Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-06-2020, 02:50   #181
Arghus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
Have you heard of this book? I've been meaning to read it, seems to be in the same vein as what you mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agains...arliest_States
No, first I've heard of it, but it does sound interesting.
Advertisement
20-06-2020, 22:22   #182
_Godot_

I read The Luminous Dead in two days, then reread Nevermoor to refresh my memory before I start the sequel.
20-06-2020, 23:39   #183
El Guapo!

Just finished November Road by Lou Berney.
Not your typical crime thriller but I thought it was fantastic. Highly recommended.

Description from Amazon:
A loyal street lieutenant to New Orleans’ mob boss Carlos Marcello, Guidry knows too much about the crime of the century: the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Within hours of JFK’s murder, everyone with ties to Marcello is turning up dead. Suspecting he’s next, Guidry hits the road to Las Vegas. When he spots a beautiful housewife and her two young daughters stranded on the side of the road, he sees the perfect disguise to cover his tracks from the hit men on his trail.

The two strangers share the open road west – and find each other on the way. But Guidry’s relentless hunters are closing in on him, and now he doesn’t want to just survive, he wants to really live, maybe for the first time.

Everyone’s expendable, or they should be, but Guidry just can’t throw away the woman he’s come to love. And it might get them both killed.

Also re-read War by Sebastian Junger.

If you have any interest in war, specifically the Afghan war, then this is a must-read. Gripping stuff. Superbly written and is as authentic as it gets. Having been to Afghanistan myself, I can tell you this book describes the landscape so perfectly, and captures the relationship and unique bond between the troops so well that it sucks you in and really makes you feel like you're there. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Description from Amazon:
For 15 months, Sebastian Junger accompanied a single platoon of thirty men from the celebrated 2nd battalion of the U.S. Army, as they fought their way through a remote valley in Eastern Afghanistan. Over the course of five trips, Junger was in more firefights than he could count, men he knew were killed or wounded, and he himself was almost killed. His relationship with these soldiers grew so close that they considered him part of the platoon, and he enjoyed an access and a candidness that few, if any, journalists ever attain.

But this is more than just a book about Afghanistan or the 'War on Terror'; it is a book about the universal truth of all men, in all wars. Junger set out to answer what he thought of as the 'hand grenade question': why would a man throw himself on a hand grenade to save other men he has probably known for only a few months? The answer is elusive but profound, and goes to the heart of what it means not just to be a soldier, but to be human.

‘War’ is a narrative about combat: the fear of dying, the trauma of killing and the love between platoon-mates who would rather die than let each other down. Gripping, honest, intense, it explores the neurological, psychological and social elements of combat, and the incredible bonds that form between these small groups of men.
29-06-2020, 00:32   #184
farmerval

Just finished Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney
Really enjoyed this book, "caveat that quite a bit was used in Normal People which I had read previously" that was quite annoying.
Good book, good dialogue, interesting relationship dynamics. I enjoyed it considerably more than Normal People.
29-06-2020, 00:36   #185
Esse85

Why We Sleep - Matthew Walker
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-06-2020, 02:17   #186
Biafranlivemat

Political murder in Northern Ireland by Martin Dillon.
It is old, but excellent.
https://www.amazon.com/Political-Nor.../dp/0140523081
29-06-2020, 21:34   #187
Thargor

I read Atonement and was bored out of my skull, then For Whom the Bell Tolls, slightly better but still not the classic I was expecting, now Im half way through A Prayer for Owen Meaney and Im bored again, I think Ill head back to the sci-fi/fantasy realm for a while after this.
Thanks from:
29-06-2020, 21:42   #188
Kamu

Flash Boys by Michael Lewis

A great look at the rise and impact of High Frequency Trading in the wake of the financial crash of 2008.

Really highlights the fact that the 'little' person is being screwed by these massive financial institutions and that we should be thankful for any scraps they throw out way.

It's all about money.

Highly recommend if you have an interest in the inner workings of trading and the stock market.
30-06-2020, 10:32   #189
gutenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esse85 View Post
Why We Sleep - Matthew Walker
I found that a fascinating read and really enjoyed it - apart from the discussion of various sleep disorders and their effects

I am about to start Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-06-2020, 23:33   #190
appledrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutenberg View Post
I found that a fascinating read and really enjoyed it - apart from the discussion of various sleep disorders and their effects

I am about to start Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo.
I really enjoyed Girl, Woman, Other. I think it had the edge over The Testaments for Booker prize even though I really enjoyed that book aswell.
01-07-2020, 11:26   #191
nigeldaniel

Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist. I read it before, but, a shortage of books lately meant I went over it again.
01-07-2020, 12:53   #192
Kamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeldaniel View Post
Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist. I read it before, but, a shortage of books lately meant I went over it again.
It's a very good book, though it's a victim of its own hype.
01-07-2020, 13:57   #193
Thelonious Monk
Banned

Revolutionary Road, it's very funny.
Grit: the power of passion and perseverance, basically you get out of life what you put into it, she's banging on about for chapter after chapter
Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph, this is like 1200 pages, will take me forever to read
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse - some spiritually buddhisty thing I just started

I'm getting carried away with books these days with all the time at home but I'm going to stick with just these for now!
04-07-2020, 15:31   #194
bnt

Just finished Beauty, Disrupted, the autobiography of model and actress Carré Otis. The title is the worst thing about it: I started it early this morning, just to see if I thought it was readable, and found it hard to put down. The first 1/3 is tough stuff, going about how she struggled in school due to dyslexia, ran away from home, practically fell in to modelling and suddenly found herself doing cover shoots in New York for a top agency. Then she was sent to Paris for even glossier assignments, but is raped by a top fashion director (who was engaged to another supermodel at the time), and after a disastrous stint in Milan, throws it all in and goes home. Except that Mickey Rourke has seen her work and wants her for an erotic film set in Brazil ... which is where the next part starts. Of course it's written from her point of view, but even allowing for that you still end up rooting for Carré and wondering how the hell she's not dead, which she came close to on several occasions. Riveting stuff.
05-07-2020, 00:50   #195
The Princess Bride

Just started A Traveller At The Gates Of Wisdom by John Boyne.
I love his books, and find it so easy to read and enjoy his writing
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion