Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-08-2020, 17:27   #1
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
Preferred brands for kitchen appliances

if you were buying a home, say, where you had to buy all of the kitchen appliances yourself (as opposed to a complete kitchen renovation where you can customize a lot more), are there particular brands you’d look for for certain appliances? Or features/functions that you’d want them to include?

Our current rental house has a Samsung fridge freezer and we’ve had loads of issues with it, so I know I’d stay away from that brand in the future for instance! But I love an American style fridge freezer, and I like the idea of a water/ice dispenser.
Advertisement
14-08-2020, 17:32   #2
Charlie19

I think it could be just down to luck sometimes, we have a Samsung American fridge and never had any issues. We also have a Samsung hob and oven and again no issues 11 years on.

I couldn't tell you the name of the washing machine and dishwasher as we're on our 2nd maybe third in the same time frame.
14-08-2020, 17:39   #3
harr

Had you asked a few year back I would have said Zanussi ...but I honestly don’t think the brand is what it used to be. Never had any issues for years with the older appliances.
New kitchen a few years back with everything new and again Went with the trusted Zanussi but unfortunately out of all the appliances the oven is only thing we haven’t a problem with. So many brands now being made by the one company and I don’t think brand name matters as much it used to.
Unless of course you are going to the very top end brands .. neff and the likes would want to top class for the price you will pay.
Thanks from:
14-08-2020, 18:00   #4
Seamai

New house 7 years ago, so had to buy everything, all Bosch appliances except the fridge freezer(not American) which is Samsung which is the only thing we've had problems with (twice).
If we were flush we would have possibly gone for Miele, have one of their hoovers and it's way better than a Dyson.
(2) thanks from:
14-08-2020, 18:04   #5
henryporter

Siemens for all but the Liebherr fridge for me. Great ovens and hobs!
Advertisement
14-08-2020, 19:59   #6
L1011

Bosch. Reliable, serviceable, good parts supply. Decent warranties of up to 10 years based on price.

Siemens is Bosch rebadged - used to be a joint venture but Bosch bought them out. Bosch Serie 6 is going to be as good as the Siemens if not better but without paying the name licence fee
15-08-2020, 10:27   #7
the beer revolu

I'd buy another Electrolux oven.
Thanks from:
15-08-2020, 21:27   #8
Dizzyblonde
Category Moderator

My washing machine, hob and dishwasher are Bosch and I'm very happy with them. I think this is my third Bosch washing machine. At the moment I have an Electrolux double oven (I had two Bellings before that) and I'm really happy with that too. I have a huge Fisher & Paykel fridge freezer the size of an American one, it's almost 13 years old and still perfect. It doesn't have the water/ice dispenser though. Something to bear in mind when buying a fridge/freezer is to make sure it's a frost free one because you never have to defrost the freezer, plus the fridge part never gets smelly. They're a bit noisier though.
15-08-2020, 21:42   #9
Markcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beer revolu View Post
I'd buy another Electrolux oven.
I've an electrolux gas hob,and it's brutal , I have to bang it to get the flame lit , and the metal pot stands crack ..
I have an ancient zanussi washing machine , 20 / 25 years old ,works perfectly ( looks rough out ) ,
Ancient Miele dishwasher , I miss my dishwasher ,ex-wife has it ..
And the cheapo philips hoover is way better than the corded dyson it replaced..( cordless dysons are handy but suction is poor and what a price )
Advertisement
15-08-2020, 21:46   #10
99nsr125

Nothing by Glen Dimplex, complete and utter shîte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith View Post
if you were buying a home, say, where you had to buy all of the kitchen appliances yourself (as opposed to a complete kitchen renovation where you can customize a lot more), are there particular brands you’d look for for certain appliances? Or features/functions that you’d want them to include?

Our current rental house has a Samsung fridge freezer and we’ve had loads of issues with it, so I know I’d stay away from that brand in the future for instance! But I love an American style fridge freezer, and I like the idea of a water/ice dispenser.
15-08-2020, 21:58   #11
odyssey06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcheese View Post
I've an electrolux gas hob,and it's brutal , I have to bang it to get the flame lit , and the metal pot stands crack ..
I have an ancient zanussi washing machine , 20 / 25 years old ,works perfectly ( looks rough out ) ,
Ancient Miele dishwasher , I miss my dishwasher ,ex-wife has it ..
And the cheapo philips hoover is way better than the corded dyson it replaced..( cordless dysons are handy but suction is poor and what a price )
Just watch out... what a brand was like 20 years ago can often bear no relation to its current quality.
(4) thanks from:
16-08-2020, 08:04   #12
phormium

Also a lot of brands are produced by the same overall company, can't remember the list now but I was thinking of buying a dryer lately and was given the list to avoid by a friend in a related business. Bosch definitely wasn't on it though as that is what I have decided on.
16-08-2020, 08:14   #13
theteal

Normally Bosch is the first place I'd look. Had a bit of a gamble on a Hisense washing machine which hasn't skipped a beat for 3 years now so we'll see how long that lives. I would go as far as to completely avoid Samsung (for everything, TVs included) and having spoken to a local repair guy, he says the same.
16-08-2020, 08:18   #14
Pkiernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith View Post

Instead of a combined fridge freezer, we put in a tall larder fridge and tall larder freezer side by side.
Both are Siemens, and were 1500 for the pair. Very happy with the look and the functionality. Much better than a single combined unit.

When it comes to appliances like dishwashers and washing machines, I place a significant value on how quiet they are.
16-08-2020, 10:43   #15
limnam

For the most part it doesn't matter too much anymore

A lot of them are just re brands of the other and for the most part the technology the same.

Like anything you might get unlucky and get a "Friday" one.

If you're getting a new kitchen some of the kitchen places have deals with some brands that you can get discounts on while buying the kitchen.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion