Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-07-2010, 20:33   #31
catbear

Interesting thread, nostalgia can be fun.

My memory of Kilkenny in the Eighties was a run down drab place that only started getting interesting in the mid nineties. High street had loads of gaps in it for ages.

It was so quiet that I could drive up town and often park right outside The Sports Shop, anyone remember the stuffed animals in the window?
Advertisement
29-07-2010, 21:43   #32
fabbydabby

No but I 'member buying a super soaker in there for about 20 pounds (as it was at the time) a fkin year's pocket money it probably was. And an hour later i found out that the guy in Toymaster was selling identical ones for what they were really worth. About 8 pounds.

GUTTED.

So that day I swore an evil gypsy curse on his building: That one day it might become a half-assed Byrne's World of Wonder (a hemisphere of wonder I suppose), a crap bookshop and be subjected to tone deaf hippy drum circles for the entire summer from the Tholstel.
Thanks from:
30-07-2010, 02:06   #33
Mackman

Great thread!

I used to love the regent, trying to sneak in your own sweets, and the double seats were great.

I remember going to Goods basement for shoes that were 3 sizes to big, so that i would grow into them.

And when Paris texas used to be Crotty's. My mam used to buy our birthday cakes in there.

remember when the book shop used to have the music section down the back? I used to buy all my tapes there.

The betting shop beside the Village Inn used to be a video store. me and my cousin used to rent all our megadrive games in there. We would rent it for one night, stay up till 4 in the morning trying to finish it.

And the video shop in irish town, that's now Reddy Associates. Used to rent a lot of videos in there. And they used to rent out consoles and video players too

Edit: catbear, i dont remember the stuffed animals, but i do remember the gun shop downstairs. We used to sneak down there and look at all the guns, fascinated

Last edited by Mackman; 30-07-2010 at 02:08.
30-07-2010, 09:05   #34
catbear

For the bonus point, can anyone tell what was the longest running movie ever shown in the Regent Cinema?

I heard this second hand but from a reliable source.
30-07-2010, 09:48   #35
Captain Havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbear View Post
For the bonus point, can anyone tell what was the longest running movie ever shown in the Regent Cinema?

The Passion of St. Tibulus?
Advertisement
30-07-2010, 10:10   #36
Threadhead

I remember Titanic was shown for 3 months. I was a teenager at the time and thus, really only had the cinema as an outlet for doing anything really. I was well gutted that there was nothing I could go see for 3 months. They used to have late showings of movies after Titanic (Starship Troopers, Boogie Nights) but there's no way I would have gotten in. I would have loved to have seen Boogie Night in the Regent.

I also remember being a smaller kid and going away for an entire summer and when it started Jurassic Park was on and when I came back Jurassic Park was still on.

I'm gonna go for Titanic though. ?

Extra bonus point if anyone can remember what the last film shown in the Regent was?
30-07-2010, 12:10   #37
fabbydabby

Toy Story 2?

My sister brought me to Lady and the Tramp in the Regent and after 'The Bubbles' were switched off at the start, she told me to get my coat because the movie was over and I started crying.

I haven't forgotten this.

'Member the oul wan with the torch? Lucky they didn't have superbright LED's back in the day. And then for a spell around the late '90's a load of knobgobblers would bring in laser pointers and shine them in Christian Slater's face as he was attempting to act.
30-07-2010, 12:44   #38
underpantshead

i remember jurassic park lasting for ages too!
but i am going to go for a curve ball here and chance my arm with teenage mutant ninja turtles!? that was hugh when it came to the regent.
30-07-2010, 13:23   #39
brettmirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
remember when the book shop used to have the music section down the back? I used to buy all my tapes there.
I'd forgotten about the music section. Downstairs in Sherwoods used to be great for CDs/tapes/vinyl too. There was a music shop on Patrick St too. Think its a coffee shop now. It was beside the old McGraths hardware shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbear View Post

Was it Crocodile Dundee?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-07-2010, 14:00   #40
Captain Havoc

Brian Stones hardware and Mulhalls Bakery there on Green St. and John Kennys shop around the corner on Bishops Hill. Monaghans newsagents by the steps to St. Canices. Wasn't the video shop in Irishtown where the café is now beside Jim Lowrys called the Gogglebox? I remember we used to get the 18+ movies in Mick Hennessys video shop on Kieran St. and I think the video shop beside the entrance to the Rivercourt was the Movie House.

Longest Movie, was it Robin Hood Prince of Thieves?
30-07-2010, 18:24   #41
catbear

My source told me it was the Care Bars movie but this was before Titanic so I'd say Titanic probably was the longest run.
30-07-2010, 20:56   #42
Daemos

The Herlaldic Store in Market Cross was a great place, still can't understand why they closed. I remember they had loads of great stuff in there, I bought a small, blunt, replica sword-thing (which when you're 14 years old is the coolest thing ever), a replica ring from LOTR, and when I saw they were closing I bought two bookends with a fake knife going through.
30-07-2010, 21:10   #43
brettmirl

Not really a shop, but does anyone remember the original chip van that used to be on the parade? It was yellow and white. Used to be inside Nowlan Park on match days too.
30-07-2010, 21:25   #44
catbear

I miss Tall Tales book shop.
30-07-2010, 21:40   #45
PhilipMarlowe
Oh Well, Okay

Griffins on Rose Inn St. was cool in a 'brown' kind of way.
Buting singles in Woolworths (Chic - I Want Your Love was my first.. kind of funny that I bought disco and I dance like a ****)
My dad buying and eating Nougat in Mooneys though FTW!

Oh, and that veterinary supplies? shop on Parliament Street.. name escapes me?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion