Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

POTW 566: 20/3/21 - 26/3/21

• 25-04-2021 9:19pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

THIS WEEK'S POTW GOES TO:

johnmcdnl
    51054384832_64da9b9b74_b.jpg

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

bernard0368
    51055280552_288d7e3a07_b.jpg

Gregor Samsa
    51056831417_04cdb3a775_b.jpg

keps
    51073649987_2f0018ac4b_c.jpg

DaireQuinlan
    51058688098_9c66d612b8_b.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS johnmcdnl
    Some information on the winning shot would be appreciated.

WELL DONE HMs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Thanks Myksyk as ever for all the hard work in keeping on top of the POTWs.

For background on this - cheating like usual by being in NZ, and just being able to point my camera at pretty things and places.
    This is the Tasman Glacier, and the Tasman Glacier lake, in Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park.
    In 1973, there was no lake, but as the world's glaciers melt today the lake is over 7km long.

It was a wet windy morning, and in the Hooker valley, located next to this valley there was quite heavy rain. However, here in the Tasman Glacier valley, the mountains however were doing just about enough to keep the rain out and just a little drizzle was falling despite the very ominous looking clouds which just threatened to turn into a massive downpour at any moment. With just a little sunshine peaking through I was trying to capture the mood of the morning.

It's a long exposure (15secs) to give the smoothness to the clouds to give it the little dreamy feel to it.
    Processing wise, I think I just took one of Lightroom's built in Profiles that gave the image a Sepia-ish tone, as I wanted to make it somewhat duotone with a yellow highlights and black shadows, and I added some extra adjustments using Split Toning to further emphasise the colour scheme I was looking for.

Advertisement