Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-01-2012, 17:11   #1
chieftan65

Septic tank charges

Just a reminder to all my fellow country dwellers to register your septic thanks for inspection. I personally will register mine when Phil Hogan agrees to come and inspect it personally. I will let him get down in the tank so he can fully appreciate what the majority of people in this country find themselves up to the neck in to ensure that Phil and his fellow elite can receive a tap on the back and be called good little europeans. It didn't work with the OAP's phil and you wont bully the rural dwellers either
Advertisement
25-01-2012, 17:23   #2
the drifter
Closed Account

erm....how does one register? if one was going to that is?
25-01-2012, 18:27   #3
focusowner

i think i may have had an ingenious idea relating to the charge for the septic tank

we have a bit of land at the house so this would only work if you had some land but regardless

the charge applies to septic tanks only ....

so throw a set of cattle slats over it and 3 walls back and sides only and hey presto slatted cattle shed no need to register

so if someone comes out and says where is you're effluent going just say you use the shed job done
Thanks from:
25-01-2012, 18:35   #4
Rockery Woman
Closed Account

Would these "Inspectors" be classified as trespassers if they came to inspect your tank on your land uninvited?

Oh yes I must register.............not!!!

Us rural dwellers being screwed again!
Thanks from:
25-01-2012, 18:59   #5
ardmacha

The usual bleating. It is no more unreasonable to have a septic tank inspection charge than a charge for a NCT inspection or a driving test.
Advertisement
25-01-2012, 19:23   #6
sh1tstirrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockery Woman View Post
Would these "Inspectors" be classified as trespassers if they came to inspect your tank on your land uninvited?

Oh yes I must register.............not!!!

Us rural dwellers being screwed again!
No they wouldn't, they have the authority to come onto your property. I had a farmyard inspection from the council back in 2004 he walked in parked his car outside my house and poked his way around my yard only showing me his id when I confronted him. If they tripped over themselves while on your property it wouldn't surprise me if they could claim off you
Thanks from:
25-01-2012, 19:57   #7
bbsrs

I built a new house 5 years ago in accordance with the planning permission given to me . The co. council asked that an approved person that was on some list they had , had to pickout the bio cycle treatment system I was to use and design the percolation area before they would grant planning he also had to oversee the installation of the unit and the construction of the percolation area .Upon completion he then had to write a report stating that all was as it should be. My planning also required i sign up for a 5 year maintenance agreement with the supplier of the system.
So the Co. Council know what system I have installed , what regulations it was designed to and when it was installed .They also know i have a maintenance agreement that runs out this summer.

My question is will they want to inspect my sewage treatment set up eventhough they know all there is to know about it and it was built and installed by a person approved by them?
Thanks from:
25-01-2012, 20:00   #8
bbsrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardmacha View Post
The usual bleating. It is no more unreasonable to have a septic tank inspection charge than a charge for a NCT inspection or a driving test.
In your opinion.
25-01-2012, 20:20   #9
chieftan65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardmacha View Post
Ah good man.. very patriotic... here any chance you can pay mine too? and me NCT and me household charge and me car tax and me PRSI and me PAYE and me income levy. and sure maybe if you have enough left over you could pay for my petrol and heating oil and electricity and food too. dont worry about the kids cause if you pay all that i'll have a few quid to look after them.. cheers friend
Advertisement
25-01-2012, 20:39   #10
irishh_bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsrs View Post
In your opinion.
mine too and im a rural dweller with my own septic tank , i dont buy into this rural - urban divide gombeen bull**** , spouted by the likes of populists like mattie mc grath

the bottom line is the country is broke and needs money , they could come up with a sharpen your pencil tax and it would all mean the same thing , the goverment feels the need to come up with an endless number of small spread out taxes because they havent the guts to simply cut wages , wellfare etc , it all goes into the same pot as local goverment is a sham in this country
(2) thanks from:
25-01-2012, 21:05   #11
ardmacha

Quote:
My question is will they want to inspect my sewage treatment set up eventhough they know all there is to know about it and it was built and installed by a person approved by them?
Like the NCT they should start with the older setups.

Quote:
dont worry about the kids cause if you pay all that i'll have a few quid to look after them.

Your children's allowance and funding for yours kids education is coming from the likes of me. Which is fine, everyone has to pay their share.
25-01-2012, 21:06   #12
murphaph

Quote:
I built a new house 5 years ago in accordance with the planning permission given to me . The co. council asked that an approved person that was on some list they had , had to pickout the bio cycle treatment system I was to use and design the percolation area before they would grant planning he also had to oversee the installation of the unit and the construction of the percolation area .Upon completion he then had to write a report stating that all was as it should be. My planning also required i sign up for a 5 year maintenance agreement with the supplier of the system.
So the Co. Council know what system I have installed , what regulations it was designed to and when it was installed .They also know i have a maintenance agreement that runs out this summer.

You admit yourself that your maintenance contract runs out this year, so of course the system should be inspected. Septic tanks don't maintain themselves any more than cars and can do tremendous damage to the environment if they fail in service. Somebody has to ensure that they are not polluting the groundwater as if Cavan CoCo figures are anything to go by, about one quarter of septic tank owners have tanks with issues.

The NCT analogy is spot on. For years we dodged implementing that EU directive as well.

I think new septic tanks installed by certified installers should perhaps be exempt from inspection for the first few years, just like a new car is exempt from the NCT.
Thanks from:
25-01-2012, 21:21   #13
Welease

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphaph View Post
You admit yourself that your maintenance contract runs out this year, so of course the system should be inspected. Septic tanks don't maintain themselves any more than cars and can do tremendous damage to the environment if they fail in service. Somebody has to ensure that they are not polluting the groundwater as if Cavan CoCo figures are anything to go by, about one quarter of septic tank owners have tanks with issues.

The NCT analogy is spot on. For years we dodged implementing that EU directive as well.

I think new septic tanks installed by certified installers should perhaps be exempt from inspection for the first few years, just like a new car is exempt from the NCT.
If its an environmental issue then why do not all mains sewerage systems also not require certification? The same amount of effluent will travel down those pipes, and they are equally prone to degration, settlement, movement etc..

For clarity I should add.. I don't believe this is anything to do with the environment.. A council guy will come and stick his head in the tank and do sod all else.. This is a revenue generating scheme for the council nothing else.. I don't have any objections to paying extra tax, but this will be eaten up in inefficiencies and waste.. and will achieve little.

Last edited by Welease; 25-01-2012 at 21:30.
(3) thanks from:
25-01-2012, 21:43   #14
Cedrus

Quote:

I'd consider that report as "inspection complete" and any authority who demands a repeat inspection of this is just wasting money. In fairness if it could even be thought possible that this approved system would fail after so little time then they didn't do their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphaph View Post
I agree, and it should be tiered from the oldest systems with no planning conditions inspected first, through those which were installed with with minimal conditions, then those that were nominally reviewed/signed off at construction stage. The last to be inspected (if ever) should be the gold standard like bbsrs's one.
25-01-2012, 21:48   #15
murphaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welease View Post
If its an environmental issue then why do not all mains sewerage systems also not require certification? The same amount of effluent will travel down those pipes, and they are equally prone to degration, settlement, movement etc..

For clarity I should add.. I don't believe this is anything to do with the environment.. A council guy will come and stick his head in the tank and do sod all else.. This is a revenue generating scheme for the council nothing else.. I don't have any objections to paying extra tax, but this will be eaten up in inefficiencies and waste.. and will achieve little.
It's an EU directive we've (with the exception of Cavan CC) been ignoring for 20 years. We are facing fines for not implementing it.

The NCT is not a revenue raising exercise. They actually check things are in order with stadardised testing (better than the UK MoT). It was implemented at a time when no extra revenue was needed. It was implemented under pressure from the EU who had passed the directive years before. This is no different except that we are broke at the same time.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion