06-01-2021, 09:33   #16
shesty

I am reading Barack Obama's latest book at the moment, and his mother had a great line which I feel may be used on occasion with my oldest child in the coming weeks......when he said he was bored, she told him to go and read a book, then come back and tell her something he learned.
There is something in that....,:-)
Advertisement
06-01-2021, 10:05   #17
Neyite
Administrator

I take it Barack didn't eye-roll his mother and declare the exercise booooring.
07-01-2021, 13:29   #18
shesty

He omitted to specify what his response was
Thanks from:
09-01-2021, 09:29   #19
shesty

Neyite, you said your guy likes drawing....i don't know, would this be any good, but if you go to the Disney online store, there is a section with free printables for colouring, but also a section for animation.I haven't looked too deeply in at it but I think the idea is they walk through the process of drawing and animation.You would probably need a printer, but it might be worth having a look at, just something else to add to your list!

https://www.shopdisney.eu/events-and-activities
Thanks from:
09-01-2021, 10:59   #20
jlm29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesty View Post
Neyite, you said your guy likes drawing....i don't know, would this be any good, but if you go to the Disney online store, there is a section with free printables for colouring, but also a section for animation.I haven't looked too deeply in at it but I think the idea is they walk through the process of drawing and animation.You would probably need a printer, but it might be worth having a look at, just something else to add to your list!

https://www.shopdisney.eu/events-and-activities
My oldest guy is nine, and loves Pokemon. Maybe the summer before last, when he was coming up to 8, I printed out free printable pokemon colouring pages and he spent hours and hours colouring them in. He was motivated to do this, because I promised him I would get them published as a book when he was done . I brought them to a print shop locally and had them bound into a book (cost around a fiver).
Advertisement
09-01-2021, 13:06   #21
shesty

Lovely idea jlm.ðŸ˜I might do that for my eldest - she draws constantly, it would be nice to make a little book of some of her drawings because they are nice.
09-01-2021, 17:10   #22
Lashes28

A time capsule we started today. Scrap book of newspapers/print outs of what's happening, how they feel,what they are doing each day,school from home,picture of them etc so when this is all over and they older they can have something to look back and remember what they went through...
(3) thanks from:
09-01-2021, 17:39   #23
Redser87

tradtime.ie has great interactive lessons for tin whistle if that's any good to anyone.
We had a chess tournament in my class once on http://chessossity.com/

Both online I know but a useful way for them to engage with their devices.

I would also recommend The Anti-Colouring Book for 8+. It's a bit old school but some nice ideas for them to get creative.
10-01-2021, 09:09   #24
chases0102

If there were any interactive art/activity YouTube programmes, might be great to pass an hour or so! Have a 3 y/o, who's quite good to play but the day can be quite long as I'm sure you'll all agree, so any new ideas always welcome!

Incidentally, one of the nicer shows that I find for his age group would be SuperWhy - superheroes who solves problems using reading/spelling!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-01-2021, 09:34   #25
screamer

I had my 3 kids last time, working full time from home and pregnant also, just to make sure I had enough stress. To be honest the smaller kids lose interest quickly in anything really, so I ended up letting them outside to play, I still do I just wrap them up well, they need the air and exercise to burn off steam. I also get them to help with chores like loading the dryer or dishwasher. They enjoy hoovering too. Getting them to help with dinner or lunch. Small things really. What I found in lockdown - was that my working time was the same but my day changed. I used to stretch my work out so I wouldn’t be finished till later, but if I needed an hour off during the day if the kids were particularly unsettled, then that was fine too. My boss was flexible and I needed that as my husband wasn’t allowed to work even one day at home.
(4) thanks from:
10-01-2021, 14:04   #26
cant26

Simon Hetherington is live streaming free Art classes every Monday and Thursday mornings at 10.30 throughout the lockdown.
(3) thanks from:
10-01-2021, 19:53   #27
Neyite
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer View Post
I had my 3 kids last time, working full time from home and pregnant also, just to make sure I had enough stress. To be honest the smaller kids lose interest quickly in anything really, so I ended up letting them outside to play, I still do I just wrap them up well, they need the air and exercise to burn off steam. I also get them to help with chores like loading the dryer or dishwasher. They enjoy hoovering too. Getting them to help with dinner or lunch. Small things really. What I found in lockdown - was that my working time was the same but my day changed. I used to stretch my work out so I wouldn’t be finished till later, but if I needed an hour off during the day if the kids were particularly unsettled, then that was fine too. My boss was flexible and I needed that as my husband wasn’t allowed to work even one day at home.
Fair play to you!!
Your husband's boss is a bollox by the way. But you already probably know that
Someone I know had her kids thinking that doing the dishwasher was a HUGE treat and they only got it if they begged. I keep telling her that she needs to write a parenting blog!

Outdoor play is really important. My problem is that if I let my lad outside, the neighbour kids (one family) want to play with him and I piss them all off by being the bad guy.

Currently we have on the go - art, pastels. I'll also look into that disney link Shesty. And I love the idea of a time capsule!! That's going to be on the list for sure. I'm going to get his cousin to teach him a bit of music remotely - even learning how to play twinkle twinkle on the guitar might get him strumming and enjoying it. I don't really care if he doesn't like something, as long as a) I've got something to suggest when I get "Mom, I'm bored" and b) keep him busy for 30 mins or so!
Thanks from:
11-01-2021, 14:18   #28
shesty

Have to admit Neyite, if I can close my ears to the "I'm SO bored" for 15 mins or so, I find they do give up whining about it, and go and find something to amuse themselves.It depends on how much you can stick it though really.
11-01-2021, 14:21   #29
Neyite
Administrator

He got stuck into his schoolwork over breakfast at 9am and was done and dusted by 10.30
Thanks from:
20-01-2021, 20:47   #30
Ms2011

Outschool do alot of online classes, my 8 year loves Roblox so loves the classes on drawing the characters or coding new games but there are loads of options.

https://outschool.com/online-classes#abkk5wdubb
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion