Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sage Barista Express

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I went to make the first cup after about 10 mins after turning the machine on.

• Folks, I’d just like to make it very clear that good espresso isn’t made by a machine it’s made by correct procedures.

the barista express is a wholly capable machine and blaming failed shots on the machine is a cop out imo.

It is your technique which is faulty. Espresso is not easy to do properly! I’d caution anyone looking at the thread and planning to buy one that you will need to learn how to make espresso if you want nice coffee or else stick to a pod system.

Not pointing this at anyone in particular btw I just wanted to put it out there that rarely is it the espresso machines fault (unless it’s straight up a piece of crap obviously) but the barista express is not likely to blame here.

You’ll waste many a cup of coffee before you become consistent at pulling good shots that’s just part and parcel of learning. Same idea with learning to texture milk you’ll waste litres of the stuff practicing 😂

I did practical barista training last year for 4-5 weeks and I’ve never seen as much coffee and milk down the drain in my life! But by the end of it we were all pretty decent at making good coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I would like to agree but I have followed the advice on here, watched many a video tutorial and still not getting any consistency.

From reading reviews its all about 'once dialed in you will be set' Great. but making a half decent cup one day then absolutely nothing the next day - with zero changes and following the same procedure. That would lean me towards machine or a machine that is too sensitive for the general home user.

On Sunday I had the external grind set to 6, 18g of coffee and 36g pour. The cup was ok, maybe abit better than ok.

a day later I had to change the external grind setting to 10 just to get a pour going. the coffee produced wasn't great. To me moving from a 6 to 10 (regardless of what the intervals mean) is a massive discrepancy.

I am not giving up on the machine, mainly because it was a gift, but it feels like I have to dial it in every day. I have never once just made a cup without having to measure the grind, weigh and time the pour and repeat 5+ times every time. That to be just isn't sustainable / normal / acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi all,

I have an intermittent issue with the grinder. Every couple of days - it just stops working. Then I push the switch, there is no power to the grinder even though the grind lights are flashing. I have deep-cleaned the grinder on a number of occasions and also cleaned out the chute from the bottom up. It will kick back into life after a combination of a clean and resetting the power cycle (not sure which is fixing the issue)

Is there anything else I can try to fix it, as it is out of warranty 

Thanks in advance!

Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

How old is it ? I wonder if this is a motor issue. If it is worn out at some side and brushes couldn't reach it until you manually rotate it . If this the case motor would grind much slower, as brushes skipping some worn sections of the motor , and if you stop grinding and brushes "parks" at worn sections it won't start again until you manually rotate to the healthy section.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply. Just under 3 years old.

When it works - I haven't noticed much difference with the sound of the motor.

Very frustrating when things go wrong with this machine when out of warranty. Still waiting on a response from Sage and no where locally to repair. I have seen issues where people have replaced what called an actuator switch:

Not sure if that's the issue though as the grind lights are flashing

I would say brushes or motor worn. Maybe you lucky and motor just covered with grounds and couldn’t make proper contact. Have you cleaned motor itself ?

ps. Any handyman at electric repairs could fix it AFAIK. If you could find one. If you couldn’t repair just give yourself a treat and buy a new grinder .

Post edited by alec76 on

I've only cleaned the grinder - have taken the burrs apart and given it a proper clean as per instructions and a couple of YouTube vids... I didn't realise you could clean the motor itself?

Have thought about replacing the grinder with

Not available on this side of the world yet though

You obviously have to look at the motor first. Maybe you could reach commutators and brushes of the motor with the toothbrush without taking the motor apart ( if it is dirty)

https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/en/Eureka-Mignon-Zero-230V/m-5695.aspx

Here is the good single dose grinder available locally

• Advertisement

Thank again Alec76! It’s well known the grinder on the Barista Express isn’t great. Would be interesting to see what a grinder like that would affect my brew 😀

Have somebody lined up to open and take a look at the motor. Will give it a final go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

I have a Barista Express and picked up the Eureka Oro a few weeks back. Big difference in espresso quality with the Oro. No matter what I did with grinder on the Barista Express, espressos always had a really bitter after taste, which led me to believe that's just what espresso tastes like. I used to stick to milky coffees as a result. Espresso with the Eureka grinder and pulled on the BE are so much better, taste sweet and can actually tell what's in the roast. Mostly drink espressos since I got the grinder. I'll upgrade the machine eventually but happy with this set up for now.

Nice one 👍

Eurika Mignon Zero would be younger sibling of Oro ( smaller Burrs 55mm v 65 mm) but still very good grinder for this price . Basically it is Eureka Specialita factory modified to single dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hey Guys,

Has anyone purchased a different milk frothing jug from the one which comes with the express? I believe someone mentioned better jugs a while back and Id be interested to get one as a gift.

All working again - seems to have been just a case of cleaning the motor, The switch was fine. The motor and brushes were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I have a Sage Barista Express that I use sparely these days. I am too lazy to throw it up in adverts for now.

If anyone here based in Cork might be interested, drop me a PM with an offer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've had my Barista Express for nearly 3 years now, it's a great machine. I've done some modifications to mine recently, the biggest of which is installing a brass OPV valve. This enables me to reduce the maximum pressure the machine will pull espresso with to 9bar or there around. It's 15bar to begin with.

Now I'm one of those people who likes tinkering with things, and reading too much online. From me reading the stock pressure makes pulling clean shots more difficult and affects flavour. So I decided to tackle this modification mostly as a project for myself.

I found a shop in Ireland that had the parts I needed. I've ordered a few bits there and they are great:

The job itself was somewhat tricky. And the guides online weren't the best, but I got there in the end without any leaks. I'm not entirely convinced I could return the machine to stock after completing this. So it's definitely one for those with older machines that aren't in warranty.

The difference in my shots before and after are night and day. There was a massive improvement in flavour and less channelling issues, although I didn't think channelling was too big of an issue for me beforehand.

I had considered upgrading my machine, but this mod has quenched that urge for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well, my six year old barista express has started to give me a few problems, cant complain its been rock solid since we got it. Anyone know of a place to get it looked at/serviced (cork)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Anyone able to help a newbie with some settings for a bell lane dragonfly.

Have settings as 6inside and tried 8-3 on the outside and all taste very sour.

18g in around 36g out

Time of 20-35 secs.

Struggling to dial in any coffee 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

I have these beans too and just got the Machine last week. What grind settings have you got for the external and the internal burr one too. I have mine set at 2 internal and 9 external and getting 18g in and 24g out in the 35 seconds. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Those grinders not calibrated AFAIK , so different machine would have different settings for same beans. I would try to get 18g in and about 36g out in 25-30 sec range. Scales with integrated timer is a great help. There is always some play and some range you won’t get exact numbers every time.

I have the inner burr set at 2 and the external set at 10 now and still not getting the required amount out in the time

You have to be more adventurous, shifting burrs by one notch won't make a difference. You grinding too fine . Be prepared to bin few kilos of beans, it is part of the learning process

You could get couple kilos of these, good everyday espresso blend , easy to work with for the beginners.

ps.Once 1 kg opened ,take some beans, reseal it , squeeze it to remove any trapped air and keep it in the freezer.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well, I jst went ahead and replaced, it, in fact I think it was 8 years old. The problem with it, it actually works perfectly, but there appears to be a leak or steam getting into the workings, causing it to trip the rcb every now and again.

It is hard to get hold of someone to repair these, which is probably about the only complaint I have about sage machines.

Anyone good with repairing these interested in a very fixable machine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

has anyone got recommendations for a bottomless portafilter? Or even thoughts on them, worth it or just another gimmicky accessory?

It is not gimmick, helps you to understand brewing process and any grinding/distribution errors which leads to channeling.

If you want to study and learn espresso brewing then you need bottomless portafilter otherwise just waste of time and creates too much mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Significant birthday over the Christmas so wife treated me to new sage barista express to replace my old delongi magnifica which was battling away admirably giving 3 double espressos every day for the last 9 years. So far impressed with the new machine and the quality of coffee coming out, but then again I’d drink any old rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ours just out of the box. Refuses to build pressure. Did setup all fine. Only seen it reach pressure once. Ran water through it and there is what appears to be some grains coming out of it into a clean filter. Must be in boiler.

Not ideal. Straight back to the store. Filters installed clean water. But small bits of grain coming out each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Found this useful guide for anyone using the express. Good easy explanations.

Advertisement