Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is there a way to put a dog down peacefully at home?

Options
  • 21-01-2021 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

my 12 year old brown lab is really suffering at the moment

arthritis front and back, we've had him on anti inflammatories last two years and more recently pain relief last 6 months

his quality of life is pretty poor now, he walks a few yards in the morning and toilet if the legs can get going and up at feeding time he's moving about but the rest of the time he's on a bed we made for him in the family room, afternoon-evening is whining all the time now, sometimes at 4 in the morning, he's miserable and sadly for me and him I think it's time to say goodbye

I've seen other people in my wider family keep their dogs alive way beyond what I think is fair on the dog and I swore to god that I would never let him suffer (but yet here I am letting him suffer?!)

anyway

what I wanted to ask is if there is a way to have him go to sleep here in the house in his own familiar surroundings, is there any kit the vet can give me to administer at home? it's a Dublin urban scenario as opposed to on the farm etc.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭monicafussy

Yes my beloved pet was sent over the rainbow here at home ,it was so peaceful and the vet was so respectful i got to spend time with her after she passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You can book a home appointment with the vet, we did it for all our dogs. It's very peaceful and it really helps.
    In Covid times perhaps they would like you to be outside?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In the past you could have a vet call to your home and do the needful

I suspect given the restrictions that may not be possible now though? Maybe ring your vet?

I imagine it would be malpractice for them to give you what would be needed to do it yourself tbh

Best wishes, its a crappy enough time at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

You can find a vet who will do in home euthanasia - likely to have to be done in the garden with COVID restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭monicafussy

It was done recently for me ,all ppe etc

• Advertisement

Best of luck, Martco, my heart breaks when I hear of these situations. You're doing the right thing, anyway, in case you need to hear it from someone. Give him a rub and a scratch behind the ear from me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

martco wrote: »

arthritis front and back, we've had him on anti inflammatories last two years and more recently pain relief last 6 months

his quality of life is pretty poor now, he walks a few yards in the morning and toilet if the legs can get going and up at feeding time he's moving about but the rest of the time he's on a bed we made for him in the family room, afternoon-evening is whining all the time now, sometimes at 4 in the morning, he's miserable and sadly for me and him I think it's time to say goodbye

I've seen other people in my wider family keep their dogs alive way beyond what I think is fair on the dog and I swore to god that I would never let him suffer (but yet here I am letting him suffer?!)

anyway

what I wanted to ask is if there is a way to have him go to sleep here in the house in his own familiar surroundings, is there any kit the vet can give me to administer at home? it's a Dublin urban scenario as opposed to on the farm etc.

thanks

So sorry to read OP but if your dogs quality of life isn’t what it should be you are definitely making the right decision

Yes - call your vet and explain .. ask for a home visit, if your own vet won’t do it call another some will / some won’t given covid etc.

We said goodbye to our Cody in August 2019, at home in the garden he loved , in the sunshine .. it was very peaceful for him.. and quiet and not stressful for him.. not for us it was the most difficult thing we’ve ever had to do but we did it for him.

Call your vet / if not call around and find someone who will do a house visit. If I was faced with the same decision again even in covid times I’d find a vet to come to the house ..,

Best of luck and stay strong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sorry about your dog OP. :( I know my own vet in Dublin has suspended home visits with level 5. We chose not to do it at home for Lucy for a few reasons and it was extremely peaceful at the vets. (She loved it there) Unless your dog is going to get stressed out at the vets I’d put him first in this situation and make an appointment - instead of spending time calling around trying to find somebody to come out. It doesn’t matter where it’s done at the end of the day as long as you’re by his side. A big bag of treats and lots of cuddles for him as you see him off.
    (And just to echo another poster - no - the vets won’t give you medicine to do this yourself)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sorry to hear of the sad situation confronting you now op... awful. But it does seem like you're doing the right thing for him.
    Another option might be, if he likes going in the car, to make up a really comfy bed for him in it, and bring him to the surgery for the vet to come out and let him go to sleep in the car.
    I've done this a couple of times, with dogs who loved going for spins in the car, whilst I sat with them, holding them and telling them how loved they are.
    Maybe this would work for you too.
    Best of luck with what lies ahead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

DBB wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of the sad situation confronting you now op... awful. But it does seem like you're doing the right thing for him.
    Another option might be, if he likes going in the car, to make up a really comfy bed for him in it, and bring him to the surgery for the vet to come out and let him go to sleep in the car.
    I've done this a couple of times, with dogs who loved going for spins in the car, whilst I sat with them, holding them and telling them how loved they are.
    Maybe this would work for you too.
    Best of luck with what lies ahead :(

This is what we did with our dog, when we couldnt get a vet to come to our home. I too sat in the back seat and the vet leaned into the car and administered the dose. All over in seconds. I would phone your vet to see if a home euthanasia is possible, or a car appointment as a second option? Best wishes OP - a sad time, but its the last loving act you can do for your pet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

martco wrote: »

anyway

thanks

So sorry to hear about your Labrador, our girl is coming 14 in May and for the past two years has been on half a heart tablet and arthritis medication.
    In October she has problems standing and wobbled we really thought that was it, our vet tried a few different tablets, currently on half heart tablet, circulatory table twice daily, steroid in morning and pain killer ( actually a human one in evening), also special mobility dog food, so far so good, not 100% wobble free but great and so happy to see us and kinda bit crazy, now next week need to take her to get her bloods done just to see what effect/damage steroids are doing on liver/ kidneys. The vet has said it could be a month or months and the vet couldn't believe how good our girl is doing.

I have one wish that she passes away peacefully in her sleep ( hope your boy does too) and we won't have to make the call but if she is suffering it is the best thing you can do for your pet. My youngest will be coming 15 and he was just a few months when we got her as a puppy.

Has your vet tried different medicines and tests on your dog. Wishing you all the best and your doggie was lucky too with your kindness, a lot of poor unfortunate dogs with not so nice people.

Someone said to me ( when they heard the vet bills and medicine costs over past two years, prob 4k plus would I not put her down, I wasn't impressed and said she is a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Home euthanasia is possible but I’m not sure if it is done with Covid.
    Otherwise the vet will give you an appointment last in the day so you are not rushed and have the time you need

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

you can also have your dog put to sleep while he is in your car at the vets its a familiar place if its urgent. vets in the country are doing house calls as they are allowed to.

Advertisement