Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-03-2020, 14:23   #1
magicray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 495
Holiday will most likely be cancelled - rights ?

We are due to go on holidays on the 15th of April, nice all inclusive trip with some guided tours included , its been paid in full

The company (which I won't name) have cancelled their tours until the 6th of April so far and are only offering a voucher back to use off another holiday to those people - their t&c say if they cancel a full refund will be issued

I am expecting our trip to be cancelled soon and am wondering am I within my rights not to accept a voucher ?

I did ring them 2 weeks ago before this all took off and asked could we reschedule our trip to later in the year and they said no, they also said we would lose 80% of the cost if we cancelled so we chose to wait it out and see

This is the section of the t&c I am reading

d) If prior to the departure date there is a cancellation, alteration, change or curtailment relating to a holiday, which results in more than 12 hours change in the time of departure, or a change of resort or in the type of accommodation offered, or some other change which fundamentally alters the holiday, the Organiser shall, if practicable, offer an alternative comparable holiday of at least similar standard or shall refund the Consumer all monies paid. Unless within four days of issue of the offer of an alternative holiday, it is declined by the Consumer in writing, the Organiser shall assume that the Consumer has accepted such offer. Where the offer is declined the Consumer shall only be entitled to return of payment made.
magicray is offline  
Advertisement
17-03-2020, 14:26   #2
drunkmonkey
Registered User
 
drunkmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 22,180
Hold tight until they cancel get your money back not a voucher.
drunkmonkey is offline  
Thanks from:
17-03-2020, 14:28   #3
magicray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmonkey View Post
Hold tight until they cancel get your money back not a voucher.
Yes thats what we are doing but they are only offering vouchers at the moment for the holidays they have cancelled not money back
magicray is offline  
17-03-2020, 14:31   #4
FluffPiece
Registered User
 
FluffPiece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 180
I'd nearly be tempted to name and shame if I was in your shoes. Some companies deserve the bad rep and have people know what they are like.

I have a trip booked upcoming at the end of this month. It was booked since September last year. A couple of weeks ago following a similar closure announcement of some of their stuff, I contacted them and they gave us a choice to rebook at a later stage this year free of charges or to have a refund. whichever we wanted.

We've chosen to go later this year instead of opting for a refund as they were honest and accommodating about it.
FluffPiece is online now  
(2) thanks from:
17-03-2020, 14:38   #5
magicray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffPiece View Post
We've chosen to go later this year instead of opting for a refund as they were honest and accommodating about it.
See that's exactly what we wanted to do, I think the customer service is absolutely shocking and I apart from anything else treating people like this does not give me much confidence that they will be in business for long enough for me to use a voucher
magicray is offline  
Advertisement
17-03-2020, 14:41   #6
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffPiece View Post
I'd nearly be tempted to name and shame if I was in your shoes. Some companies deserve the bad rep and have people know what they are like.

I have a trip booked upcoming at the end of this month. It was booked since September last year. A couple of weeks ago following a similar closure announcement of some of their stuff, I contacted them and they gave us a choice to rebook at a later stage this year free of charges or to have a refund. whichever we wanted.

We've chosen to go later this year instead of opting for a refund as they were honest and accommodating about it.
At this stage the company have done absolutely nothing wrong, as unlikely as it sounds, if the holiday is deemed safe to go ahead, this will be a change of mind situation. At this stage it is hard to see holidays like this going ahead in that timeframe, if the company cancels then op will get money back. There is currently no shame to name.
Dav010 is offline  
17-03-2020, 14:44   #7
dartboardio
Registered User
 
dartboardio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,808
If their t&cs stated a full refund will be issued then you will get a full refund.

Just refuse the voucher and quote the t&cs, job done.
dartboardio is offline  
Thanks from:
17-03-2020, 14:52   #8
magicray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
At this stage the company have done absolutely nothing wrong, as unlikely as it sounds, if the holiday is deemed safe to go ahead, this will be a change of mind situation. At this stage it is hard to see holidays like this going ahead in that timeframe, if the company cancels then op will get money back. There is currently no shame to name.
The countries borders have closed and we would be subject to a 14 day quarantine when we get there - so really I don't understand why its still going ahead , anyway I'll wait it out a bit longer
magicray is offline  
17-03-2020, 15:02   #9
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicray View Post
The countries borders have closed and we would be subject to a 14 day quarantine when we get there - so really I don't understand why its still going ahead , anyway I'll wait it out a bit longer
It is fair to assume that it will be cancelled. It is quite complex for businesses. A virus outbreak is a force majuere, an act of God, insurance does not cover this. But if a Government closes down a country, then Insurance companies have to pay out. At the moment border closures and flight restrictions may only be in force up to a certain date, as they are extended, say after April 6th, then travel companies will be able to get reimbursement from insurance companies for losses and pay their clients. Sit tight.
Dav010 is offline  
Advertisement
17-03-2020, 15:05   #10
skinny90
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,760
What about initiating a charge back?
My boat I am due to fly to Asia on April 3rd
There is 2 stops Greece and Singapore on the way and on the way back it’s Singapore Berlin on way back.
It’s fairly certain the flights will be cancelled. We have contacted to see if we can a) change the dates to the end of this year or next year
B) get our money back

The company won’t deal with any queries unless where due to fly in 5 days time l. They will just hang up.
In my case it’s edreams
Any advice ?
skinny90 is offline  
17-03-2020, 15:06   #11
FluffPiece
Registered User
 
FluffPiece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
At this stage the company have done absolutely nothing wrong, as unlikely as it sounds, if the holiday is deemed safe to go ahead, this will be a change of mind situation. At this stage it is hard to see holidays like this going ahead in that timeframe, if the company cancels then op will get money back. There is currently no shame to name.
That I would normally agree with, but the OP has said that so far where this company has actually cancelled for others, all that was offered was a voucher instead of the option for a full refund. I'm sure if you refused the voucher, you would get the refund but you shouldn't have to fight for a refund where it's cancelled.
FluffPiece is online now  
17-03-2020, 16:02   #12
silver2020
Registered User
 
silver2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 567
remember these companies are dealing with thousands of queries and looking at a huge loss of business, so can't really afford to take on more staff.

We all simply have to be patient. Email is by far the best form of communication.

Put a booking ref and date of travel/event/stay in the subject line and then give a short concise query.

If you babble on for several paragraphs, it will be shunted to one side.

Allow a couple of days for response - if they don't respond, resend it, but not with any narky remarks. Remember a huge number of people and companies are under immense pressure and they don't need unwarranted hassle.

Please be polite
silver2020 is offline  
17-03-2020, 16:08   #13
Fireball81
Registered User
 
Fireball81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver2020 View Post
remember these companies are dealing with thousands of queries and looking at a huge loss of business, so can't really afford to take on more staff.

We all simply have to be patient. Email is by far the best form of communication.

Put a booking ref and date of travel/event/stay in the subject line and then give a short concise query.

If you babble on for several paragraphs, it will be shunted to one side.

Allow a couple of days for response - if they don't respond, resend it, but not with any narky remarks. Remember a huge number of people and companies are under immense pressure and they don't need unwarranted hassle.

Please be polite
I know people are concerned about their trips in the coming months but the airlines and co have all asked only to contact them if your departure is in the next 72 hours - perfectly reasonable in my opinion given the sheer volume of queries they will have.

No company could plan for this level of disruption, we have a trip in August, will wait a while before contacting them.
Fireball81 is offline  
17-03-2020, 18:28   #14
magicray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 495
Thanks all, I do understand this is an awful situation for all concerned and totally unprecedented , I am always polite having worked in a customer facing role for too many years

I do understand too that they are looking after the people that are travelling sooner than me - in the next 2 weeks

My question really was that if/when my trip is cancelled am I entitled to insist on a refund and not a voucher - that is all they are offering the people that were to travel in the next 2 weeks at the moment
I am kind of hoping that these people will have the arguments first so when my turn comes around it will be sorted
magicray is offline  
17-03-2020, 18:34   #15
Emmersonn
Registered User
 
Emmersonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 954
We were supposed to travel to Canada on 27th this month which includes a train journey across Canada. We got word from the travel agents yesterday that they were cancelling all trips. We were given the choice of rescheduling or a full refund. We opted for the refund.
Emmersonn is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet