Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-06-2020, 12:19   #16
antimatterx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than Christ View Post
When we ran out of logs, we'd burn bundles of fifty euro notes instead. Seems wasteful now, but they were different times.
Can that still be used as legal tender?
Advertisement
17-06-2020, 12:21   #17
whisky_galore

Ghost estate stories?
Thanks from:
17-06-2020, 12:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montage of Feck View Post
We've drank the "easy" credit Kool-Aid and there no going back now! We are just as worse now.
Credit is doled out just as easily now for everything bar houses. I used the AIB app a while back just to see how much repayments would be if I were to add another grand to my loan, a day later they call me up saying they noticed I was looking for a loan top up on the app and were wondering if I was still interested in following through
17-06-2020, 12:21   #19
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by double jobbing View Post
Old cars disappeared off the streets almost overnight when the scrappage bonus came around 2000. Up to 2009 you essentially never saw a car older than 2000 yet today half the cars on the road seem to be 15 years plus old.
Cars are so incredibly better built since the early 00s which is the main factor there.

In 2000, a 1985 car would be rusting to bits and failing constantly and also have basically no features at all. Plenty of 2005 cars are still going strong now and still have a decent bit of modern comforts (aircon, power steering etc).
17-06-2020, 12:22   #20
NIMAN

The boom meant little to me, I had a property in Donegal and had considered upgrading, kinda glad I didn't.

Didn't make or lose anything.

Anyway, one thing I do remember from the time was being in Balbriggan around 06 or so in a Supervalu I think, and seeing a bottled water with a crystal or something round the neck of it for €50.
Advertisement
17-06-2020, 12:23   #21
El_Duderino 09

There have been some great threads a out Celtic Tiger stories.

Some real classics like a bloke going to cinema on his own buying 3 seats so he'd have free seats beside him.

Or my favourite was a lass who said his uncle gave him €50 to mind her counsins while the uncle went to the toilet.

Some people just don't know what to do with money except spend it right now.
(3) thanks from:
17-06-2020, 12:25   #23
Capt. Autumn

The years from 2003-2007 were surreal.
There seemed to be so much money sloshing about , huge money being made and not just by white collar workers.

This was reflected in many of the uber-swish establishments that were opening all over town. HQ on Abbey Street was table service only when it opened, seemed to make sense at the time. It was soon more of a sawdust on the floor type of venue until post the bust, it was no more.

It seemed all the ballsy guys were buying and flipping property, further inflating the bubble, but nobody cared once they had their snouts in the trough and were making easy money. Suddenly buying property off the plan in places like Poland and Bulgaria was all the go. Nobody, it seemed, stopped to ask themselves what the average wage was in these places, rather using our own vastly inflated house prices as a yardstick as to what was good value.

The day the penny really dropped for me was when my wife took a call from her bank manager when we were doing our weekly supermarket shop. 'What was it she wanted?' the moneyman intoned, 'A new car, house extension or a holiday...' He had reviewed her bank accounts and arrived at the conclusion that she was under-borrowed. I wasn't aware that such a term existed. Things were obviously barmy.

You know the last thing an engine does before it explodes? It overheats.
17-06-2020, 12:26   #24
antimatterx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
IM GOING TO BUY A HOUSE AND RENT IT OUT AND USE THE RENT TO BUY ANOTHER HOUSE AND RENT THAT OUT AND USE THAT RENT TO BUY ANOTHER HOUSE AND RENT IT OUT
That worked for my dad, although it ****ed my uncle.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-06-2020, 12:27   #25
Trigger Happy

I had a decent job with a decent salary during those years. Sold and apartment before the crash too which set me up for buying a house post boom.
But dont remember going particularly mad apart from a first class trip to Fiji via london, Los Angeles and Auckland.
Thanks from:
17-06-2020, 12:39   #26
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Did the LC in 2003, did a couple of years in college, then worked in Centra for 2006 and so was on just over minimum wage for a year when most of my friends were coining it on building sites. Like a few previous posters, for those lads it was all weekends away, nice cars, out for pints and falling out of nightclubs 4 nights a week. I got a job in the Civil Service at the start of '07 and while it was a bit of a pay rise which I was delighted with (we're talking maybe 40 euro a week here), most of them would have laughed at what I was earning. It was literally a fraction.

2 or 3 years later and they're all saying what a lucky so and so I am in my big, permanent job.
17-06-2020, 12:42   #27
road_high

I think there was a lot of "there must be something wrong with you" if you're not taking home 2 grand a week...
For the majority of us not in construction or conspicious type spending that's how it was/is.
If you're lucky enough to earn a decent salary now you're rode senseless with taxes anyway
(2) thanks from:
17-06-2020, 12:45   #29
davo2001

First day of college in 2002/2003, rep from AIB walks up to me on campus and says I can get a loan of €10,000 if i want. Said i'd no saving and didn't have a job to pay it back.

"no problem she says"

Thank Christ i didn't take it, although i was very tempted.

Madness altogether!
17-06-2020, 12:45   #30
NIMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
IM GOING TO BUY A HOUSE AND RENT IT OUT AND USE THE RENT TO BUY ANOTHER HOUSE AND RENT THAT OUT AND USE THAT RENT TO BUY ANOTHER HOUSE AND RENT IT OUT
Are you a taxi driver?

Think I heard a taxi driver on liveline many moons back who was a million in debt cos he did something like that before the crash.

Also remember a prime time or similar show on rte during the financial crisis when a single woman in the audience said she bought a property on her own and got a mortgage 13x her salary.

Last edited by NIMAN; 17-06-2020 at 12:48.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion