Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-02-2005, 19:54   #1
Fonzy

Looking to take up a new pastime in Waterford

Hi fellow Waterford Boardees..
I recently had to give up badminton because it was damaging my knee. I was told that other sports wont have the same bad effect so Ive to go looking elsewhere.

The thing is.. Its kinda hard for a twenty something to take up a new sport from complete scratch. I like jogging or running long distances, but other than the badminton Ive never done much other sport or stuff that gets me out of the house for a while.

SO.. Ive a job for ya all.

If you're in a club of any kind in Waterford.. be that sports or otherwise, that accepts complete newbies, any chance you'd let me know the details?

At this stage Im not too worried if its a sports club or not, Its the social side of sports that I really enjoy anyway..

This post might be worthwhile for fellow newbies in other sports so Id be delighted to get info on what kind of club you're in, when / where they meet up, and if they take on new members.

Seen as the God of Knees has deemed my badminton career to be over.. Id be delighted to hear of alternatives!

Thanks a lot for your help!
Advertisement
15-02-2005, 21:19   #2
kensutz

Send a message via Skype™ to kensutz
Nightowls? I really don't know myself what else you could do. unless you fancy trips to Carrow Road every Saturday lol. Volleyball is available in the Presentation Thurs nites but might be damaging.
15-02-2005, 21:29   #3
Trotter
Closed Account

You could try the Army Reserve..
Based in the barracks on Green St. Waterford.

All sorts of interesting outdoor stuff and all of the kinds of things you'd see on www.military.ie

Wednesdays 8pm.. The age limit is 17 so you're fine if your in your twenties. Dunno if the knee issue would cause you hassle though. You'd have to pass a medical anyways but if your own doc reckons its just the nature of badminton (which I know full well how hard it can be on your knees) then you shouldnt have a lot of trouble In my opinion.
15-02-2005, 21:43   #4
Fonzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensutz
Nightowls? I really don't know myself what else you could do. unless you fancy trips to Carrow Road every Saturday lol. Volleyball is available in the Presentation Thurs nites but might be damaging.
Nightowls is the soccer league isnt it? Id say Id last 2 matches before being booted out for being useless at soccer! .. Although maybe I could play for Norwich?
19-02-2005, 13:21   #5
kano476

rowing? I think waterpark do it. not sure though.
Advertisement
19-02-2005, 22:37   #6
Rew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kano476
rowing? I think waterpark do it. not sure though.
There is a Rowing club just in front of the Marina Hotel beside Canada Sq. I used to row and can def recomend it. Not sure how the knee would hold out its very physical on the legs (and everything else!).
22-02-2005, 15:41   #7
dlofnep
Closed Account

You could try our brazilian jiu-jitsu classes. It's known as the most effective martial art on the planet.. it's good fun and will keep your in good shape.. It's based around takedowns, chokes and effective holds. Anyone who thinks it's not effective is always welcome to try it out for themself. It's a great crack and helps build confidence in your ability to defend yourself.

If you are interested, go to hapkido.ie for more information on the club or send me a message. We are out in tramore. Everyone out there is very friendly.
22-02-2005, 16:52   #8
Fonzy

Cheers dlofnep, I'll have a think about that one! Im not sure the knee would stand up to a whole lot of throws but I'll definitely stick it on the list of possibles along with rowing and the army reserve.

A friend of mine told me that cycling would be a great way to get active again and strengthen the knee up. Does anyone know about cycling clubs in Waterford?

OR.. Ive seen loads of people jogging together around the Kilbarry area a few nights in the past while. Is that part of an athletics club?? Id be into that!
01-03-2005, 09:56   #9
AdMMM

Send a message via MSN to AdMMM
Aye Im a member of the Waterford Rowing Club. I really enjoy it, however it will be very demanding on your knee, and at twenty something it might be hard for you to pick it up as the other twenty somethings seem to have been rowing since their teens!
Advertisement
04-03-2005, 15:15   #10
Kyu Who?

Send a message via MSN to Kyu Who? Send a message via Yahoo to Kyu Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlofnep
You could try our brazilian jiu-jitsu classes. It's known as the most effective martial art on the planet.. it's good fun and will keep your in good shape.. It's based around takedowns, chokes and effective holds. Anyone who thinks it's not effective is always welcome to try it out for themself. It's a great crack and helps build confidence in your ability to defend yourself.

If you are interested, go to hapkido.ie for more information on the club or send me a message. We are out in tramore. Everyone out there is very friendly.
hey dlofnep where abouts is ur dojo?...and whats the diff between this and other martial arts such as TKD or shotokan..
10-03-2005, 20:02   #11
dcarroll

Dogging - newtown in tramore, starts about 11.30 every fri and sat nite
Buy a copy of fhm if ya need more info, you'll need a car too (suppose ya could try it on a scooter)
10-03-2005, 22:49   #12
Trotter
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarroll
Dogging - newtown in tramore, starts about 11.30 every fri and sat nite
Buy a copy of fhm if ya need more info, you'll need a car too (suppose ya could try it on a scooter)

It'd have to be a spacious car, the lad has a bad knee
12-03-2005, 16:45   #13
Trotter
Closed Account

Heres a question.. Im in a similar boat to Fonzy, Ive never played Gaelic Football in my life, but Id love to start! Im 23.. so Im presuming that very few football clubs would entertain a newby like that.

Can anyone tell me different? Any Waterford GAA heads here to advise me?
14-03-2005, 22:09   #14
Quigs Snr

Forget rowing anyway, I did it for 9 years for various clubs and had to quit due to the damage it did to me ! Knee problems are a major no-no.

Cycling is a little easier on the knees, if somewhat harder on the lungs. Comeragh are the only club in the city and are primarily a race club, but you could show up for their sunday morning spins at 10am sunday mornings at the bank of Ireland in lisduggan. Distances are reasonable and the pace is ok. I am cycling now myself and a bunch of 3 or 4 of us not affiliated with a club often head out for spins at the weekend too. There a re a few small groups like that. Dungarvan cycling club have a decent leisure element who spin along at handy light speeds, there are quite a few of them based in the city who meet up weekly. I tend to train for leisure events rather than races these days,m stuff like the wicklow 200 etc...
16-03-2005, 16:09   #15
kano476

make sure you get the signals right for dogging though. a lexus would be handy for that.

is the hapkido the one in the prodestant hall in tramore? a few of my friends go to that and they said it was class.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion