want to rent a room from these people. In my view, this is theft, taking advantage, and unfair treatment of a poor student.They should have given at least part of my money back but they didn't. They are expecting that I should stay in the room in Athlone, even when there are remote classes and I can't go further than 5 kilometers, and I live in a different town. So watch out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TomGould

They don't seem to realize that we are dealing with a pandemic and unique conditions. If you wish to rent a room from these folks, you may decide for yourself. This, in my opinion, is theft, exploitation, and unfair treatment of a low-income student.

Advertisement