Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legal advice - COVID-19, WFH (NI)

• 24-03-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello,

Basically, I am an IT guy, solo guy in a company. Now my notice was handed in a long time ago, I gave them about 5 months to find a replacement etc as there is a lot to transition over (Work solo).

They only ended up offering a position to someone to start next Monday.
    I have a baby due in 1-2 weeks, COVID-19 is freaking me and my partner out. I have requested to work from home twice, they said no, primarily because i need to be here to train the new person when they start.

I can do the majority of my work remotely, access servers, write up documentation, do teams sessions, accessing employee's computers. So I feel like I fall into the category that can work from home.

I'll be honest I feel like taking my laptop home this evening and just sending a formal email stating that I am working from home until this calms down. But I need my pay etc for baby on the way.

What are my options here? I am very nervous about contracting this thing in my place 200+ staff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you handed in your notice months ago what's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Troaway

GreeBo wrote: »
    If you handed in your notice months ago what's the issue?

Well if I suddenly say to them I dont want to come in, they might not pay me. I still have bills to pay until my new Job. I dont start for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Troaway wrote: »
    Well if I suddenly say to them I dont want to come in, they might not pay me. I still have bills to pay until my new Job. I dont start for a while yet

If they are paying the Piper, they are calling the tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Troaway wrote: »

This would be helpful info for your opening post!

If they can't do without you then you just tell them you are working from home, they can't for you without notice so it probably ask ends up the same

Advertisement