Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-06-2020, 10:00   #31
Bobblehats

I remember him the twat in the hat. Or was that jamiroquai
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 10:23   #32
blueser

Go on then OP. Enlighten us; what do you find funny?
27-06-2020, 13:38   #33
byronbay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueser View Post
Go on then OP. Enlighten us; what do you find funny?
Seinfeld stands head and shoulders above any other comedy show ever made! Needless to say, I also like Curb Your Enthusiasm.
27-06-2020, 13:45   #34
blueser

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronbay2 View Post
Seinfeld stands head and shoulders above any other comedy show ever made! Needless to say, I also like Curb Your Enthusiasm.
There you go, see. I find him as funny as a fire in an orphanage. Does that make him not funny? Only to me. Different strokes for different folks.
To me, Cooper was brilliant. His timing and delivery were bang on the money.
Thanks from:
27-06-2020, 14:08   #35
Potential-Monke

Quote:
I find him as funny as a fire in an orphanage.
I like that. That was funny. Unlike Seinfeld.

But to repeat what everyone else was saying, it's subjective. Tommy was actually a genuis wrapped in stupidity, and that was part of his charm. You either laughed at the stupidity, or the genius, or both. But not for everyone.

I've a fairly dark humour anyway, I find gallows humour to be one of the funniest (and a great coping mechanism imo). And I like comedians who push boundaries, especially now. It's not that I always laugh at the joke, but more at the reaction. I love seeing people react to stuff that would be offensive to a lot of people these days. "Clean" comedy can be good, but usually dry, and is limited.
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 14:10   #36
byronbay2

Quote:
There you go, see. I find him as funny as a fire in an orphanage. Does that make him not funny? Only to me. Different strokes for different folks.
To me, Cooper was brilliant. His timing and delivery were bang on the money.
Well, it seems, based on the replies here that you are absolutely right. I thought Cooper might have been perceived my many/most as objectively unfunny to a modern audience but it seems his brand of humour ("humour" to me) is still appreciated.
27-06-2020, 14:15   #37
super_furry

The special effects in Fritz Lang's Metropolis are not good.
Thanks from:
27-06-2020, 14:22   #38
bnt

I had honestly forgotten about Tommy Cooper until this thread. Whether he was considered funny or not is less important to me than whether he was memorable. There are bits by Morecambe & Wise, The Two Ronnies or Billy Connolly that are burned in to my brain, but nothing by Cooper, apparently.
27-06-2020, 14:22   #39
Strumms

I’d rather scoop my eyes out with a rusty spoon than be forced to watch Seinfeld. A DULL as dishwater comedian, desperate not to offend people. The type of fella who probably wakes up every morning having slept in his pullover and thinks... “hmm how can I make office workers amused today.”
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 14:24   #40
Homelander

Quote:
Well, it seems, based on the replies here that you are absolutely right. I thought Cooper might have been perceived my many/most as objectively unfunny to a modern audience but it seems his brand of humour ("humour" to me) is still appreciated.
Not a fan of stand up comedy in most cases, find most loud, obnoxious, and just...well, not funny. There are a few I like though, and I find I enjoy people who have a way with delivery and timing.

Tommy Cooper was one of those simple timing and delivery guys that made banal jokes really entertaining. Not one to have me laughing out loud but definitely would keep you amused. Easy watching, I suppose, and I think the nature of his work means it's aged well enough.
27-06-2020, 14:35   #41
ohnonotgmail

It takes a very skilled magician to get tricks wrong on purpose. he was also hilariously funny at the same time.
One of his jokes that has always been a favourite of mine:

I rang up the yoga studio and told them i was thinking of taking some classes. They said "are you flexible?". I said " i cant do tuesdays or thursdays"

Last edited by ohnonotgmail; 27-06-2020 at 14:57. Reason: do not dot
27-06-2020, 14:46   #42
byronbay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumms View Post
I’d rather scoop my eyes out with a rusty spoon than be forced to watch Seinfeld. A DULL as dishwater comedian, desperate not to offend people. The type of fella who probably wakes up every morning having slept in his pullover and thinks... “hmm how can I make office workers amused today.”
A noble calling, surely!
27-06-2020, 14:52   #43
GoatBoy74

Quote:
I've put up with this myth for a loooong time but now I have to speak out. It started (for me) in my early teens when there was a Tommy Cooper show on prime-time TV and, with only a couple of channels, I watched a few episodes. It was absolutely AWFUL! A bumbling buffoon, wearing a funny hat, getting card tricks (hilariously!) wrong and cracking a few terrible jokes. I knew he was popular at the time but it didn't bother me because most TV was terrible and I thought he appealed to an adult audience rather than me.

Fast forward 40 years and I am an adult now myself! I have seen Cooper every so often over the years and my opinion has never wavered: totally unfunny rubbish. Yet now, every few weeks it seems, there are TC retrospectives (and a movie!) with contemporaries and modern comedians falling over themselves to say what a genius he was and how hilarious his bumbling character was.

My question is: Am I wrong? Was he a genius? Or is there a giant conspiracy to fool the modern audience into thinking his act was hilarious? Surely, anyone watching him for 5 minutes could see that he was a total charlatan??

Are you wrong? Yes, yes you are.
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2020, 14:53   #44
GoatBoy74

Quote:
I've put up with this myth for a loooong time but now I have to speak out. It started (for me) in my early teens when there was a Tommy Cooper show on prime-time TV and, with only a couple of channels, I watched a few episodes. It was absolutely AWFUL! A bumbling buffoon, wearing a funny hat, getting card tricks (hilariously!) wrong and cracking a few terrible jokes. I knew he was popular at the time but it didn't bother me because most TV was terrible and I thought he appealed to an adult audience rather than me.

Fast forward 40 years and I am an adult now myself! I have seen Cooper every so often over the years and my opinion has never wavered: totally unfunny rubbish. Yet now, every few weeks it seems, there are TC retrospectives (and a movie!) with contemporaries and modern comedians falling over themselves to say what a genius he was and how hilarious his bumbling character was.

My question is: Am I wrong? Was he a genius? Or is there a giant conspiracy to fool the modern audience into thinking his act was hilarious? Surely, anyone watching him for 5 minutes could see that he was a total charlatan??
Yes, yes you are wrong.
Thanks from:
27-06-2020, 14:56   #45
blueser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelander View Post
Not a fan of stand up comedy in most cases, find most loud, obnoxious, and just...well, not funny. There are a few I like though, and I find I enjoy people who have a way with delivery and timing.

Tommy Cooper was one of those simple timing and delivery guys that made banal jokes really entertaining. Not one to have me laughing out loud but definitely would keep you amused. Easy watching, I suppose, and I think the nature of his work means it's aged well enough.
You've pretty much nailed it there. Cooper's jokes were not the funniest out there, not by a long way. You and I probably know better jokes than him, but could we deliver them like he did? I can't speak for you, but I know I couldn't. Cooper is miles ahead of likes of Tiernan, O'Carroll, Bishop, McIntyre etc etc.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion