Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-06-2020, 01:12   #1
byronbay2

Tommy Cooper was NOT funny

I've put up with this myth for a loooong time but now I have to speak out. It started (for me) in my early teens when there was a Tommy Cooper show on prime-time TV and, with only a couple of channels, I watched a few episodes. It was absolutely AWFUL! A bumbling buffoon, wearing a funny hat, getting card tricks (hilariously!) wrong and cracking a few terrible jokes. I knew he was popular at the time but it didn't bother me because most TV was terrible and I thought he appealed to an adult audience rather than me.

Fast forward 40 years and I am an adult now myself! I have seen Cooper every so often over the years and my opinion has never wavered: totally unfunny rubbish. Yet now, every few weeks it seems, there are TC retrospectives (and a movie!) with contemporaries and modern comedians falling over themselves to say what a genius he was and how hilarious his bumbling character was.

My question is: Am I wrong? Was he a genius? Or is there a giant conspiracy to fool the modern audience into thinking his act was hilarious? Surely, anyone watching him for 5 minutes could see that he was a total charlatan??
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 01:15   #3
Larbre34

It takes a lot of brains to appear that stupid.

That aside, you're wrong, his timing was absolutely excellent. I daresay its just because he came from another era entirely that you may not appreciate him.
27-06-2020, 01:19   #4
uch

Why would he want to fool a modern audience when he died 25 or so years ago? he was funny as fúck back then though
27-06-2020, 01:28   #5
Strumms

Guy was pretty original and his humor and wit was quite clever, he was quite a character and me laugh, bit different from the regular joke teller the way he incorporated magic, being fûcked up in that bumbling bafoonery style, yeah , liked him, he wasn’t ‘edgy’ but he was good, great in fact, rock on Tommy.
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 01:34   #6
fran38

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronbay2;113860728[B
]I've put up with this myth for a loooong time but now I have to speak out. [/B]It started (for me) in my early teens when there was a Tommy Cooper show on prime-time TV and, with only a couple of channels, I watched a few episodes. It was absolutely AWFUL! A bumbling buffoon, wearing a funny hat, getting card tricks (hilariously!) wrong and cracking a few terrible jokes. I knew he was popular at the time but it didn't bother me because most TV was terrible and I thought he appealed to an adult audience rather than me.

Fast forward 40 years and I am an adult now myself! I have seen Cooper every so often over the years and my opinion has never wavered: totally unfunny rubbish. Yet now, every few weeks it seems, there are TC retrospectives (and a movie!) with contemporaries and modern comedians falling over themselves to say what a genius he was and how hilarious his bumbling character was.

My question is: Am I wrong? Was he a genius? Or is there a giant conspiracy to fool the modern audience into thinking his act was hilarious? Surely, anyone watching him for 5 minutes could see that he was a total charlatan??
So sorry for your troubles
27-06-2020, 01:34   #7
Riddle101

I've never watched Tommy Cooper but it seems to me that a lot of comedy acts could be attributed to a certain generation of fans. I think my grandfather liked Tommy Cooper, and he would also have been into the likes of Laurel and Hardy and The Two Ronnies yet you'd probably wouldn't see a lot of fans of those comedy acts nowadays. On the other hand, he probably wouldn't have been into a lot of the modern comedians today, he was very old fashioned.
(3) thanks from:
27-06-2020, 01:40   #8
whisky_galore

Funny that, how 40 year old comedy routines don't stand up to 21st century scrutiny. Also what people find funny is subjective.
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 01:46   #10
JupiterKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
Funny that, how 40 year old comedy routines don't stand up to 21st century scrutiny. Also what people find funny is subjective.

This is it in a nutshell.

Comedy is highly subjective - what one person finds side-splittingly hilarious another will see it as just...meh. Tommy Cooper was a bit before my time - he keeled over and died on the spot on stage when I was about 8 or 9. I remember at the time that he died and how he died but not the man as a regular fixture on the telly.
27-06-2020, 01:50   #11
JohnFalstaff

"I sleep like a baby. Every morning I wake up screaming around 2 o’clock."

One of my favourite Tommy Cooper jokes. The man never tried to be one of those comedians who provided social commentary, which makes much of his material timeless. The only time he died onstage was the time he actually died onstage. Which is also hilarious - the final punchline.
27-06-2020, 01:55   #12
StupidLikeAFox

Jus'li'da
27-06-2020, 01:56   #13
Itssoeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronbay2 View Post
I've put up with this myth for a loooong time but now I have to speak out. It started (for me) in my early teens when there was a Tommy Cooper show on prime-time TV and, with only a couple of channels, I watched a few episodes. It was absolutely AWFUL! A bumbling buffoon, wearing a funny hat, getting card tricks (hilariously!) wrong and cracking a few terrible jokes. I knew he was popular at the time but it didn't bother me because most TV was terrible and I thought he appealed to an adult audience rather than me.

Answers to your questions
1.yes you are
2. Yes he was a genuis.
3. No talent isn't generational.
4. Charlatan ? Not even remotely. How many comedians today have the audience laughing before even say one word ?
27-06-2020, 01:59   #14
byronbay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
They weren't funny 40 years ago!
Thanks from:
27-06-2020, 02:11   #15
ShatterAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronbay2 View Post

It's fine that you don't get his situation comedy

Facial expressions, foolishness. A lot do and enjoy his clumsiness. And cheesiness.

I can't stand anything "Monty Python"...I just dont get it. To me, it is not funny AT ALL.

So I suppose it's about taste.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion