Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-03-2020, 11:02   #1
mjp

In isolation but due to start new job next week

I'm due to start a new job next wednesday but returning back from lanzarote today. Govt requesting people returning back from Spain to self isolate. Doesn't mention I'd this related to mainland spain or canary islands. There are no cases on our island here yet.

Wondering as my contract states I due to begin work 18th will I get paid for period I wont be working for or is it tough luck as haven't worked first day yet. It's a financial institution that I starting role with.
Advertisement
14-03-2020, 11:05   #2
Foweva Awone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp View Post
I'm due to start a new job next wednesday but returning back from lanzarote today. Govt requesting people returning back from Spain to self isolate. Doesn't mention I'd this related to mainland spain or canary islands. There are no cases on our island here yet.

Wondering as my contract states I due to begin work 18th will I get paid for period I wont be working for or is it tough luck as haven't worked first day yet. It's a financial institution that I starting role with.
I would contact them to explain the situation and discuss the possibility of working from home - it's very likely a lot of their employees are doing this already. If that's not feasible, I wouldn't expect you'll be paid unless perhaps if you get a cert from your doctor saying you have to self-isolate.
Thanks from:
14-03-2020, 11:06   #3
wirelessdude01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Mainland and the islands.
14-03-2020, 11:10   #4
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessdude01 View Post
Mainland and the islands.
Contact them, they'll be happy enough to delay your start.

Get a cert from your doctor and you'll get the dole instead.
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 00:49   #5
ted1

Chances are that they won’t be open or want new hires in.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion