Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-04-2020, 18:20   #46
EmmetSpiceland

Just finished ‘King Goshawk and the Birds’ by Eimar O’Duffy. A very funny, satirical, book.

If you’re one of those who can’t handle any “criticism”, or jokes, of all things Irish steer clear. An excellent read.

Going to start ‘American Gods’ by Neil Gaiman next, on the recommendation of an esteemed “contributor“ to this very thread, no less. The fact it’s not set during World War 2, in a concentration camp or some godawful drivel set in “Roman times“ already stands to it.
Advertisement
22-04-2020, 18:30   #47
mikhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetSpiceland View Post
Going to start ‘American Gods’ by Neil Gaiman next, on the recommendation of an esteemed “contributor“ to this very thread, no less. The fact it’s not set during World War 2, in a concentration camp or some godawful drivel set in “Roman times“ already stands to it.
It's a good read, though I liked Anansi Boys better.
Thanks from:
23-04-2020, 10:56   #48
mustang shelly

Survival in Auschwitz: If This Is A Man by Primo Levi.

Again another text recommended by the Auschwitz Memorial. It wasn't great to be honest, so far out of the recommended readings, I've only enjoyed Night by Elie Wiesel.
Thanks from:
23-04-2020, 22:29   #49
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
Reading 'Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans Von Luck

A fantastic read. Col Von Luck fought in just about every theater of war in Europe and north Africa, then fought the invading allied forces on D.Day.. Commanded German forces at Pegasus Bridge and many years after WWII while lecturing college students on WWII he met his opposite number, the commander of British forces fighting him at the bridge, they immediately struck up a friendship which was to last to their dying days.

The both describe each other as best friends.

It some bloody read.

A thank you now.. A few months back I was undecided on getting a Kindle and a few gave me good advice, I got one and have loved it since. But right now its been a God send, during CV-19 I'm devouring books on it, thank you.
23-04-2020, 22:36   #50
JustAThought

Re-reading one of my favourite books:
The Boys of Everest by Clint Willis.

All true Tales of climbing & feats of madness and daring over the past century - amazingly written and now with the internet you can google the places they talk about and see them and look them up on youtube documentaries - great way to kill a covid 19 week or two and a really un-put-downable read that keeps you clenched on the edge of the couch.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-04-2020, 10:18   #51
megaten

Started The Encahted April by Elizabeth von Arnim. Only on chapter three but it seems fun.
Thanks from:
24-04-2020, 10:32   #52
Joe_ Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
Re-reading one of my favourite books:
The Boys of Everest by Clint Willis.

All true Tales of climbing & feats of madness and daring over the past century - amazingly written and now with the internet you can google the places they talk about and see them and look them up on youtube documentaries - great way to kill a covid 19 week or two and a really un-put-downable read that keeps you clenched on the edge of the couch.
Nice one. Love the Everest books. Into the Silence and Into Thin Air two other excellent sources on the subject.
24-04-2020, 19:14   #53
Lisha

Just finished Normal people by Sally Rooney, saw loads of praise in twitter. It just made me sad to be honest. Too many self destructive people. But I’m very sad today so many I’m
Judging it wrong/harshly.
28-04-2020, 11:03   #54
mustang shelly

I finished The Devil's Elixir by Raymond Khoury, which was book three in the Sean Reilly series.

I didn't particularly enjoy this offering due to it a). being fiction written in the first person and b). it wasn't a great story and didn't really have that historical aspect that the first two novels had.

I'm not looking forward to the fourth book as that is also written in the first person.
Advertisement
28-04-2020, 12:05   #55
Joe_ Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisha View Post
Just finished Normal people by Sally Rooney, saw loads of praise in twitter. It just made me sad to be honest. Too many self destructive people. But I’m very sad today so many I’m
Judging it wrong/harshly.
Incredible unfathomable hype. Just dont get it at all with this novel.
28-04-2020, 22:46   #56
appledrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutenberg View Post
Getting through Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel in anticipation of the new one. Read Wolf Hall last week. I'd forgotten how good they are, and I recall liking Bring Up the Bodies even more than Wolf Hall when I read it first, so let's see if it stands up to that...
Just finished the new book by Hilary 'The Mirror & The Light'.

I have to say I'm disappointed compared to other two books. Very good at times but at other times I felt it was just repeating same old council meetings etc over + over again.

Anyway, let me know what you think when you get around to it.
Thanks from:
29-04-2020, 21:45   #57

Dune Messiah.

It's book 2 in the Dune series by Frank Herbert

What is it about? It's got to do with worms.

Would I recommend it. Absolutely!
Thanks from:
30-04-2020, 11:55   #58
mikhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeYouth View Post
Dune Messiah.

It's book 2 in the Dune series by Frank Herbert

What is it about? It's got to do with worms.

Would I recommend it. Absolutely!
I think I actually like it slightly better than Dune. Where Dune is a hero's journey, Dune Messiah is a tragedy. There's more meat to it.
Thanks from:
30-04-2020, 13:16   #59
The Tetrarch

Baffert, Dirt Road to the Derby (1999)
Bob Baffert is an American horse trainer.

Kentucky Derby 1996
Coming to the three-eights pole, I see that he is moving well. and we're all starting to get excited. Turning for home, I say to myself, "He's gonna hit the board." Now I'm really getting excited. He's gonna run third or fourth. This is great. Then, Unbridled's Song begins to drift out to the middle of the track, and Cavonnier starts moving - fourth, third, second. All of a sudden, he takes the lead at the eight pole. I was not prepared mentally for that. You think you are, but when it really happens, you realize you're not. Again I'm going, "Oh my God! I can't believe this." And we just explode in the box. My whole life is now flashing before my eyes. I'm pleading with God to give it to me. I'm promising to go to church every day. You just can't describe the feeling. It's like an out of body experience.
I look back to see what's happening, and there's one horse coming at us. I check where the wire is. I'm thinking, "Come on, get there already." When I look back, I see that it's the Overbrook colors, so I know it's a good one. He's coming and coming, and I can tell that Chris doesn't see him. But he never stops riding Cavonnier, When they hit the wire together, I was at a bad angle, and Grindstone was so far out in the middle of the track.
[Grindstone beat Cavonnier a nose].
30-04-2020, 13:26   #60
1huge1

1:Title of Book
American Dirt

2:Author
Jeanine Cummins

3:whats its about
Journey of two Mexican migrants (A mother and Son) as they travel across Mexico to try and illegally enter the United States after their whole family was murdered by the cartel in their home city.

4:Would ya recommend it.
Just onto the second last chapter, I would absolutely recommend it, the characters are gripping.

The only reason I heard about this book in the first place was due to the controversy it caused after it was released.
Essentially, because the author had never experienced what she was writing about, nor was she from a Latin American background, made her a target from the twitter mob. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, which made me want to support the writer and read the book all the more. I'm glad that I did.

Last edited by 1huge1; 30-04-2020 at 13:36.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion