Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-06-2020, 01:37   #16
wonski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Mountain View Post
It sounds like you've built up resentment already so it won't end good.
Just alter your plans for a while and he'll stop expecting.
Leave earlier or later a few times. Go shopping after work etc.
Anyhow with CoVid now you have the ultimate excuse to get him off your back. Tell him you don't feel comfortable not abiding by the 2m rule.
These arrangements get messy, not just the financial aspect of it.
There's the insurance issue for starters.
There's also the feeling of being tied to his routine and not being able to do your own thing of you want to make plans.
There is no insurance issue for starters, even if you do get money back for petrol etc, unless your insurance does not allow you to commute.

There are however people out there who will never get you even a bottle of wine once a year after you give them a lift for a year.

One of those I guess since the op brought the issue up.

COVID 19 is your friend this year. Perfect excuse

It's nice to be nice. Some will take advantage for years if they can, though.
wonski is offline  
Advertisement
11-06-2020, 01:39   #17
Sam Quentin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,875
Familiarity Breeds Contempt.
Remember that and::in general/in life and stress, annoyance, empathy, sympathy even slight anxiety will all become minimal and manageable.....
Not everyone is as decent as yourself,.and he may or may not offer you some kind appreciation for your kind service..if he was like me I'd demand become even annoying that u take some petrol/diesel money from me... But as I said not everyone is like yourself and meself.. you will create an awful terrible atmosphere if you ask,and you'll only annoy yourself,.so be patient and see what happens.
Ps: it's a life lesson.
Sam Quentin is offline  
(2) thanks from:
11-06-2020, 01:40   #18
Strumms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by nails1 View Post
The thing is he has saved nearly 500 euro travel expenses in the 4 months I’ve been collecting him. While im trying to put money aside to keep car on the road. I’ve told him about me struggling to keep car running and never offered. I could be too anxious or too proud to ask him for money but sometimes I think he taking me for granted. Considering just not picking him up anymore he should be the one offering not be asking for money.
Ok, yeah can see where you are coming from. 4 months would be in the region of 88 working days. 176 journeys there and back. Hasn’t cost you ‘extra’ but it wouldn’t have cost him much to wise up and actually ‘show’ appreciation by offering petrol money. Might be naivety which is the most likely scenario but if he’s just a scabby unappreciative fückwit that will manifest itself eventually in other aspects of his behavior.. long term you could claim you need to drop a family member to work so therefore won’t be passing. See how it pans out.
Strumms is online now  
(4) thanks from:
11-06-2020, 01:40   #19
Junkyard Tom
Registered User
 
Junkyard Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by nails1 View Post
4 months I’ve been collecting him ... never offered.
He's making a fool out of you.
Junkyard Tom is offline  
11-06-2020, 01:41   #20
dresden8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,210
"Giving lift"

"Taxi service"

Two different things.

It's not his problem. It's yours. You set the rules.
dresden8 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-06-2020, 01:43   #21
Purple Mountain
Registered User
 
Purple Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonski View Post
There is no insurance issue for starters, even if you do get money back for petrol etc, unless your insurance does not allow you to commute.

There are however people out there who will never get you even a bottle of wine once a year after you give them a lift for a year.

One of those I guess since the op brought the issue up.

COVID 19 is your friend this year. Perfect excuse

It's nice to be nice. Some will take advantage for years if they can, though.
Insurance in the sense that he's in the car for 10 journeys a week so if the OP has a crash on one of those journeys, there's a higher risk of a 3rd party claimant as opposed to if he drove to work alone.
Purple Mountain is offline  
(5) thanks from:
11-06-2020, 01:44   #22
bb1234567
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,654
You can't really ask him for money. I think you should just stop giving him lifts and leave it at that.
bb1234567 is offline  
11-06-2020, 01:53   #23
wonski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1234567 View Post
You can't really ask him for money. I think you should just stop giving him lifts and leave it at that.
You can. Many people are too soft. Just suggest sharing the petrol cost, no matter how small and see if he/she bites.

Nothing wrong with it. I know of few people who work in my place bragging how they saved moving here or there because it's cheaper, yet having no ways to get to work, completely relying on others giving them lifts.

They are there 10 years+ and on similar income.

Took me 3 years to figure them out.

Few of them also having a quick cig before getting into their "taxi". Had few guys I had to wait for as they were never ready.

They now are using someone else.

Few people at work I would drive anywhere if they are in struggle, car broken down etc and would never expect or ask a penny from them, others I am blind to now.

Easier to figure them out if you work somewhere 10 years and more, I admit
wonski is offline  
11-06-2020, 01:56   #24
Strazdas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1234567 View Post
You can't really ask him for money. I think you should just stop giving him lifts and leave it at that.
I've never heard of people charging to give lifts, so your solution seems sensible.
Strazdas is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-06-2020, 01:56   #25
dresden8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonski View Post
You can. Many people are too soft. Just suggest sharing the petrol cost, no matter how small and see if he/she bites.

Nothing wrong with it. I know of few people who work in my place bragging how they saved moving here or there because it's cheaper, yet having no ways to get to work, completely relying on others giving them lifts.

They are there 10 years+ and on similar income.

Took me 3 years to figure them out.

Few of them also having a quick cig before getting into their "taxi". Had few guys I had to wait for as they were never ready.

They now are using someone else.

Few people at work I would drive anywhere if they are in struggle, car broken down etc and would never expect or ask a penny from them, others I am blind to now.

Easier to figure them out if you work somewhere 10 years and more, I admit
Harsher than I would have put it but some people are selfish bastards.

A simple 50:550 petrol arrangement up front would have sorted it. But you didn't. And are wondering why it didn't happen organically..

Hint: Because it didn't suit.
dresden8 is offline  
Thanks from:
11-06-2020, 01:58   #26
BorneTobyWilde
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24,306
You'll end up like this



BorneTobyWilde is online now  
11-06-2020, 02:00   #27
s1ippy
Registered User
 
s1ippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 996
Just waiting for the thread entitled

"Colleague suddenly stopped giving me a lift"
s1ippy is offline  
12-06-2020, 00:14   #28
ChikiChiki
Registered User
 
ChikiChiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,904
Sure you are going that way anyway. You would still have the same expenses and time travelling even if this colleague didn't exist. I am not understanding how this is troubling you

Just seems like a small bit easier to keep giving a lift rather than risking any sort of unneccessary rift.
ChikiChiki is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2020, 00:16   #29
Purple Mountain
Registered User
 
Purple Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikiChiki View Post
Sure you are going that way anyway. You would still have the same expenses and time travelling even if this colleague didn't exist. I am not understanding how this is troubling you

Just seems like a small bit easier to keep giving a lift rather than risking any sort of unneccessary rift.
It's a matter of principle.
Purple Mountain is offline  
12-06-2020, 00:19   #30
ChikiChiki
Registered User
 
ChikiChiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Mountain View Post
It's a matter of principle.
Actually, I have thought it out a bit more in the last few minutes and you are right.

Definitely this colleague should be offering to pay partial fuel costs at the minimum or giving the OP a few bob a week.
ChikiChiki is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet