Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-03-2020, 12:20   #1
Troaway

Legal advice - COVID-19, WFH (NI)

Hello,

Basically, I am an IT guy, solo guy in a company. Now my notice was handed in a long time ago, I gave them about 5 months to find a replacement etc as there is a lot to transition over (Work solo).

They only ended up offering a position to someone to start next Monday.
I have a baby due in 1-2 weeks, COVID-19 is freaking me and my partner out. I have requested to work from home twice, they said no, primarily because i need to be here to train the new person when they start.

I can do the majority of my work remotely, access servers, write up documentation, do teams sessions, accessing employee's computers. So I feel like I fall into the category that can work from home.

I'll be honest I feel like taking my laptop home this evening and just sending a formal email stating that I am working from home until this calms down. But I need my pay etc for baby on the way.

What are my options here? I am very nervous about contracting this thing in my place 200+ staff
Advertisement
24-03-2020, 12:25   #2
GreeBo

If you handed in your notice months ago what's the issue?
24-03-2020, 12:29   #3
Troaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeBo View Post
If you handed in your notice months ago what's the issue?

Well if I suddenly say to them I dont want to come in, they might not pay me. I still have bills to pay until my new Job. I dont start for a while yet
24-03-2020, 13:40   #4
Claw Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troaway View Post
Well if I suddenly say to them I dont want to come in, they might not pay me. I still have bills to pay until my new Job. I dont start for a while yet
If they are paying the Piper, they are calling the tune.
Thanks from:
24-03-2020, 21:04   #5
GreeBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troaway View Post
This would be helpful info for your opening post!

If they can't do without you then you just tell them you are working from home, they can't for you without notice so it probably ask ends up the same

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion