Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-03-2020, 12:29   #1
SachaJ

Impact of COVID-19 on motor industry?

https://autovistagroup.com/news-and-...wered-covid-19

Interesting read. I was due to change the car this month, perhaps as soon as next week, but I'm giving serious thought to pushing out for a few months. Already I've seen notes of people losing jobs in Ireland, Norwegian Airlines laying off 50% of staff temporarily which would suggest Irish airlines could follow suit (& the DAA), pubs closing, tourism sector will surely be down etc. I was made redundant as a direct result of SARS in 2003 so aware of what could be coming.

I think it's going to be a rocky few months.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2020, 12:39   #2
Cushtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachaJ View Post
https://autovistagroup.com/news-and-...wered-covid-19

Interesting read. I was due to change the car this month, perhaps as soon as next week, but I'm giving serious thought to pushing out for a few months. Already I've seen notes of people losing jobs in Ireland, Norwegian Airlines laying off 50% of staff temporarily which would suggest Irish airlines could follow suit (& the DAA), pubs closing, tourism sector will surely be down etc. I was made redundant as a direct result of SARS in 2003 so aware of what could be coming.

I think it's going to be a rocky few months.
Working in the Industry. I think it will be pretty serious. Expecting layoff / redundancy. Working from home currently but not sure if there will be anything to go back to.
Thanks from:
15-03-2020, 12:42   #3
greasepalm

Yep unknown what is coming and for how long,bank past me has around 3500 staff and many working from home and how quiet the road is now .Many of them get car serviced with us and bookings are very slim next week.If the pub closes i will have outsource my lunch elsewhere.If the motor factors get hit and have to close.Plenty of places shutting up shop hoping it wont be too long before reopening,so to anyone out there BE SAFE.
(2) thanks from:
15-03-2020, 12:44   #4
Tzardine

Picking up new car tomorrow from dealer. Have been waiting 4 months on it to be built. Been all sorts of delays along the way.

I have a feeling that the dealer wont open in the morning - it would be typical of my luck.
15-03-2020, 12:45   #5
SachaJ

I'm in financial services and we're all instructed to work from home. That's about 2000 staff that are not commuting, buying lunch, using their cars (buying petrol diesel) etc.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2020, 12:46   #6
Cushtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzardine View Post
Picking up new car tomorrow from dealer. Have been waiting 4 months on it to be built. Been all sorts of delays along the way.

I have a feeling that the dealer wont open in the morning - it would be typical of my luck.
Give them a call. There will be someone there I'd say. Any dealer will be anxious to complete deals on the current environment.
15-03-2020, 12:47   #7

People will still need to get around when all this blows over. Think a substantial ‘carbon tax’ on petrol & diesel might be ushered in on back of this though. Especially with current drop in oil prices. Convenient timing to get over the backlash and passed off as dealing with virus issues.
15-03-2020, 12:49   #8
greasepalm

Check on their website for updates
15-03-2020, 12:50   #9

I deliver car parts to a certain chain. I was talking to the lads in the warehouse in Dublin the other day and they were saying their branches in the Midlands and west could close for a while as nobody is getting parts to get their car fixed...
Advertisement
15-03-2020, 13:03   #10
recyclebin

There will be very few industries that will not be effected by COVID-19. Everything bar the essentials will be closed down for a good while I think.
(2) thanks from:
15-03-2020, 13:11   #11
Idbatterim

who the hell would buy a new car now? short of being retired etc with guaranteed income and lump sum of cash etc...
15-03-2020, 13:41   #12
Lantus

Bigger recession than 08 coming. Massive disruption to business and economies will touch everyone. Debt levels being carried by business and individuals is higher than 12 years ago.

Treatments for covit 19 are 4 to 6 months off and the vaccine 12 to 18. Challenging times ahead......
15-03-2020, 13:49   #13
road_high

Unfortunately one of the first industries to be affected. No one will be buying cars at all in the current circumstances And travel will be greatly reduced meaning far less for supply and service aspects of the industry.
If I was in the market for a new car I’d be holding onto my cash and seeing how this all unfolds. Very tough for anyone involved but hopefully it’ll pass and regain the business once things return to normal.

Last edited by road_high; 15-03-2020 at 13:52.
Thanks from:
15-03-2020, 13:51   #14
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin View Post
There will be very few industries that will not be effected by COVID-19. Everything bar the essentials will be closed down for a good while I think.
Basic food supplies will be a boom as will anything medical related but unfortunately everything else will suffer
15-03-2020, 13:56   #15
cnoc

FAO: BarryD2.

Great to see you advocating further taxes on motorists. People are facing a very uncertain future - not more sanctions. Jobs losses are mounting, not to mention those who have already contacted the virus.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion