Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-06-2005, 18:45   #1
Tha Gopher
Registered User
 
Tha Gopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,695
The Asylum/Oldskool thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=267250

Its posts like Bohboys which make me curse my mother for having me in 1986 rather than 1976

Just wondering, but was this place really truly the heaven on earth that Bohboy tells us younguns of? If New York had Studio 51 and Manchester had the Hacienda, was The Asylum Dublins legendary spot? I may have only been a kid at the time, but I still remember my cousin (now in his late 20s) having flyers from the place on his bedroom wall, even vaguely recall him going on about how great it was
So anyway
What year did it open?
What year did it close?
Why was it closed/ever allowed to open? (I assume it was because the government didnt realise what was going on there re drugs until it was too late, I assume they enacted some kind of legislation since?)
Was it an actual nightclub, or just a big shed full of people on yokes
How come there is nowhere like it to be found today unless you go to an abandoned warehouse rave?

And how come they dont hold weekly raves in The Point? Drugs pressure from the cops? Dont particularly understand that thinking- Godskitchen et al there is nobody who isnt on pills, but it still gets a licence. Isnt this as if the government is saying "alright, you can have some event where the whole crowd is off their tits once every 5 months, but no more"

God to have been born in 1976. My youth would have consisted of this madhouse, and I would have been old enough to appreciate the advent of G-Funk rap at this time I feel I missed so much
Tha Gopher is offline  
Advertisement
15-06-2005, 20:17   #2
jonny68
Registered User
 
jonny68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Gopher
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=267250

Its posts like Bohboys which make me curse my mother for having me in 1986 rather than 1976

Just wondering, but was this place really truly the heaven on earth that Bohboy tells us younguns of? If New York had Studio 51 and Manchester had the Hacienda, was The Asylum Dublins legendary spot? I may have only been a kid at the time, but I still remember my cousin (now in his late 20s) having flyers from the place on his bedroom wall, even vaguely recall him going on about how great it was
So anyway
What year did it open?
What year did it close?
Why was it closed/ever allowed to open? (I assume it was because the government didnt realise what was going on there re drugs until it was too late, I assume they enacted some kind of legislation since?)
Was it an actual nightclub, or just a big shed full of people on yokes
How come there is nowhere like it to be found today unless you go to an abandoned warehouse rave?

And how come they dont hold weekly raves in The Point? Drugs pressure from the cops? Dont particularly understand that thinking- Godskitchen et al there is nobody who isnt on pills, but it still gets a licence. Isnt this as if the government is saying "alright, you can have some event where the whole crowd is off their tits once every 5 months, but no more"

God to have been born in 1976. My youth would have consisted of this madhouse, and I would have been old enough to appreciate the advent of G-Funk rap at this time I feel I missed so much

I went to Sides more than the Asylum but used to occasionaly go there,If the truth be known Sides DC was Ireland's first and greatest ever dance club.

Anyway about the Asylum..it opened AFAIK around late 1991,i first went in 1992,it closed around 1996 (i stand corrected on that)it was closed basically over Drugs and rival gangs from Finglas and Ballyfermot fighting over who's "patch" The Asylum was..yeah basically back in the old days the Goverment and Garda were a bit slow and didnt realise for a number of years just what really happened in these clubs,even though in most Rave clubs there was hardlyt ever any fighting compared to your normal crappy disco's where you'd always be guaranteed a fight they had to take a stance..w ankers.

It wasnt a nightclub as such it was just a number or large rooms with a dj box,lighting and throngs of people packed together mad out of it on yokes,ahh im getting goosebumps even thinking about it

How come there is nowhere like it to be found today unless you go to an abandoned warehouse rave you asked?

Because the dance music scene today is commercialised rubbish unlike the old days where everything was carefree,peace love and unity was the order of the day back then,you could go up to a complete stranger and shake hands with them or hug them and it woukld be all smiles all around and you would make so many friends (even though you might never see them again that wasnt the point ) nowadays if you tried anything like that in a normal dance club you';d probably be likely to get a box off some coked up prick or someone push you away or stare at you like you'd 10 heads,illegal raves in wwarehouses,etc,etc are the closest you will get to the old times but still it will never be the same,im not on the scene any more but if i choose to go to a Rave thesedays it wouldnt be some poncy one in town,more than likely it would be an underground rave where there is no attitude and good vibes only

I wouldnt be seen dead at the likes of godskitchen,it might be ok for pilled up 17 years olds but its not my scene,weekly raves at the point wouldnt be a success its too big and there is too much competition,years ago maybe but not now,perhaps bi-monthly raves there would be an option,think is though this 1am closing is a load of bollock s,years ago the likes of Sides and the Asyum went on all nite,proper order..hope ive answered your questions,any more feel free to ask me..........

Last edited by jonny68; 15-06-2005 at 20:22.
jonny68 is offline  
15-06-2005, 21:01   #3
bohsboy
Registered User
 
bohsboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dalymount
Posts: 1,661
Well said Jonny and you covered every aspect I think. It was just a series of rooms almost pitch dark but had this unbelievable friendly vibe even though half the blokes were tooled up. I never saw any trouble.

Gardai and legal authorities were very slow to catch on to the rave scene back then with little or no idea of what constituted dance music, typical old style Gardai. The beauty of The Asylum was that the only power courts had then were to keep rejecting their licence but due to a legal loophole The Asylum reopened under a brand new name every couple of months with a fresh slate..eg. Thunderdome, etc.

1994 was its high point with Pressure, Warren K and Ed Case playing weekly but thats when the raids began. In fairness the police had footage of bouncers dealing on the front door and basically taking the piss.

On Paddys Day 1996 the place was raided at 6.30pm and huge hauls and numerous arrests were made from a full house. The shock of the timing of the raid and the amounts of drug found shocked the public and I dont think it ever opened up again.

Those days will never return because they were so original. I really think this era are missing out (and I dont want to sound as if I know it all) through promotional greed and "top" European DJ Wankers.

I still walk down by Sackville the odd time and look at where the old shutters used to be, it had such a mark on my youth. But on the flipside I know from talking to a few people from back then that most of the crowd then are either strung out, HIV positive or dead.
bohsboy is offline  
(3) thanks from:
15-06-2005, 21:51   #4
fish fingers
Registered User
 
fish fingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: galway
Posts: 996
the castle in salthill in galway had a great buzz from early to mid 90's.
diff nights including sex kitchen, kaos, wiped, jooce. real frindly crowd.
used to get some great dj's. justin robertson, carl cox, joey beltram, andy wetherall all played there. henry's in cork used to run buses up every few months. again like the early clubs in dublin the cops hadn a clue what was goin on. vicks, poppers, tops off, 30 pounds for 1 yoke. the cops eventually got there act together and closed it down. superintendent "Sugrue" was his name. bit ironic that. anyway happy memories
fish fingers is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-06-2005, 08:04   #5
garthv
Moderator
 
garthv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Your Face
Posts: 4,514
Send a message via MSN to garthv
Quote:
I wouldnt be seen dead at the likes of godskitchen,it might be ok for pilled up 17 years olds
Would'nt be seen dead?17 year olds!I'll have you know sonny that I went to GOdskitchen this year and had a ****ing blinder. I will admit it is a big knackerfest with people there just to get fùcked and not even think about the music but it was a damn good experience this year

But keeping On-Topic , Ive heard so much about this Asylum place and unfortunately I was born a few years too late,any pics floating about anywhere?

Last edited by garthv; 16-06-2005 at 08:12.
garthv is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-06-2005, 10:28   #6
Kingsize
Registered User
 
Kingsize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: No Longer bothered arguing with Fukking wankers on this forum.
Posts: 1,074
My younger brother had a mate who used to work as a cleaner in the Asylum.
(Back in 94 ish)
Needless to say one of the fringe benefits of cleaning up after saturday night was the amount of "stuff" (Money,drugs,booze)left behind...
btw the advent of G-Funk rap wasnt that special
Kingsize is offline  
Thanks from:
16-06-2005, 13:02   #7
v-deniso
Registered User
 
v-deniso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 121
One question, where exactly was The Asylum and also Sides?

I thought The Asylum was just around the conrer from the quays on the northside near the Four Courts
v-deniso is offline  
Thanks from:
16-06-2005, 14:20   #8
BaZmO*
Moderator
 
BaZmO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: ⓞⓞⓞⓞⓞⓞ
Posts: 14,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-deniso
One question, where exactly was The Asylum and also Sides?

I thought The Asylum was just around the conrer from the quays on the northside near the Four Courts
The Asylum is on Sackville Place (I think that's the name of the street?) But it was just off O'Connell St. down the side of Clerys.

And the entrance for Sides was in Dame Lane just across from 4 Dame Lane. The actual club itself is now the Mercantile (sp?), the Mercantile might not be the name but it's the pub that's next door to Iskanders on Dame Street.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny68
It wasn’t a nightclub as such it was just a number or large rooms with a dj box,lighting and throngs of people packed together mad out of it on yokes,ahh im getting goosebumps even thinking about it
It actually was a nightclub before. I think the name of it during the 80's was Mirage?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bohsboy
It was just a series of rooms almost pitch dark but had this unbelievable friendly vibe even though half the blokes were tooled up. I never saw any trouble
You’re right about the rooms. Extremely dark, with a menacing vibe. The main dancefloor downstairs was just a dark rectangular box of a room that had a metal cage at one end that was the DJ box, which was great because you could get up real close to the DJs. I remember seeing Carl Cox play there and I was literally just 2 feet away from him. That guy knows how to work a crowd!
The bar downstairs had camouflage netting draped in front of them which was well confusing when trying to get a drink while under the influence of class A’s.

I certainly wouldn't use words like "friendly" to describe the atmosphere in the Asylum. It had a good vibe in the beginning but it quickly turned into a real dodgy place. Mainly to do with the reasons jonny68 gave, but the fact that some high profile cases of people dying due to overindulging in E (or at least that’s what the English press claimed) was starting to make the headlines made people more aware of these types of clubs.
Plus Nora Owen was on a mission to eradicate drugs from society.

I remember a mate of mine nearly getting a good beating due to the fact that somebody thought he was selling E in there. It was sorted out in the end, but he was only giving another mate half a pill and the resident “dealer” I won’t say his name, but he was from Ballyfermot and was a ginger tosser, saw him and got all thick about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRtH_V
But keeping On-Topic , Ive heard so much about this Asylum place and unfortunately I was born a few years too late,any pics floating about anywhere?
You’d be doing well to get pictures mate. It well before the days of Digital Cameras and picture phones!


Now Sides DC on the other hand was as jonny68 said…

Quote:
was Ireland's first and greatest ever dance club.
Truly a legendary club with great music and a great vibe. It did however close down and then reopen a few years later but tbh it was never the same.
I used to love when they’d cut all the lights and have the just the strobe light going for what one seem like an eternity.

It befell to what usually happens to clubs after they’ve been running for a while, an influx of scum.

B.

Last edited by BaZmO*; 16-06-2005 at 14:25.
BaZmO* is offline  
Thanks from:
16-06-2005, 20:59   #9
jonny68
Registered User
 
jonny68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRtH_V
Would'nt be seen dead?17 year olds!I'll have you know sonny that I went to GOdskitchen this year and had a ****ing blinder. I will admit it is a big knackerfest with people there just to get fùcked and not even think about the music but it was a damn good experience this year

But keeping On-Topic , Ive heard so much about this Asylum place and unfortunately I was born a few years too late,any pics floating about anywhere?
dont mean to offend anyone mate but im from a different era that's all,im sure the youth of today think oits all great and fair play to them..
jonny68 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-06-2005, 21:11   #10
jonny68
Registered User
 
jonny68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaZmO*

Quote:
It actually was a nightclub before. I think the name of it during the 80's was Mirage?

Yeah your right actually id forgotten it was actually called Abraxis AFAIK i was there once in the 80's it was one of the very few places at that time that the very small black community could go(things were different then)


Quote:
Now Sides DC on the other hand was as jonny68 said…



Truly a legendary club with great music and a great vibe. It did however close down and then reopen a few years later but tbh it was never the same.
I used to love when they’d cut all the lights and have the just the strobe light going for what one seem like an eternity.

It befell to what usually happens to clubs after they’ve been running for a while, an influx of scum.
A man after my own heartIndeed we'll never see the likes of it again,that strobe light wasmental..AFAIK strobe lights are supposedly banned from clubs and raves thesedays?

Last edited by jonny68; 16-06-2005 at 21:14.
jonny68 is offline  
Thanks from:
17-06-2005, 05:24   #11
dSTAR
Registered User
 
dSTAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,734
I tell you what some of the stories are giving me a buzz remembering some of the mad nights I had in the 90's before I left Ireland. Even tho' I never went to The Asylum I did go to Sides and a few of the other 'legendary clubs/raves' mentioned.

I remember the buzz at the back of Sides in the alley with people milling around off their faces. One particular night I popped a 'blue couch' and decided I would take the edge off it with a pill. I picked up what I thought was an e of this bloke and decided I would check out this club that was next door to Ri Ra's called Fi Fi's which sounded like it played some good tunes.

I remember waking up in the toilets at about 3am in a very groggy state with the sound of someone banging on the door. Instead of a night of bangin tunes I got lost down a K hole with a bouncer bangin on a door to get me out! It was at that time it started getting nasty with all sorts of crap being passed off as e's.

Even still looking back over that whole period in the 90's is enough to make me misty eyed. As BohsBoy said in another thread they were,

Crazy, crazy times...

It really was a unique period in the history of Irish clubs and I don't think we will ever see a return to it. As I listen to Grace "Not Over Yet" and sink a Melbourne Bitter I can't help getting all nostalgic and missing Dublin in the good ol' days...

Declan
dSTAR is offline  
Thanks from:
17-06-2005, 07:55   #12
bohsboy
Registered User
 
bohsboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dalymount
Posts: 1,661
Nice one DStar, lump in my throat stuff that!

I think RTE did a brief documentary around 95 or 96 on the club/drug scene and shot footage one night in the Asylum. Suppose it would be impossible to track down now.

Just remembered a classic memory from that place, about five in the morning one nite, through the haze a bride and groom are giving it loads on the floor in full wedding gear and no-one batting an eyelid. I pray they were on the way home from a fancy dress party!

There is a nice video on www.mrspring.net in the downloads, old section, called backto1993 and has some great clips from back in the day.

The only other venue I think could hold anything near to the atmosphere from back then would be the SFX. I saw Underworld there back in 96 and it was probably just as crazy. Nice and dark and had that "ravey" feel.

Have a couple of tapes from then if anyone would like to trade plus Abbey Discs still sell a good few from the Asylum and early Pressure stuff.
bohsboy is offline  
Thanks from:
17-06-2005, 08:10   #13
KdjaCL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 20,170
The Asylum was a filthy hole but **** me the music in it was superb.

Just close your eyes and boogie


kdjac
KdjaCL is offline  
Thanks from:
17-06-2005, 09:47   #14
Kingsize
Registered User
 
Kingsize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: No Longer bothered arguing with Fukking wankers on this forum.
Posts: 1,074
he he he
id totally forgotten about abraxas!! but yeah i do remember hearing that the place would be thronged with members of the asian & black community cos wanker bouncers everywhere else would not let them in.
it was a bit before my time but only slightly, I can remember Only ever going to sides once back in the day but I had a great time!!!!
Kingsize is offline  
Thanks from:
17-06-2005, 18:39   #15
jonny68
Registered User
 
jonny68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohsboy
Nice one DStar, lump in my throat stuff that!

I think RTE did a brief documentary around 95 or 96 on the club/drug scene and shot footage one night in the Asylum. Suppose it would be impossible to track down now.

Just remembered a classic memory from that place, about five in the morning one nite, through the haze a bride and groom are giving it loads on the floor in full wedding gear and no-one batting an eyelid. I pray they were on the way home from a fancy dress party!

There is a nice video on www.mrspring.net in the downloads, old section, called backto1993 and has some great clips from back in the day.

The only other venue I think could hold anything near to the atmosphere from back then would be the SFX. I saw Underworld there back in 96 and it was probably just as crazy. Nice and dark and had that "ravey" feel.

Have a couple of tapes from then if anyone would like to trade plus Abbey Discs still sell a good few from the Asylum and early Pressure stuff.
Bride and groom in the asylum fcukin hell thats deadly yeah i sent that back to 93 video alright its the business as is the fun city one my first ever large event in 1990 in the Point,you couldnt get an E that nite for love nor money but somehow some people managed to get some and were mad out of it..ahh all this nostalgia is getting me all light headed

PS-you going the match tomorrow nite Bohs Boy?Off to Belgium next week as well deadly
jonny68 is offline  
Thanks from:
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search