Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

bish76 wrote: »
    PINS is down to $77. What's the general feeling about medium/ long term prospects. Tech growth stocks have taken general beating anyways but is there anything specific I am missing.

I sold out of Pinterest at $34 at the start of August last year. So it's now gone back to be 'only' double what it was 8 months ago.
    Don't think it's a beating, more a regression to the mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Thanks so I better hold off temptation. Anything I bought on Motley brother recommendations (LMND, SKLZ) has made me Fool. This one is their recommendation in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

Thanks so I better hold off temptation. Anything I bought on Motley brother recommendations (LMND, SKLZ) has made me Fool. This one is their recommendation in April.

I think (and hope) this is just a temporary pull back from the high growth stocks. They are solid companies, they will come back... I'm in them for long term. My BEP for Clov is 7.8, evening out a lot of the red..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Well that didn't last long, back down to $8.45 again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Well that didn't last long, back down to $8.45 again

Seems to be some confusion around the actual number of outstanding shares.
    The CEOs has around 83m class b shares, if these are included the short interest is about 10%, if they aren’t its 144%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

cc87 wrote: »
    Seems to be some confusion around the actual number of outstanding shares.
    The CEOs has around 83m class b shares, if these are included the short interest is about 10%, if they aren’t its 144%.

https://twitter.com/HindenburgRes/status/1383137796504879115?s=19

Yes correct

Atlas_IRL wrote: »

This might get more interesting next week.

Looks like the CEOs shares can’t be traded currently and won’t come into play until the share price is over 30$ For 90 days.

Hindenburg’s short position is around the 6.50 mark so a short squeeze is the last thing they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Gamma1 wrote: »
    Yes Magnis good to me in the past sold on a high recently - might now get back in

Up nearly 40% since posting. I think if it tips 50 it'll breakout again. Although in saying that it's still a penny stock, but it is now in a far stronger market position than it ever was In 2017... but now with a sprinkling of Biden people on top :pac:
    Be warned though I was bag holding in the 40s for a looooong time before, only a small position in it though so no worries.

550436.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Nice little move on Metromile, perhaps in the wake of Clov or because they were on mad money. Still down 10% though, might see break even next week or it retreats. Have to consider selling at break even in this market. Won't sell at a loss though, would rather hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Getting destroyed in KBNT and PERI, thing is I dont see any reason for it, my original thesis still holds so am not selling, too late now to be honest, too deep in the hole. I sold APPS in similar circumstances and it would have been a 15 bagger or more for me had i not panic sold, maybe it will happen again, who knows. PERI i am more hopeful, KBNT remains the moonshot though, they are hiring which is a brilliant sign.
    Have decided to leave PERI and KBNT alone in Degiro (and try to ignore my money going down the toilet) and am putting extra funds into investment trusts in Davy and Trading 212 and let the money managers make the investing decisions for me.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    ...... putting extra funds into investment trusts in Davy and Trading 212 and let the money managers make the investing decisions for me.
    Which investment trusts are you buying on Trading 212 if you don't mind. I am on degiro and not a good choice of investment trusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Which investment trusts are you buying on Trading 212 if you don't mind. I am on degiro and not a good choice of investment trusts.
    Got this email from Degiro yesterday FYI:
    Dear Investor,

We have some exciting news regarding the exchange-traded funds (ETFs) we offer free of commission!

Diversification is key
    We believe that diversifying your investments is key to a healthy portfolio. To promote diversification, we have always tried to make this as easy and accessible as possible by providing you with a broad range of carefully selected ETFs at zero transaction costs!

We have now updated and improved the list of commission-free ETFs
    We have selected these based on their popularity among our clients and have made sure you have ample choice in selecting different sectors and regions. You can also find plenty of ETFs with high ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) ratings. In this PDF and our platform, you can find the complete list. We have also created this page where you can search and filter through the list more easily.

The updated list has gone into effect per the 15th of April
    The ETFs included in the old list but not the new list will remain commission-free until the 14th of May.

Though DEGIRO is more than just low fees, we’re happy to offer you these perks.

https://www.degiro.ie/fees/commission-free-etfs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Thargor wrote: »
    Got this email from Degiro yesterday FYI:

I got the same.

Anyone done any shortlisting on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I got the same.

Anyone done any shortlisting on it?

I believe the tax implication makes them less attractive than CGT on shares. I seem to recall it being discussed in this forum. I would like to be corrected as I find them a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

MAJJ wrote: »
    I believe the tax implication makes them less attractive than CGT on shares. I seem to recall it being discussed in this forum. I would like to be corrected as I find them a great idea.

Deemed disposal is a bit of a ballache but the risk is lower so not a bad to diversify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

13f's to the SEC are rolling in now, they always make for interesting reading

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

SMT and USA (note not the ETF VUSA) are two of my favourites, I also like ATT and HGT

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

MAJJ wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the tax implication. It's 41% of the gain rather than 33%, but if ya break it down, say a share/EFT goes up 10% of the year....
    - with shares you'd pay 33% of the 10% as tax - so you get an effective 6.7% gain
    - with ETF's you'd pay 41% of the 10% as tax - so you get an effective 5.9% gain

It's not a huge difference for the less effort involved.
    Smee_Again wrote: »
    Deemed disposal is a bit of a ballache but the risk is lower so not a bad to diversify.
    DD isn't as bad as it makes out. It's 1 hour of admin a year to get the calcualtions, and it's a tax return you have to do each year when you're buying/selling shares anyway.

Don't hold ETF at the moment but my understanding is that US domicile ETFs are taxed as shares - 33% CGT on sale and income tax on dividend...

Nice day to buy some crypto....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the tax implication. It's 41% of the gain rather than 33%, but if ya break it down, say a share/EFT goes up 10% of the year....
    - with shares you'd pay 33% of the 10% as tax - so you get an effective 6.7% gain
    - with ETF's you'd pay 41% of the 10% as tax - so you get an effective 5.9% gain

DD isn't as bad as it makes out. It's 1 hour of admin a year to get the calcualtions, and it's a tax return you have to do each year when you're buying/selling shares anyway.

Thanks for explaining this so clearly appreciate you explaining it for me and the other.posters that I may have caused a doubt for !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Shedite27 wrote: »

I'll be due to submit these calculations for the first time this year. Wondering what people use to make the calculation. Do you have like a spreadsheet or is there an app that calculates it? I'm with Degiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Don't hold ETF at the moment but my understanding is that US domicile ETFs are taxed as shares - 33% CGT on sale and income tax on dividend...

Except as EU citizens we can't buy US ETFs

cronos wrote: »
    I'll be due to submit these calculations for the first time this year. Wondering what people use to make the calculation. Do you have like a spreadsheet or is there an app that calculates it? I'm with Degiro.

I only buy/sell shares and use spredsheets for working out the CGT. Export all transactions from Degiro and match any sales with the corresponding purchases.

For ETF's if youre calcualting for the 8 year Deemed Dispiosal, you'd have to get the ETF price on the purchase and 8 years later - Degiro won't output that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Where would you buy BABA? Normally I would use NSY, but as the USA will eventually delist Chinese companies from their exchanges I’m thinking should I just buy it on HKS and avoid the hassle?

Jaysus, 2 people died after they mistook driver assistance with autonomous driving. They thought their Tesla had the autonomous system, this car didn't

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0419/1210680-tesla-texas/

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

RedRochey wrote: »
    Except as EU citizens we can't buy US ETFs

Are you sure about this? I didn't think this was an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

cronos wrote: »

The worst part of EFT’s is that you can’t offset the profits against losses. That’s why they are poor for Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

MANU may be volatile today and worth a look.
    Not sure if any other of the super league teams are open to buy in to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Cpfm wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I didn't think this was an issue.

Ya fairly sure, EU citizens can only buy ETFs that produce KIIDs, the US ETFs don't so therefore we can't buy them, it's new regulation that came in 2018 called PRIIPs I think

Advertisement