Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-06-2020, 15:16   #1
Boards.ie: Mark
Boards.ie Employee

Support Alone and be in with a chance to win a unique watch

https://www.gofundme.com/f/supportin...h-solas-solace
https://www.solaswatches.com

"An bhfuil tusa ag labhairt liomsa?" (Are you talking to me?) - asks a lonely Yu Ming to Patrick Kavanagh back in 2003...

My name is Diyu (Daniel) Wu, some people might know me as the actor who played the character in "Yu Ming is Ainm Dom" - well, seeing as we're undergoing some pretty lonely times right now, I have (with the full support of Alone) set up a GoFundMe hoping to raise funds for Alone who are doing exceedingly important work with elderly people who may be living alone during the pandemic.

If you need help from Alone please visit their website www.alone.ie or ring their national helpline 0818 222 024.

Please see below for a summary of some of the valuable work they have done within Irish communities over the last while in relation to COVID-19 support:

It's not just a donation to charity though - you will have the chance to win a unique version of an Irish brand watch (designed by myself and valued at €499) called the Sólás Starlight (eagrán bradán feasa - the salmon of knowledge edition). It's something that I've been working on for a few years now and I've made a unique one to be put into a prize draw. To be in with a chance to win all you need to do is donate at least €10 on the page and after the campaign ends on 1 August I'll pick out a lucky winner and contact them to deliver the watch by around mid-August 2020.

The GoFundMe page has more details of the watch itself or you can visit the brand's homepage at www.solaswatches.com for more details of the standard and unique version of the Sólás Starlight and why I think it is worth at least €499.

Please share this with anyone who may be interested in supporting Alone (or even if they would just like the chance to win an Irish watch &#128513.

Stay safe everyone and together we will come out stronger after this.

Go raibh míle maith agaibh go léir! 😄

For those interested in the watch here are some pictures of the model you could win through your donation:
The movement (which is an mechanical automatic micro-rotor with upgraded decoration):

The dial (using a special stone/glass material called aventurine which shimmers like starlight):

The full grain leather strap will be made in Ireland by Turas Leather in Wicklow – with salmon leather top and Italian leather backing (hence the name of eagrán bradán feasa – salmon of knowledge):

And finally – an all-around video of the standard version without the special upgrades that the unique Starlight model will have:
Attached Images
File Type: png alone-covid-response.png (218.0 KB, 2813 views)
File Type: png micro-rotor.png (498.4 KB, 2795 views)
File Type: png solas.png (215.4 KB, 2787 views)
File Type: png watch-strap.png (400.1 KB, 2782 views)
Advertisement
04-06-2020, 15:49   #2
banie01

Delighted to see this project make its way outside the watches and timepieces subforum.

I've been following this from the getgo, I've donated to the fundraiser already.

This is quite a lovely convergence of homonym really.
Sólás and solace.
Solace which is something Alone provide in spades to those that need their help.

I'd love to see this fundraiser blow past its target, and this unique version on the wrist of a lucky boardsie!
04-06-2020, 16:20   #3
This is it

Fantastic cause and a fantastic watch. Best of luck with everything, I've donated already and look forward to the draw!
(3) thanks from:
04-06-2020, 19:40   #4
Cienciano

Very nice watch, I've entered.
Thanks from:
04-06-2020, 19:51   #5
MAJJ

Great cause, beautiful watch and very nice person who is behind Solas and the donation.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-06-2020, 20:17   #6
893bet

There are no downsides to a little donation here! A chance to win and charity benefits.
(2) thanks from:
05-06-2020, 02:11   #7
SmartinMartin

Donated there. Good job Diyu.
05-06-2020, 03:26   #8
fineso.mom

Will donate tomorrow, delighted to see this as I've followed your thread from the start. I really admire your dedication and determination to see your vision through to the end. And I found the whole process so interesting, thank you for sharing it.
05-06-2020, 09:34   #9
Collie D

Nice watch, nice idea. Fair play, OP. Donation made
Advertisement
05-06-2020, 12:00   #10
fineso.mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineso.mom View Post
Will donate tomorrow, delighted to see this as I've followed your thread from the start. I really admire your dedication and determination to see your vision through to the end. And I found the whole process so interesting, thank you for sharing it.
Just donated, glad to help but also really love that watch. I'd happily wear it, even though I'm not sure if 50yr old women are your target market ðŸ˜.
(2) thanks from:
05-06-2020, 15:20   #11
flazio

Lovely cause and a donation has been made.
Great to see the €500 target surpassed and hopefully you'll get well into 4 figure sums for this.
Thanks from:
06-06-2020, 15:50   #12
This is it

Alone Ireland promoting the draw. Well done Thirdfox, already in excess of €1,000. You should be proud

https://www.facebook.com/18927093370...8518894873707/
(2) thanks from:
07-06-2020, 00:57   #13
Thirdfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineso.mom View Post
Just donated, glad to help but also really love that watch. I'd happily wear it, even though I'm not sure if 50yr old women are your target market ðŸ˜.
Hi Fineso, it's Diyu here - I think that anyone who might appreciate an Irish watch which glimmers I would be chuffed for them to want to wear it - if you think you might enjoy wearing the watch then don't let anyone else dissuade you - plus 38mm is a size that many ladies wear nowadays.

Thanks for the contribution and good luck with the draw!

Last edited by Thirdfox; 07-06-2020 at 15:20.
(2) thanks from:
07-06-2020, 14:46   #14
PieOhMy

Donated and well done for organising this! It's a great cause.
Thanks from:
09-06-2020, 20:11   #15
Joaquin223

Great cause, donated!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size