Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-06-2020, 01:03   #1
nails1

Asking work colleague for money for giving lift to work

Is it acceptable to ask a colleague for cash for picking him up and giving lift to work. His house is on my direct route to work so I’m not going out of way or spending extra cash to give him a lift in and dropping him home.
Advertisement
11-06-2020, 01:08   #4
kippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicFool View Post
If I was you I wouldn't bother asking. Good deed and all that. Hopefully he would give you a few quid on his own or buy a gift etc etc.
Yes. One would hope that they would recognise your kindness and give a little back at some point.
If not and you feel your like to get some compensation, I would start to drop subtle hints and if nothing forthcoming after a period of time slowly make it more awkward.
Each to their own though. Personally I'd not expect or ask for anything if it were on my route anyway and didn't cause me any major hassle, but I would understand other points of view on it.
11-06-2020, 01:09   #5
punisher5112

Suggest you take turns....

You drive some days they the other...
Advertisement
11-06-2020, 01:12   #6
jaffa20

Make a few pit stops for petrol now and again. They might pay for it.
11-06-2020, 01:14   #7
Strumms

I wouldn’t personally, it’s a good deed, generous for sure but... it’s not out of your way and not costing you extra to do it. On the other hand, if I’m the recipient of such a kind offer I’d be throwing you or looking to throw you a score every say week or two weeks as a gesture of thanks and appreciation, bit of petrol money as a gesture of thanks.

It’s not a given that your mate though is unappreciative, just might feel ‘socially awkward’ about doing it. I wouldn’t let it bother you, you are helping somebody who is probably (one would hope) quite thankful, but is maybe shy about showing it...
11-06-2020, 01:22   #9
nails1

The thing is he has saved nearly 500 euro travel expenses in the 4 months I’ve been collecting him. While im trying to put money aside to keep car on the road. I’ve told him about me struggling to keep car running and never offered. I could be too anxious or too proud to ask him for money but sometimes I think he taking me for granted. Considering just not picking him up anymore he should be the one offering not be asking for money.
Advertisement
11-06-2020, 01:27   #10
Purple Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nails1 View Post
The thing is he has saved nearly 500 euro travel expenses in the 4 months I’ve been collecting him. While im trying to put money aside to keep car on the road. I’ve told him about me struggling to keep car running and never offered. I could be too anxious or too proud to ask him for money but sometimes I think he taking me for granted. Considering just not picking him up anymore he should be the one offering not be asking for money.
It sounds like you've built up resentment already so it won't end good.
Just alter your plans for a while and he'll stop expecting.
Leave earlier or later a few times. Go shopping after work etc.
Anyhow with CoVid now you have the ultimate excuse to get him off your back. Tell him you don't feel comfortable not abiding by the 2m rule.
These arrangements get messy, not just the financial aspect of it.
There's the insurance issue for starters.
There's also the feeling of being tied to his routine and not being able to do your own thing of you want to make plans.
11-06-2020, 01:28   #11
snoopsheep

its a tough one

id never ask

but id think very little of someone that would sit there taking up weight and saving money that wouldnt think to throw you a few quid for petrol every week
11-06-2020, 01:30   #12
Purple Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopsheep View Post
its a tough one

id never ask

but id think very little of someone that would sit there taking up weight and saving money that wouldnt think to throw you a few quid for petrol every week
Yea, it'd be different if it was happening occasionally or for a defined period say while his car was off road etc but 4 months of constant lifts while he has the option of public transport is taking advantage.
11-06-2020, 01:31   #13
CQD

Yeah, if you've an issue you should have used the covid as an excuse..
11-06-2020, 01:33   #14

Quote:
Is it acceptable to ask a colleague for cash for picking him up and giving lift to work. His house is on my direct route to work so I’m not going out of way or spending extra cash to give him a lift in and dropping him home.
I’d rather not give the person a lift than ask for money! Tbh it’s up to that person to make their way into work , If they don’t have transport of their own and someone was Constantly dropping them in then they really should be looking after that person whether it’s money or lunch etc
11-06-2020, 01:34   #15
F1ngers

Quote:
While im trying to put money aside to keep car on the road.
You'd still have that problem if you stopped giving him a lift.

Don't just not pick him up, let him know so he can make alternate arrangements.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion