Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-06-2012, 20:30   #1
BTH

www.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com

Just received this text from *****. A google search doesn't throw up anything so I'm going to presume its a little dodgy unless someone can advise otherwise. Website name looks a little off anyway

Quote:
Congratulations! You are Ireland's WINNER OF THE DAY! Go to http://www-MODEDIT-.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com to claim your prize. Must claim within 24 hrs.

Last edited by vinnycoyne; 22-06-2012 at 13:07. Reason: Removed number and edited link
Advertisement
21-06-2012, 20:40   #2
cookie1977

It's dodgy. Ignore and delete it
21-06-2012, 20:42   #3
frozenfrozen

so legit just printed out my ipad 7 thnx OP
(2) thanks from:
21-06-2012, 22:19   #4
jeano8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanHoyte View Post
Just received this text from ***. A google search doesn't throw up anything so I'm going to presume its a little dodgy unless someone can advise otherwise. Website name looks a little off anyway

Quote:
Congratulations! You are Ireland's WINNER OF THE DAY! Go to http://www.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com to claim your prize. Must claim within 24 hrs.
Me too wth?? How do they get our numbers? Probably a virus

Last edited by vinnycoyne; 03-07-2012 at 09:27. Reason: Removed number
22-06-2012, 12:40   #5
libertyfly

I received the exact same at 09.21 this morning. Joining the dots: yesterday I was looking for an insurance quote for my car and I filled in a form online with Liberty Insurance [I didn't go with them] and when I googled up the link for the winner of the day I ended up here, and as it happened the first pop up ad was from Liberty Insurance; that part is probably coincidence. Insurance/assurance companies generally have a poor reputation in my book. They probably flog potential [+ real] customers information to anyone who will buy it. Also, about a week ago, If I recall correctly, I entered for some i Pad competition [I'm pretty sure it was legit]. Bottom line: we've been spammed!
Advertisement
22-06-2012, 12:47   #6
BTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyfly View Post
I received the exact same at 09.21 this morning. Joining the dots: yesterday I was looking for an insurance quote for my car and I filled in a form online with Liberty Insurance [I didn't go with them] and when I googled up the link for the winner of the day I ended up here, and as it happened the first pop up ad was from Liberty Insurance; that part is probably coincidence. Insurance/assurance companies generally have a poor reputation in my book. They probably flog potential [+ real] customers information to anyone who will buy it. Also, about a week ago, If I recall correctly, I entered for some i Pad competition [I'm pretty sure it was legit]. Bottom line: we've been spammed!
I haven't been looking for insurance in months and wouldn't have gone near Liberty/Quinn in years.

Needless to say I didn't follow the link anyway, figured it was fairly dodgy alright.
22-06-2012, 12:48   #7
KatyMac

Me just received one of these texts coupda minutes ago. I've done no web browsing, and certainly don't fill in on line forms so don't know how they got my number. Awful nuisance (and cheek). Are we going to have to buy antivirus for our basic phones now? Aaaaagh!
22-06-2012, 12:49   #8
frozenfrozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyfly View Post
If I recall correctly, I entered for some i Pad competition [I'm pretty sure it was legit].
iPad competition as in "YOU'VE WON AN IPAD!!!!!!!!! ENTER YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER BELOW ALONG WITH YOUR PHONE NUMBER TO RECEIVE YOUR PRIZE AND 8 MILLION DOLLARS"
22-06-2012, 12:55   #9
Hobbes

Mod: Korean
What happens is they ask for your mobile phone number to confirm you won, then rip off all your credit from SMS spam. Niece got caught out on it.

[edit] Checked the link. It is spam. You should probably do a STOP ALL reply and check your credit before/after.
Advertisement
22-06-2012, 12:56   #10
BTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
What happens is they ask for your mobile phone number to confirm you won, then rip off all your credit from SMS spam. Niece got caught out on it.

[edit] Checked the link. It is spam. You should probably do a STOP ALL reply and check your credit before/after.
BUt they have my mobile number, they sent me a damn text...
22-06-2012, 14:02   #11
kindalen

Just got this text, where do they get our numbers?
22-06-2012, 14:41   #12
ariidae

I got it also. I USED to be with Quinn insurance but that was several years ago (same phone number then).

It could be a random number generator ..
22-06-2012, 14:49   #13
pfurey101

Send a message via Yahoo to pfurey101 Send a message via Skype™ to pfurey101
My text arrived at 14:03 - McAfee site blocker gave a me a "Whoa Dont go there" warning as the URL was forwarded to another dodgy site.

Ba5tards are everywhere!

Stay clear - horrible muckers!

Make sure your kids with mobiles are alerted!

Its the first time I have got a text so blatantly nasty.
22-06-2012, 15:24   #14
Dades
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanHoyte View Post
BUt they have my mobile number, they sent me a damn text...
Doesn't seem to matter - the system is flawed.

I got a bunch of unsolicited texts from some spammer which I ignored until I found out they were costing me €2 each to receive. I had to text STOP to get rid of them and of course it wasn't Vodafone's problem.

I don't want the money back I want 5 minutes alone in a room with the f*cker who runs that text spam operation.
22-06-2012, 15:26   #15
squidget72

Has to be spam

Just got it now. Phone number +1 **** is sender. I think that's a US number. State Code 631 is New York State.

Last edited by vinnycoyne; 03-07-2012 at 09:27.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion