Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-03-2009, 01:42   #1
Stargal

Send a message via MSN to Stargal
RTÉ apologises to Cowen

Last night, RTÉ ran a brief, accurate report about the two unflattering paintings of Brian Cowen that appeared recently in two different art galleries in Dublin.

Tonight, at the end of the 9 o'clock news, Eileen Dunne read out an apology to Brian Cowen and his family for "any personal offence caused...and for any disrespect shown to the office of the Taoiseach by our broadcast".

Here's the original report and here's the apology.

I thought that Pat Kenny asking that breakdancing kid if he was going to black up was my 'seriously RTÉ, wtf' moment of the week. Right now, my disbelief is matched only by my anger. The paintings, however tasteless, were newsworthy, and had been covered in a number of newspapers before being picked up by RTÉ.

Apologising after receiving complaints over the tastefulness of the item was cowardly and pathetic. It suggests that there are limits to what the national broadcaster can say about the Taoiseach and other political figures. Are there? Where is the line going to be drawn?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-03-2009, 01:50   #2
hellboy99

Unreal, wasn't as if it was a bad likeness either

Just goes to show how much pull and power this current idiot / crook of Taoiseach we have.
25-03-2009, 01:53   #3

Also goes to show how conscious he is of the bad public opinion of him. Doesn't want anything except his own actions making a joke out of him
Thanks from:
25-03-2009, 01:59   #4
hellboy99

Police state next so it will be seeing as he's now in charge of our TV viewing, wish to god the man would just step down as Taoiseach and leave politics for good.

The boards here will be his next target
25-03-2009, 09:53   #5
blackiebest

With all going on in this country Cowen sees fit to pursue this artist and draw ore attention to it. What a fool, watch this one really bite back, maybe if he jails the banking crooks and stops the everyday shootings, protects what jobs still exist etc before going after this artist,

Wow how stupid?
Advertisement
25-03-2009, 09:58   #6
jayteecork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy99 View Post

Just goes to show how much pull and power this current idiot / crook of Taoiseach we have.
Watch your back, mate.

You might just end up disappearing.
25-03-2009, 10:36   #7
snubbleste
Banned

Being covered now on Pat Kenny

Some FF representative making the undercurrent that RTÉ is financed by a licence fee and should'nt make fun of the taoiseach, Pat made the point that the pictures were in the Sunday Tribune and that the govt was not looking for an apology from them.

I despair!
25-03-2009, 10:37   #8
r3nu4l

Send a message via MSN to r3nu4l
I totally agree with the assessment made by Stargal. This action was cowardly to say the least. RTÉ should not apologise for broadcasting a news item that has been extensively reported elsewhere.

This is approaching the way in which China operates their media. Had Cowen's office known in advance of this report, we can be sure it would never have been broadcast. This is sad, pathetic and laughable all at once.

By apologising RTÉ are towing the line! Has Cowen demanded an apology from the BBC for reporting the story? Would the BBC make such an apology? We can only wait and see.

I really hope other Irish media have more balls that this and start actively reporting, publishing the pictures and asking hard questions of both Cowen and the RTÉ response. Spineless on both sides!
25-03-2009, 10:38   #9
Bambi

RTE= State broadcaster, they know full well what side their bread is buttered on.
Advertisement
25-03-2009, 11:02   #10

I've just sent off a missive to Pat Kenny, he might read it out.
25-03-2009, 11:55   #11
jdivision

Embarrassing decision by RTE. No balls.
25-03-2009, 12:40   #12

Sniveling piece in the Herald rag

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/columni...h-1685399.html
25-03-2009, 12:48   #13
Bambi

Expect no less from a mouthpiece like o'carroll
25-03-2009, 12:50   #14

To be fair-it wasn't a piece for the main news in the way it was covered.
It was a piece for a magazine programme or for the opening of tubridy or for podge and rodge...

They werent wrong to cover it but were wrong to treat it in the way they did.
Their job is to Report the making fun of the Taoiseach and not make fun of him themselves.

Thats the way the piece was done and was most certainly not in my opinion what you'd find on the BBC news at ten or ITV were Gordon Brown the focus of this for example.

The news [as opposed to a discussion programme] on any broadcaster is not meant to be an opinion piece or mouthpiece for any one opinion or parody.
It's meant to be the factual reporting of the days events.
25-03-2009, 12:58   #15

One of the reasons that a license fee exists is supposedly so that state broadcasting can continue on a long-term basis without being at the whim of the governing party. If RTÉ feel the need to back down so easily perhaps a return to a less secure form of funding might be appropriate...

Last edited by leeroybrown; 25-03-2009 at 13:04. Reason: Fixed Typo

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion