Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-03-2020, 10:21   #16
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
'The Life Of Riley' by Anthony Cronin. A tragi-comedy about an unrepentent chancer's descent into drink-fuelled oblivion. Highly recommended for sparkling turn of phrase.
Have you ever read ‘No Time for Work’ by George Ryan, B? Well worth a look if you haven’t.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-03-2020, 10:34   #17
Tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchXStanton View Post
Can anyone recommend a good Terry Pratchett book? I'm here putting in an amazon book order
A, Just finished my ( 3rd or 4th !!) re-read of all the discworld books, and I also loved the Night Watch and Death books.

However, as a stand-alone book, I found "Small Gods" one of his best.

On a similar seam of writing, I am in the middle of reading Walter Moers Zamonia series of books. Buy the actual books, not kindle, as the illustrations within are essential to the stories.

Moers is ( almost) up there with Pratchett for inventiveness, fun and sheer craziness.

enjoy

Last edited by Tigerbaby; 29-03-2020 at 11:16.
(2) thanks from:
29-03-2020, 12:53   #18
eviltwin

Reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. It's a great book but I think I need something a bit lighthearted at the moment. Nothing too heavy. Someone recommended David Sedaris, anyone familiar with his work?
Thanks from:
29-03-2020, 16:22   #19
mustang shelly

I finished I Know A Secret today by Tess Gerritsen and thus the Rizzoli & Isles series. I quite enjoyed it and a bit sad that this is the end for the crime fighting duo.
03-04-2020, 16:38   #20
EmmetSpiceland

‘The Planets’ by Dava Sobel.

A nice little read, gives a little history, mythology and social/cultural “background” of the solar system.

Don’t expect a “hard” science textbook or, if you’re a Sobel fan, maybe don’t expect the same “impact” as ‘Longitude’ but it’s still enjoyable.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-04-2020, 16:54   #21
ablelocks

Night Boat to Tangier, Kevin Barry.

not quite City of Bohane, but really good
03-04-2020, 18:46   #22
Nigel Fairservice

I'm reading State by State: A Panoramic Portrait of America. It's an interesting anthology piece where authors talk about their impressions of one of the 50 US states, try to give us a sense of place and give context to what each state means to them on a personal level. It's a mixed bag with some contributors doing it better than others. There's some nice contributions from Rick Moody and Dave Eggers.

Last edited by Nigel Fairservice; 04-04-2020 at 02:47.
03-04-2020, 22:26   #23
mikhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fairservice View Post
I'm reading State by State: A Panoramic Portrait of America. It's an interesting anthology piece where authors talk bout their impressions of one of the 50 US states, try to give us a sense of place and give context to what each state means to them on a personal level. It's a mixed bag with some contributors doing it better than others. There's some nice contributions from Rick Moody and Dave Eggers.
Eggers has a interesting autobiography called A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. He lost both parents to cancer and wound up a twenty-something-year-old guardian of his little brother, 13 years his junior. It was a finalist for the Pulitzer.
Thanks from:
06-04-2020, 22:24   #24
Danger781

Finished Station Eleven. Not a huge fan if I'm honest. Left me feeling like the book had unfulfilled potential. Not enough focus on the post-apocalyptic elements of the story and far too much focus on the backstory of insignificant characters.

Started reading Sam Harris' book Waking Up. Not an easy read so far even though I've just started.
Advertisement
07-04-2020, 17:33   #25
mustang shelly

I've just finished The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury and really enjoyed this first of five novels in the Sean Reilly series.

The Vatican lend some of their prized artifacts, which are normally hidden deep within the Vatican vaults, to the Met in New York for display. On the opening night, four horseman raid the Met leaving a trail of destruction and death in their wake.

In comes FBI agent Sean Reilly to investigate the case alongside an archaeologist that was in attendance at the raid and a Vatican representative. Soon it becomes clear that the motive behind the raid is not a straightforward robbery but something much more sinister, that the Catholic Church would kill to keep secret.
Thanks from:
07-04-2020, 18:23   #26
branie2

The Guardians, the latest John Grisham thriller
10-04-2020, 16:10   #27
mustang shelly

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl.

Another one of the books recommended by the Auschwitz Memorial that I decided to read. Unfortunately this particular book wasn't my cup of tea, I couldn't wait to finish it.
10-04-2020, 16:46   #28
TheRepentent

Currently reading Fatherland by Richard Harris (good so far , surprised I hadn't read it before).

Also reading (and would be a great cure for insomniacs) the Blitzkrieg Legend...the bundeswehrs analysis of the 1940 panzer campaign in the west. Good but only if military history is your thing
Thanks from:
11-04-2020, 07:51   #29
Foweva Awone

I've started into "An Astronaut's Guide To Life", a memoir by Chris Hadfield. He mentions that his earnestness is a bit of a joke to his children. And he really does come across as very earnest, idealistic, on the verge of preachy. That aside, it's a good read - he's an astronaut, how could it not be interesting!
(3) thanks from:
11-04-2020, 21:20   #30
Thargor

Took a punt on the Chivalry series by Christian Cameron:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/132815-chivalry

And its great. Young English squire heads off to war in France to make his fortune, reads a lot like Emperor by Conn Iggulden. Couldnt have come at a better time either, bored all day at work then bored all evening at home. He has a Greek series and a Roman series and Im just going to grab them now aswell because Im tearing through the first series.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion